Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

SLP lid fits like crap. Questions ....

Well I just finished up a lid install with SLP bellow. Was fairly simple except 1 thing. The resonance chambered piece of plastic on the stock airbox fits to the stick lid on one end and on the other it has NO rubber slip on tubing and fits directly on the maf. Right now I gave the SLP lid slid directly on the maf is this correct? I don't know what year lid it's off .. I'll check when I'm not typing on my iPhone while I drive lol. My z is an 01.

Other than that I can't see how the intake van flex with engine movement but soon I'll have poly mounts with the lt install so that shud help.

Any thoughts ?

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Lol guy. That resonance chamber doesn't go back on. If you have a smooth bellow or the accordian (stock) bellow it hooks up like so: lid, bellow, maf. It should be a perfect fit, after that hopefully it clears your hood

That's backwards, if you are starting at the lid,,,the MAF will slide into the lid,,,,THEN the bellow goes on, which attaches to the throttle body.

I have the same setup. It went together fine for me, but I've heard others had problems. It's been mentioned that a heat gun was necessary in some instances,,,,I guess to heat the lid to install the MAF in there.

On your other concern, I have stock motor mounts and have never had an issues with engine flex affecting the lid. But I know what you mean, since it all fits snug it would seem that engine movement could crack the lid. Mines been on there for 3 years or so now without a problem.

I do however remove the assembly before pulling the transmission, or removing the cross member for any reason and letting the back of the engine droop.

SOM
    2002 SS

Firebird got it right that's exactly how it's on right now. Lid, maf, bellow to tb. My original concern was the lid to maf. I found it surprising that a hard plastic lid had to pretty much be press fit onto an aluminum maf. The fit was extremely tight.

On the bright side since I put it on at my parents house I had tons of stuff in the garage to try and test fit into the air hose on the lid. Eventually I got this wired looking piece of plastic to fit in there so clean it looks oem. I figured since I'm deleting the egr and air with the lt install I may as well try to figure out how to plug it now. I'll get a pic of the piece I'm sure it can help someone who wants yo do it . Also the lid was in gr8 shape too so it looks good.

Anyone think they noticed a difference with a lid ?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I used a hairdryer on the lid to make the fitment on the maf easier

And when I did my lid when I was stock I heard a difference (whoosh) I thought it was the coolest thing

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Firebird got it right that's exactly how it's on right now. Lid, maf, bellow to tb. My original concern was the lid to maf. I found it surprising that a hard plastic lid had to pretty much be press fit onto an aluminum maf. The fit was extremely tight.

Anyone think they noticed a difference with a lid ?

Ya I wasn't that keen on the tight fit and how it was designed to fit together, but it works.

As far as a difference, I noticed it was noisier.

SOM
    2002 SS

I didnt really try to notice too hard Ihad a car full of stuff and the temps did drop big time from when I had last driven it. I'll give her a good thrashing soon enough to see if I can notice any difference in sound or performance.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I used a hairdryer on the lid to make the fitment on the maf easier

And when I did my lid when I was stock I heard a difference (whoosh) I thought it was the coolest thing
    The whoosing sound is why they put the helmholtz resonator in there. I guess some folks like a noiseless sports car.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    The whoosing sound is why they put the helmholtz resonator in there. I guess some folks like a noiseless car.
    I think you will agree with me that they should just go buy a hybrid, "I want more horsepower but I don't want that lopey cam sound".

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's backwards, if you are starting at the lid,,,the MAF will slide into the lid,,,,THEN the bellow goes on, which attaches to the throttle body.

I have the same setup. It went together fine for me, but I've heard others had problems. It's been mentioned that a heat gun was necessary in some instances,,,,I guess to heat the lid to install the MAF in there.

On your other concern, I have stock motor mounts and have never had an issues with engine flex affecting the lid. But I know what you mean, since it all fits snug it would seem that engine movement could crack the lid. Mines been on there for 3 years or so now without a problem.

I do however remove the assembly before pulling the transmission, or removing the cross member for any reason and letting the back of the engine droop.
    Yes he did. My bad I havent looked at mine since I did it so I forget the little stuff. Hopefully it all worked out and you like it. Sorry for the bad info

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

It's been documented that lid fitment issues can usually be traced to people using the smooth bellow. In most cases the smooth bellow needs to be trimmed for the lid to properly seat on the airbox.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    It's been documented that lid fitment issues can usually be traced to people using the smooth bellow. In most cases the smooth bellow needs to be trimmed for the lid to properly seat on the airbox.
    Another EXCELLENT point. When I first tried o get the maf on it wasn't on far enough. When i test fit the setup it was too far forward even with the bellow all the way on the throttle body and i couldnt get the airbox to fit on properly.

I had a rubber hammer and tried to smack the maf onto the lid as far as it would go (I'm an idiot here cuz when i first test fit the maf i pushed it on and could have helped it slip on easier with some lube etc and i couldn't even get the thing off again - hence the mallet)
    When I did get the lid on as far as it would go on the maf only then did the airbox lid look like it fit snug and the clips worked like stock. I may end up trimming the bellow a few mm.

I'm one of the few cases I guess that didn't have to trim a thing. It all went together smoothly for me.

Another EXCELLENT point. When I first tried o get the maf on it wasn't on far enough. When i test fit the setup it was too far forward even with the bellow all the way on the throttle body and i couldnt get the airbox to fit on properly.

I had a rubber hammer and tried to smack the maf onto the lid as far as it would go (I'm an idiot here cuz when i first test fit the maf i pushed it on and could have helped it slip on easier with some lube etc and i couldn't even get the thing off again - hence the mallet)
    When I did get the lid on as far as it would go on the maf only then did the airbox lid look like it fit snug and the clips worked like stock. I may end up trimming the bellow a few mm.
    When I read "smacking the maf with a rubber hammer",,, I cringed, Haha.

SOM
    2002 SS

Yeah I didn't like the idea of it too but I couldnt get the dam thing back out without putting wierd stress on the lid so i decided to just leave it in and bang it the rest of the way. More than likely The extra little corrosion on the aluminum ends on the maf didnt help and was probably why the fit was so dam tight.

took a quick pic with the iphone when i finished. Doesn't look bad. I sort of wished I waited till I got home to do it in my garage but I got impatient while i was at my parents. What if someone pulls up next to me on the way home is all I could think of lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

After dealing with this issue on a couple friends cars I vowed never to waste the cash for a smooth bellow as the HP gain and appearence do not warrant the cost or hassle of assembly. I consider it the same as an aftermarket MAF, Not worth it unless your looking for that last 2-3 HP. JMO

Yeah I didn't like the idea of it too but I couldnt get the dam thing back out without putting wierd stress on the lid so i decided to just leave it in and bang it the rest of the way. More than likely The extra little corrosion on the aluminum ends on the maf didnt help and was probably why the fit was so dam tight.

took a quick pic with the iphone when i finished. Doesn't look bad. I sort of wished I waited till I got home to do it in my garage but I got impatient while i was at my parents. What if someone pulls up next to me on the way home is all I could think of lol.
    Click for full size
    Turned out good. What did you use to plug the hole for the A.I.R. on the side?

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Turned out good. What did you use to plug the hole for the A.I.R. on the side?
    A piece of plastic I have no clue what it was but I had my dads tool box full of thousands of random odds and ends to go through. I'll get a pic of it.. it fit real snug in the grommet. So much so I had to add a touch of grease to get it in. Looks pretty good imo.

SOM
    2002 SS

After dealing with this issue on a couple friends cars I vowed never to waste the cash for a smooth bellow as the HP gain and appearence do not warrant the cost or hassle of assembly. I consider it the same as an aftermarket MAF, Not worth it unless your looking for that last 2-3 HP. JMO
    Yeah I'm probably going to install the stock assembly back on soon. The bellow is a 0 gain. The Lid I'm still skeptical of a 1 hp gain tbh. I wish i could dyno it for results there is one close to me but I'm not dropping that kind of coin just for lid results.

Anyone want to chip in for a back to back Dyno comparison?? I can make a vid and take tons of excellent pics lol ! I should setup a paypal fund for dyno results

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Yeah I'm probably going to install the stock assembly back on soon. The bellow is a 0 gain. The Lid I'm still skeptical of a 1 hp gain tbh. I wish i could dyno it for results there is one close to me but I'm not dropping that kind of coin just for lid results.

Anyone want to chip in for a back to back Dyno comparison?? I can make a vid and take tons of excellent pics lol ! I should setup a paypal fund for dyno results
    All aftermarket lids provide a gain I have personally seen a few cars drop 2 tenths and gain 2mph at the track. On my own car which I drove for 6 years without a lid I noticed a great SOTP feel and better throttle response.
    The car would fight for traction on brisk acceleration as the revs past 3K rpm, which is something it never did before.
    Bottom line anything the reduces turbulence and increases air velocity before the MAF is going to provide a performance gain.

Thread Information