Black
    2000 WS6

Question Serious hp loss. Run'n extremely lean., Need some expert advise

Engine sounding normal like always. I had taken the 2000 WS6 to CC about 3 wks ago. I felt I should have went faster than 12.6 in the 1/4 with the new nitto 555r's. After 3 tries, I went home after my best time was a 12.75. The car hooked up like a mofo. Unlike the kuhmos I had. The kuhmos, I had to baby the throttle to get the 12.6. If I didn't, I would spin through 2nd into 3rd. Now with the Nittos, I just stomped on the gas and they hooked w/o spinning. I got a 12.75....WTF??? So, I haven't really done anything except change out the plug wires. Still no change and having really big loss in hp. So, today, I took the WS6 to SRracing to see what is going on with the dyno. I loss approximately 70hp. The car isn't missing. The A/F was running around 16 to 17. Way to lean. After discussing this for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, we decide to play with the fuel enrichment tables. I gained most of my hp back within 12 hp and running around 13.8 A/F ratio. I thought we was onto something until the last 2 pulls. The car went back to running lean and 70 hp loss. It didn't really matter what we did, it did almost the same as it did on the first pull. The only difference was the car had a slight bit better A/F ratio. I just don't think it could be mechanically related. If it were, I don't think we would have been able to tune it out and go havic like it did. It seems as it maybe something electrical. I called a friend of mine, and he felt that it could be the fuel beginning to start vaporizing because of the fuel lines not having the heat shield tape on the fuel lines like it came from the factory. But not for sure. So, my question would be, does anyone here have any suggestions or ideals what I may need to look at to resolve my problem/s?

Thanks,
    Doug
    Last edited by nitenshinarmor; 08-23-2005 at 06:34 PM. Reason: not rich....but extremely lean...my bad

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You check your IAT/MAF...clean them good...check for air leaks in any CAI or stock airbox? Did your tuner see timing advance?
    I'm assuming you checked your fuel pressure already.....clogged fuel filter?

Black
    2000 WS6

I reckon the only way you know if your MAF is bad is for your computer to throw a code. I don't have any codes thrown. However, my IAT always read higher than the actual air temperature. I have an aftermarket lid on and had to drill a hole to allow for the IAT. I found out it does matter which way the sensor faces and it faces the air as it comes into the box. The MAF and IAT are both clean. As for air leaks, we didn't find any. The timing was advancing as you move towards WOT and the Fuel pressure was at 60 psi. Fuel filter????? I did not check it. The car only has 35,000 miles on it. Maybe I should. But that wouldn't explain why I all the sudden loss 70 hp while at the dyno shop, would it?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Gawd Dayum server is busy just ate my long winded response
    Short and sweet....I had a car do this very thing...clogged catalytic convertor....check it out...or your oxygen sensors are fucked up....and that is what is doing this....I bet you have a cat or oxygen sensor issue here....
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-23-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6

Sarge, I wish you was right. However, the cats are no longer home and the rear O2 sensors have been deleted in the program along with the EGR and Air crap. I am running Corsa cat back along with Jet Hot headers w/ no EGR or air.

Black
    2000 WS6

I got a feeling the IAT reading extremely high and the possibility of the fuel lines at a vapor state maybe why the car is running extremely lean. However, I need more input from everyone.

Black
    2000 WS6

Just got done spraying water all around the intake and intake components. Found nothing with the intake system. However, I did find the intake bolts less than hand tight. Don't think this is a problem but could lead to a problem. However, I took an air hose and listen through it and found everyone on the egr block off plates leaking. Probally, the problem. I believe this allowed a ton of air getting into the exhaust system and leading the O2's on the car and the sniffer at SRracing to believe the car to be running lean. However, while the car ran in the garage, the smell of gas and my eyes watering like a s.o.b.....the car is indeed running extremely rich. I ordered block off plates and gaskets to go with them. Will put these on and run the car again to see if my eyes start to water. Also, will torque the intake tomorrow to spec of 86 inch pounds....and we'll see if this fixes the problem. If anyone has anymore suggestions, please, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Doug

Thread Information