red
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

SLP vs Granatelli MAF sensor

hey, what's up everyone. i am new to this forum so this is my first post. i have a 2000 Camaro SS convertable and have started putting a couple parts onto it. i am gonna order the SLP airlid and the SLP bellow but i don't know whether to go with the SLP maf sensor or the granatelli. is there really much of a difference in the 2 performance wise. if there isn't i the SLP will save me a little over $100. any input will help.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock MAF > aftermarket.

Spend yer $$ elsewhere.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Agree, get a lid - leave the MAF alone.

Although the MAF is usually a mod done after the basic mods are done (such as a lid & cat-back exhaust), you will recieve a dyno proven 8-25 RWHP on a stock LS1.

If you're looking for a lid, they are relatively the same HP gain irreguardless the company. If you want a price, give us a call at Granatelli, ask for sales, and say Mike recommended you...tell them you're interested in SLP's lid and want a price on ours. That should help you out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by GMS Fleet View Post
    dyno proven 8-25 RWHP on a stock LS1.
    Please post the proof.

Anyone else have independant results?

here's the GMS MAF HP gain proof. if this isn't enough proof i can take a picture of the Camaro we used to test it in the back and a picture of our dyno.

Our lid is also a suggested buy for better induction. it adds 17 HP & 12 lb/ft tq.

Last edited by GMS Fleet; 07-20-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

So...with lid and MAF...I will have at least gained 25 RWHP???

Does that include tuning for the MAF? Does that include the tune you guys tossed on it to make the power??
    Add $500 for the dynotune to get those kinda numbers.

Also...please post A/F before and after for MAF gains.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Get a lid. Won't get 17rwhp from it but it's still a must do. I had a GMAF a few years ago and it was a POS! Keep the maf stock.

red
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

ok cool, thanks for the help guys. i am gonna stick with the SLP airlid although i did see that Summit.com has their Granatelli lid on clearance for like $70 right now. my buddy has a 2002 trans am with the ram air and the owner before him put a new lid in. they then put a breather coming off a hose on the right side. if you buy an aftermarket lid do you have to buy the breather( like the one in the pic of the granatelli lid) or is that hose supposed to insert into the new lid?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

since yours is a 00 you wont need the breather. 01-02's need the breather.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I had a GMAF for a couple of months. It was a POS. I did with it what I do with anything I no longer have a need for. I EBAYed it. Just knock the screen out of your stock MAF. It pops right out clean. My car has run better since. The lid is a must have though.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

do not remove the screen. the screen is there to move the air past the elements. if you remove it, you get a lot of unmetered air.

Quote Originally Posted by amitc31100 View Post
    SummitRacing.com has their Granatelli lid on clearance for like $70 right now.
    Actually, I'm at Summit Racing's website and it's $52.50. Why would you be spending more money on an SLP lid just to have an SLP lid? Like I said before, a lid is a lid.

my buddy has a 2002 trans am with the ram air and the owner before him put a new lid in. they then put a breather coming off a hose on the right side. if you buy an aftermarket lid do you have to buy the breather( like the one in the pic of the granatelli lid) or is that hose supposed to insert into the new lid?
    You mean the air injection hose? Stock lids as well as SLP has their air injection hoses hook into the lid. Our GMS lid is set-up so the air injection isn't hooked into the lid. I can't say for sure whether or not this makes a difference; however, the whole thing about these lids is to reduce air turbulence and a hose sucking out air from your lid doesn't sound like it would help. Also, I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 and it IS equipped with air injection!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    So...with lid and MAF...I will have at least gained 25 RWHP???.
    I can't give specific numbers, but chances are it would be more HP gain then standalone (ex. Bob has GMS MAF, gained 12 peak RWHP. Billy has GMS lid, gained 13 RWHP. Jack has GMS MAF and GMS lid, gained 27 RWHP). Mods go hand-in-hand with each other. Just like cams, everyone sees a difference in HP with the same cam because it's all about the supporting mods. The freer flowing components enhance each other's capabilities to do their job better.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Does that include tuning for the MAF? Does that include the tune you guys tossed on it to make the power??
    Add $500 for the dynotune to get those kinda numbers.

Also...please post A/F before and after for MAF gains.
    There is NO TUNING NEEDED with our mass air-flow. The component is completely plug-and-play. And again, there is NO TUNING done between our dyno sheets on our mass air-flows. That is pure gains from the Granatelli mass air-flow.

The air to fuel ratio does not change before and after MAF install.

Quote Originally Posted by supermando View Post
    Just knock the screen out of your stock MAF. It pops right out clean. My car has run better since. The lid is a must have though.
    Ok, so you didn't gain anything from our MAF and yet you gained more HP by de-screening your current MAF? Your stock MAF is more restrictive than the GMS MAF, irreguardless that you de-screened the stock one. You probably gained minimal numbers, if anything for messing with your stock MAF (which has a significant higher chance of misfire, because the screen is there on the stock MAF for a reason). Dyno numbers do not lie my friend, but your assumptions aren't proven.

So many people on forums jump to conclusions, many without even having first-hand experience. I'm not saying go get the GMS MAF as your first mod. In fact, most of our customers who order the mass air-flow usually have a few mods prior. If I were you I'd get a lid, exhaust, sub-frames, do the free mods, then think about it...and with myself after having an intake and ported throttle body, I wouldn't think otherwise to have the GMS MAF to support every other high-flow intake parts.
    Last edited by GMS Fleet; 07-21-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by GMS Fleet View Post
    The air to fuel ratio does not change before and after MAF install.
    I would love to see some proof of this as well.
    Obviously to compare it against my POS MAF that leaned my car WAY out and left it stuck 900 miles from home.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have 1st hand experience, your GMAF is a piece of sh%t! I wasted $3XX on that thing to make my car studder and misfire in damp wheather. Put the stocker back on and no more problems, never looked back.

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

keep the stick maf unless u got some awesome tuner on hand. even then get the c5 Z06 maf. lids should only be used for non ram air hoods. hoods with ram air aka ws6/firehawk hood and ultra z hood should get volant cai imo

red
    2000 trans am

hey, what's up everyone. i am new to this forum so this is my first post. i have a 2000 Camaro SS convertable and have started putting a couple parts onto it. i am gonna order the SLP airlid and the SLP bellow but i don't know whether to go with the SLP maf sensor or the granatelli. is there really much of a difference in the 2 performance wise. if there isn't i the SLP will save me a little over $100. any input will help.
    slp in not ported out like the GRANATELLI is . the slp has metal that runs strate through the middle and restrictes air flow . GRANATELLI does not you will feel the differents i ran them both.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jamie williams View Post
    slp in not ported out like the GRANATELLI is . the slp has metal that runs strate through the middle and restrictes air flow . GRANATELLI does not you will feel the differents i ran them both.
    I think he's probably bought one by now seeing as how this thread is 4 years old.

black
    1999 camaro SS

hahaha both maf's in question were junk then and they're still junk to this day!! how do these companies stay in buisness?? 27 hp.. who in their right mind would ever believe that lol

Thread Information