Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

SLP Smooth Bellow Debate

Ok, I've searched and searched, but I'm just curious as to if anyone here can tell me that there is a difference with replacing our ribbed bellow with the SLP smooth bellow. Just thinking about it, I don't see a $50 difference in the amount of undisturbed air that the SLP is offering to justify buying one. Just looking for some good input / facts and if I'm proven wrong, then I thank you guys for helping me decide to pick one up.
    LATAZ !!

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

I have one, but only becuase when I installed my nitrous nozzle I ripped a hole in the ribbed one. I didn't notice a difference. Just my .02
    Black 98 Z-28, whisper air lid, ported polished descreened maf, slp smooth bellow, modified tb, 04 gto plug wires, ngk TR6 plugs, Megan underdrive pulley, cold fusion nitrous kit, k&n, removed cats, glass pack , casper o2 simulators, 3.73 gears, Burnt up 4l-60e, drilled and slotted rotors,

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not worth buying the SLP overpriced pile.

Go to Home Depot. Get a Fernco coupling. $5. Looks better actually. Since that is all that mod does...cleans up the intake tract.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have one, its an improvement over stock but I can't say how much. Its an appearance improvement as well. Its not a make or break mod by any means though.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Awaiting Activation
    i have one, but only because i like the improved appearance. No performance gains.

2001 Black SS #5228

Looks better. I like it.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have one, its an improvement over stock but I can't say how much. Its an appearance improvement as well. Its not a make or break mod by any means though.
    did you have it flowed compared to the stock one or atleast did you have a dyno pull between the two?
    if you did either, you wouldnt be saying its a performance improvement over stock.

bellows are a waste of money
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Not worth buying the SLP overpriced pile.

Go to Home Depot. Get a Fernco coupling. $5. Looks better actually. Since that is all that mod does...cleans up the intake tract.
    Looks better than the SLP?

Theres no rib or lip in the fernco right?

I thought about getting one from time to time, but after being hasty with buying the Weiand intake, I am now a little more careful with $. Not that $50 is all that much, but still....

Isnt the fernco a pain to install? I rememeber reading about cutting and heating the item in order for it to fit. What is a Fernco anyway? What section would it be in at Home Depot?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    did you have it flowed compared to the stock one or atleast did you have a dyno pull between the two?
    if you did either, you wouldnt be saying its a performance improvement over stock.

bellows are a waste of money
    Did neither, I know its not really an improvement over stock, but its certainly not worse than the stock bellows, thats why I gave a generic statement. Its a mod in the same category as the STB IMO, all appearance no performance

On another note, when I had my SS vert I dynoed it 33 times. Most of us know that you can change absolutely nothing on the car and see a difference of ~5 HP between pulls. I once had a 9 HP difference from one pull, letting it cool down and then making another pull(1st pull 321, 2nd pull 330). I always laugh at all those lid dyno comparisons, I really doubt any of them are any better than the rest. The only real difference in them is fitment and looks.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 11-12-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Looks better than the SLP?

Theres no rib or lip in the fernco right?

I thought about getting one from time to time, but after being hasty with buying the Weiand intake, I am now a little more careful with $. Not that $50 is all that much, but still....

Isnt the fernco a pain to install? I rememeber reading about cutting and heating the item in order for it to fit. What is a Fernco anyway? What section would it be in at Home Depot?
    It would be in the plumbing section, its about $5 and a HUGE PIA to try to install, if you can get it installed.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Did neither, I know its not really an improvement over stock, but its certainly not worse than the stock bellows, thats why I gave a generic statement. Its a mod in the same category as the STB IMO, all appearance no performance

On another note, when I had my SS vert I dynoed it 33 times. Most of us know that you can change absolutely nothing on the car and see a difference of ~5 HP between pulls. I once had a 9 HP difference from one pull, letting it cool down and then making another pull(1st pull 321, 2nd pull 330). I always laugh at all those lid dyno comparisons, I really doubt any of them are any better than the rest. The only real difference in them is fitment and looks.
    in the one post, you made it somewhat sound like its better. i hate seeing people waste their money on useless mods.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    in the one post, you made it somewhat sound like its better. i hate seeing people waste their money on useless mods.
    I know what you are saying about hating to see people spend money on useless mods. All I was attempting to say was the smooth bellows isn't by any means worse than the stock bellows, thus being better(probably equal to) than stock by default. If you got the $$$$$ and you want something that looks better, buy it, but don't expect to see any gains down the 1320 or on the dyno with it. You are correct though, I probably didn't word my first post very well though.

<-----for my first post

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

While adding a bellow from SLP I also recommend adding a turbonator ALONG with a velocity stack to maximize your gains

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It would be in the plumbing section, its about $5 and a HUGE PIA to try to install, if you can get it installed.
    All I had to do to mine was to warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds.

And yes, the Fernco is not ribbed and it doesn't have the buldge. $5 in the plumbing section of the local home store. Lowes, Home Depot, etc...

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

try airflow online for similar products.. i think that's it anyway

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post

Taste yummy.
    no Kages but what's in your Avatar sure as hell does...

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i have one. cant say if it makes enough of a differenceto make it worth it or not though. i installed that, mti lid w/ K&N, and Shaner S3 port/polished throttle body all at once. even with all that, it didnt seem to make that big of a difference, so i doubt just the bellow does much. lol.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

If you want to get it and you plan on getting the lid filter and the cold air induction just get the SLP pakage and you get a discount and the below become like a 10 piece then... I think it's worth the 10 bucks for easy fitment and nicer looks.

It kinda a pian in the arse to put the lid and below onto the car but once you figure out the best way to put it together its easy after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    All I had to do to mine was to warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds.
    And yes, the Fernco is not ribbed and it doesn't have the buldge. $5 in the plumbing section of the local home store. Lowes, Home Depot, etc...
    I remember this.

However, after you install it and drive around for a while, when you go to clean your air box or such, must you re-heat it again?

Thread Information