blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Question slp maf sensor, the t/a likes it

I DONT GET IT!?!?!?!? okay so i've had this slp maf sensor sitting in my closet since i took it off my 02' SS. i took it off cause all it did was make the car bog a little at low rpms <3k(SS ran like s**t), it also threw a lean code till i installed the diablo predator with the slp power tune, the (ses light turned off but the car still ran like s**t) LSS, the SS got totaled and i have a ws6 now. the cars are pretty much identical in mods, slp airlid and the diablo w/slp power tune. i was bored one day and decided to put the slp maf sensor on the t/a just to see what would happen. i was surprised, she had a little better throttle response. you could really feel it in the higher rpms, plus there was no code thrown or bogging of any kind. well my question is why would one car drive like s**t with the slp maf; bogg, throw codes ect....... and the other drive a better. and before the clean the stock maf sensor answer comes up i did that as soon as i got the car while i installed the airlid. the only difference in the cars that i can think of is that the t/a has no traction control would that have any effect on the way the P.C. would handle me changing the maf sensor? i was wondering if the people that have had success with the slp maf, do you have traction control or not?

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm not exactly sure why your old car bogged, but I put an slp (descreened)MAF on my 01SS, and I totally felt a difference in power and response. The guy I got it from said his car used to bog with it too! When I spoke to the guy at slp, he told me some cars didn't need the screen on to straighten out the airflow. Apperantly the percentage of cars is very low that can do it. He said I was lucky.

Not sure that was you were looking for, but wanted to tell you you're not the only one out there with the prob.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

I put an SLP 85MM MAF in my 02' SS and it was fine. I had also done a K&N FIPK, SLP CAI, throttle body bypass and 160 thermostat with a Diablo tune. One day I descreened the MAF and it ran like it had water in the gas!! I started throwing lean codes, so I put the OEM MAF back in and it ran fine. I ended up selling it to someone on the board.

Just like he said, unless you tune for it, it is a roll of the dice....
    2002 Camaro SS - SLP # 7744
    SLP SFC
    SLP Blackwing
    SLP Panhard Bar
    SLP LCA's
    SLP 85mm MAF
    SLP 160 degree stat
    SLP Y-pipe
    Diablo Tuner

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yeah it's kind of silly to change the MAF and leave the stock MAF tuning in the PCM...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

hey GGino... another thing. The SLP guy told me that you can't tune for an SLP MAF. It's got a "chip" in it that advances the timeing to give you power. It's a waste of time/money to try to tune with it in. The SLP guy said if you'll see WAY more gains if you go with the stock MAF and THEN tune the car.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Calstud86 View Post
    hey GGino... another thing. The SLP guy told me that you can't tune for an SLP MAF. It's got a "chip" in it that advances the timeing to give you power. It's a waste of time/money to try to tune with it in. The SLP guy said if you'll see WAY more gains if you go with the stock MAF and THEN tune the car.
    he told you what??? There is no chip in it that does anything with timing... It tunes just like the stock MAF does, it's output curve is just so much different than what is expected from a stock MAF that you should have the car tuned with it on there.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

frost, please tell me more.... apparently the SLP guy was full of sh*t. He told me i'd be way better off running the stock MAF then the SLP MAF for a tune.

He also said the the SLP MAF was great if you just ran it alone (ie no tune, or tweaks to the computer), as the stock MAF can support a decent amount of power as well.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

hey calstud86 does your SS have traction control? also i have come to the conclusion that the people at slp dont know crap about what they're selling, everytime i call i get a different answer about the same question.

hey FROST i see you're a tuner, does this sound right?, the people at slp told me that if the car was bogging at low rpms (my old SS) i should turn down the spark with my handheld tuner. someone else told me that it sounded like b.s., but i dont know, i dont know the first thing about tuning.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

frost, please tell me more.... apparently the SLP guy was full of sh*t. He told me i'd be way better off running the stock MAF then the SLP MAF for a tune.

He also said the the SLP MAF was great if you just ran it alone (ie no tune, or tweaks to the computer), as the stock MAF can support a decent amount of power as well.
    I don't know why he would say that. The benefit is less resistance to the incoming air, but without tuning, who knows what'll do to fueling. SLP includes a resistor though, that can be soldered across the elements to make it output more closely to a stock MAF if you want to run it without tuning. The MAF isn't the HP limit, it's the PCM's sampling and upper MAF frequency limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    hey calstud86 does your SS have traction control? also i have come to the conclusion that the people at slp dont know crap about what they're selling, everytime i call i get a different answer about the same question.

hey FROST i see you're a tuner, does this sound right?, the people at slp told me that if the car was bogging at low rpms (my old SS) i should turn down the spark with my handheld tuner. someone else told me that it sounded like b.s., but i dont know, i dont know the first thing about tuning.
    Lots of possibilities here, though fueling is most likely the culprit. Hesitations or studders are typically lean spots and overly slow revving out can be too rich. I would say that I seriously doubt an issue like that can be tuned out by simply lowering spark, though I guess in some instances it may be possible, but not likely. Bogging is often also a perceptive issue... was it a stock stalled auto or M6 and you were just lugging the motor? They don't throw out a lot of love down below 2K RPMs.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Lots of possibilities here, though fueling is most likely the culprit. Hesitations or studders are typically lean spots and overly slow revving out can be too rich. I would say that I seriously doubt an issue like that can be tuned out by simply lowering spark, though I guess in some instances it may be possible, but not likely. Bogging is often also a perceptive issue... was it a stock stalled auto or M6 and you were just lugging the motor? They don't throw out a lot of love down below 2K RPMs.[/QUOTE]

hey FROST , i have a m6 and i dont really know what you meen by lugging the motor. But here is the best way i can describe what the SS did after i put the slp maf on it. the main thing was, i could be at a 5-10 mile an hour roll and punch the gas and it would make this loud clicking noise (the harder i hit the gas the faster the clicking). it would only do it for a second or two though. then she would take off. Oh, and by bogging i meen it didnt want to go when i would punch it under 2k, it literally hesitated a bit then took off, kinda like an auto. thanks for the info FROST

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

hitting it with an M6 under 2K is lugging the motor; thats well out of your power band. Either way, that hesitation down low was almost certainly a lean event.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

[QUOTE=ggino85;1220987]hey calstud86 does your SS have traction control? also i have come to the conclusion that the people at slp dont know crap about what they're selling, everytime i call i get a different answer about the same question.

GGino.... yes, I do have traction control

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    he told you what???
    Doesn't surprise me in any way.

SLP customer service guys make it up as it goes...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

so if SLP is full of it... am I better doing the tune with my stock MSF?? Should I maybe port it out a bit?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Doesn't surprise me in any way.

SLP customer service guys make it up as it goes...
    +1 yeah they do!!!!!! SLP customer service

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

so if SLP is full of it... am I better doing the tune with my stock MSF?? Should I maybe port it out a bit?
    Yes.

Stock MAF is good for a lot of power.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks Mr. Luos!!

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

what yr was the maf for? couldve been the wrong model.... 98-99 and 00-02 had different mafs...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Loudz28 View Post
    what yr was the maf for? couldve been the wrong model.... 98-99 and 00-02 had different mafs...
    I double checked that too... I have the correct MAF.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

[QUOTE=Loudz28;1224018]what yr was the maf for? couldve been the wrong model.... 98-99 and 00-02 had different mafs...[/QUOTE

yeah i had wondered that at too, but both cars fall under the 00'-02' category. the SS was a 02' and the t/a is an 01.

Thread Information