Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Should i get aftermarket header gaskets & extensions?

I might get some pacesetter lt's and ory soon. should i use the gaskets that come with it or should i get better ones. Cuz i heard they aren't very good quality. Some kits also come with o2 extension kits, should i use those or spend $50 on aftermarket o2 extensions?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Definately get new gaskets. OE metal ones work fine. But the paper ones that come with the headers are junk.

As far as extensions, you can go the aftermarket route. Some don't recommend splicing the O2 wires, but I did that on mine and haven't had a problem. But pre-made extensions are cheap insurance.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I used the old gaskets. They are a MLS gasket and seal just fine. As for the kit, o2 sims would be your best bet. You still might get codes without the cats being there, or simply get the codes tuned out then you dont need either.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    I used the old gaskets. They are a MLS gasket and seal just fine. As for the kit, o2 sims would be your best bet. You still might get codes without the cats being there, or simply get the codes tuned out then you dont need either.
    I was talking about o2 extensions but on that note, do you think i will throw codes with no cats and o2 sims? i really can't afford tuning...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

No, that's why most people go with the O2 sims, to trick the computer into thinking you're running cats. You shouldn't throw codes with O2 sims.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Extensions are to reach the back sensors,right?So if one were to use sims,there is no need,correct?Just checking because I may get lt's next.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Extensions are to reach the back sensors,right?So if one were to use sims,there is no need,correct?Just checking because I may get lt's next.
    No that is not true. When you get an aftermarket y pipe (off road or not) there will be no o2 bungs on it. The o2 extensions are so the front o2 sensors can reach the bungs that are now farther away due to the "long tube" headers.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^ that is correct

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Definately get new gaskets. OE metal ones work fine. But the paper ones that come with the headers are junk.

As far as extensions, you can go the aftermarket route. Some don't recommend splicing the O2 wires, but I did that on mine and haven't had a problem. But pre-made extensions are cheap insurance.
    So you recommend OE gaskets? I saw some GM header gaskets for LS1's on some website for $11.50 i think. good deal? or do you think there are better ones? Also, i've seen those "stage 8 locking header bolts" for $37. does anyone think those are any good?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just used OEM gaskets. After pulling my old ones I could've very easily just reused those but I'd already bought the replacements. Cheap from the dealer here in town.
    I would strongly recommend doing either aftermarket extensions instead of splicing wires. There's just to much that can go wrong when you start cutting O2 wires.
    Run sims and you shouldn't have any codes, at least not for the rear O2's
    I bought stage 8 bolts but didn't use the locks. To big of a pain in the ass to get the locks on. Save your money and just use OEM bolts and retorque after a heat cycle or two.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I just used OEM gaskets. After pulling my old ones I could've very easily just reused those but I'd already bought the replacements. Cheap from the dealer here in town.
    I would strongly recommend doing either aftermarket extensions instead of splicing wires. There's just to much that can go wrong when you start cutting O2 wires.
    Run sims and you shouldn't have any codes, at least not for the rear O2's
    I bought stage 8 bolts but didn't use the locks. To big of a pain in the ass to get the locks on. Save your money and just use OEM bolts and retorque after a heat cycle or two.
    Alright. Thanks for the advice man.

Thread Information