Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

SLP lid...tried for a day and took it back off.

I bought my SLP lid and was PUMPED about my first mod. I bolted it on with the help of a friend (bitch to get on/off the stock setup).

Car was lounder, FELT faster.

I was happy...

...until I noticed the back of the filter wasnt contacting the back of the lid. I was then NOT happy. I went to home depot and put some foam tape insulator on the back of the lid. The almost 1/4 inch of stuff still didn't close the gap to my satisfaction.

I put a WIX filter on it with the HUGE gasket

No dice.

I bought a K&N and put the supplied gasket on the lid...

huge gap

I tried the WIX with the K&N sticky gasket still on the lid...

...better but still not a very good seal.

Today the SLP lid came off and an e-mail went out to the supplier I bought it from requesting a refund due to SLP's shitty workmanship.

My stock air-box got the K&N gasket and K&N filter and fits like a charm. No more sealing issues for me!

Oh...was that felt hp real or not? You tell me.
    http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/racing/rd990702.html

Kinda makes me wonder. I know some people see gains, most do. But hey, who knows.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

well yeah thats the whole deal, you wont see dyno hp, you will see track hp

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    well yeah thats the whole deal, you wont see dyno hp, you will see track hp
    Only with a sealed, TRUE, ram air setup. I would rather not have a huge leak downstream of my filter.

giving up 10hp (semi-theoretical) > unfiltered air entering my motor

This post is not about my question of the power gained, but rather the leak obtained.

Silver

yeah that point in particular i agree with you on... i wouldnt be happy with that which is why i didnt buy the lid on purpose... but did you apply it to a t/a or the car in your profile

I didnt notice a "feeling" of acceleration increase with my lid, FTRA, and holley powershot filter.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

yeah that point in particular i agree with you on... i wouldnt be happy with that which is why i didnt buy the lid on purpose... but did you apply it to a t/a or the car in your profile
    I have not edited my profile in forever, but this is my WS6 that which it was installed on:

I could hear a difference and I think I felt one. That is as far as I will go on my claimed increase in performance.

Silver

nice, im a sucker for the black t/a's ... btw i like the license plate

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

nice, im a sucker for the black t/a's ... btw i like the license plate
    Thanks, they just had it lying around and I asked if "I could have that one?" and they gave it to me. DMV is always polite to me. They let me choose from what is on-hand.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Thanks, they just had it lying around and I asked if "I could have that one?" and they gave it to me. DMV is always polite to me. They let me choose from what is on-hand.
    does it cost more to get a custom plate?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It sounds to me like possibly an installation issue. You really have to rough house the lid to get it to fit. Were the back tabs locked in? It can be a real bitch getting everything lined up sometimes but it will line up eventually. I used to fight mine everytime I had it off but at some point I just got the hang of it and now it's no big deal to get it on and off. I would say try it again and don't be afraid to cuss it a little. That usually helps me. Just be careful with the back of it where it mounts to the MAF. I've heard of people breaking the lids back there. good luck and keep us posted.

FWIW
    I read a lid shootout a couple years ago in a mag. Pretty good article and they did see decent gains with the SLP lid. SLP's lid actually came in 2nd to I *think* the MTI lid. It's been a long time since I read that and my memory sucks anymore but I think all lids came somewhere in the 9-10 HP range.

found the link a in a post a few threads below this one
    http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html
    Last edited by 0rion; 05-20-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

does it cost more to get a custom plate?
    Yes, I dont know how much though. Never had one.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    It sounds to me like possibly an installation issue. You really have to rough house the lid to get it to fit. Were the back tabs locked in? It can be a real bitch getting everything lined up sometimes but it will line up eventually. I used to fight mine everytime I had it off but at some point I just got the hang of it and now it's no big deal to get it on and off. I would say try it again and don't be afraid to cuss it a little. That usually helps me. Just be careful with the back of it where it mounts to the MAF. I've heard of people breaking the lids back there. good luck and keep us posted.

FWIW
    I read a lid shootout a couple years ago in a mag. Pretty good article and they did see decent gains with the SLP lid. SLP's lid actually came in 2nd to I *think* the MTI lid. It's been a long time since I read that and my memory sucks anymore but I think all lids came somewhere in the 9-10 HP range.

found the link a in a post a few threads below this one
    http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html

My lid was installed perfectly. The lid was all the way back on the MAF, ect. Perfect install. It is just a shitty design. The back tabs are at a 45* angle and only touch the slots in the radiator supports on the corners, this leads to it not being a very tight lock-up. (as opposed to the MUCH larger bearing surface of the stock tabs which stick straight out and contact the entire top of the notch. Also the stock tabs are stiff and not flexy)

The fit between the tabs and the 4 notches they go in was HORRIBLE. I thought of epoxying a nickle to the top of each tab so as to make them thick enough to fill the slot and push the warped back of the lid down on the gasket hard enough for it to make contact. I then designed that was about the most ghetto thing I had ever considered and discarded the half-baked idea.

The lid is shittily molded, with the back edge where the gasket SHOULD touch being so warped that you cant lay a ruler on it without it not touching in half a dozen places(as opposed to the straight, smooth edge of the back of the stock lid).

The corners at the front bend up

The lid was just a piece of cheap trash. My dad knows nothing of F-bodies other than they are GM and he has a good mechanical knowledge of cars in general (mainly ford cars, which he has built motors for, swapped drivelines in, ect. most of his life). When he saw the lid he was appauled. Said it looked like crap. I put my stocker back on and it seals perfectly. Looks like it actually BEHLONGS there. SLP can keep their 10hp. If GM can mould a good product, SLP should be able to as well. I am not pleased.
    Last edited by stanger88; 05-20-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Silver

Yes, I dont know how much though. Never had one.
    wait so that ones not custom?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

wait so that ones not custom?
    No, it is standard issue as I previously stated.

Silver

No, it is standard issue as I previously stated.
    o sorry, i didnt get that from when you said you picked it out, misunderstanding

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

o sorry, i didnt get that from when you said you picked it out, misunderstanding
    its all good.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

do you have the slp smooth bellows on it or any other non stock bellows? cause most of the posts i've read with people having lid fitment issues were due to the aftermarket bellows. my slp lid went on fine and doesnt overlap or rub at all (but i have the stock accordian bellows). you might wanna try and fiddle with it a bit more before you send it back. make sure everything is pushed as far over the maf and tb as it possibly can be and that the lid is installed all the way back in the 4 casting tabs. with these things every milimeter makes a difference as far as final fitment.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    I bought my SLP lid and was PUMPED about my first mod. I bolted it on with the help of a friend (bitch to get on/off the stock setup).

Car was lounder, FELT faster.

I was happy...

...until I noticed the back of the filter wasnt contacting the back of the lid. I was then NOT happy. I went to home depot and put some foam tape insulator on the back of the lid. The almost 1/4 inch of stuff still didn't close the gap to my satisfaction.

I put a WIX filter on it with the HUGE gasket

No dice.

I bought a K&N and put the supplied gasket on the lid...

huge gap

I tried the WIX with the K&N sticky gasket still on the lid...

...better but still not a very good seal.

Today the SLP lid came off and an e-mail went out to the supplier I bought it from requesting a refund due to SLP's shitty workmanship.

My stock air-box got the K&N gasket and K&N filter and fits like a charm. No more sealing issues for me!

Oh...was that felt hp real or not? You tell me.
    http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/racing/rd990702.html

Kinda makes me wonder. I know some people see gains, most do. But hey, who knows.
    sooo ever thought that maybe the thousands and thousands of ls1 owners with the slp lid that never had problems could have been a sign that your doin something wrong??

White
    2000 SS Camaro

Where did you order your SLP lid from? I ordered mine from SLP.com. I fit my SLP lid on with no problems. Good luck with the lid.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

maybe you did get a defect, if so send it back and get a new one. But before that, try removing the bellows completely and see if you can get it to fit (Do not crank engine as this is only a fit test for the lid). If so then you are doing something wrong, or not using enough strength. It is a bit of a biatch to get on, but you will know it when it is on good. Mine is a perfect fit with the smooth bellows. Just takes a bit of strength and making sure all 4 tabs go in. But as mentioned above, A LOT of ppl run the SLP lid and have no issues other than the common issue of it being a tight fit. It is also helpful when installing the lid to loosen all clamps ( the ones holding everything from the lid to the throttle body) then once installed be sure to tighten all clamps. That is by far the easiest way I have noticed to do it.

Thread Information