Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Chevy Camaro SS

Replacement Power Steering Pump

I am planning on replacing my P/S Pump in the next 2 weeks and was wanting some help. Is there step by step info on how to pull the new pump off and replace it, and also does anyone recommend a aftermarket pump versus a stock replacement? I did a search and didn't really come up with any info on the site.

Any help is appreciated, I REALLY need to get this done so I can get the SS on the road for the season

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Funny, I just replaced my power steering pump on my SS a couple days ago (by a mechanic, not myself). Honestly, for what it costs, you might as well have a mechanic you trust do it for you. For me, they charged me $140 for the part and $100 for labor. Not too bad really, you're going to pay for the part anyways, and the $100 in labor is probably worth the headache and time of trying to do it yourself.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    Funny, I just replaced my power steering pump on my SS a couple days ago (by a mechanic, not myself). Honestly, for what it costs, you might as well have a mechanic you trust do it for you. For me, they charged me $140 for the part and $100 for labor. Not too bad really, you're going to pay for the part anyways, and the $100 in labor is probably worth the headache and time of trying to do it yourself.
    140 for a pump...got mine @ auto zone where i work and it was 69 i believe or somewhere around that before my discount.

And it was pretty easy to change...i did spill alot of fuild on the alternator thats right under it so ill problably change that soon , the hardest part was getting the old pulley off, i borrowed the puller from auto zone too. so i would suggest doing it yourself and save a few bucks just my .02

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Real easy job. Do it yourself!

Borrow the puller from autozone.

1. Disconnect Ground (Hey its always number 1)
    2. Remove Belt
    3. Drain pump. I unscrewed a line from the rack.
    4. Remove pulley with puller
    5. Disconnect lines from pump and remove pump.

6. Your new pump will come without resivor. The resivor is held on with two clips. Use a small flathead to wedge in ad prey the little tang out. Then while its stuck in there use another with a rubber mallet to slide the clip off. A vise would be handy but I did mine in the driveway.

7. Slide the resivor on the new pump (Don't forget to replace the o-ring with the new on the new pump came with)
    8. Put it back together.
    9. Start it with the cap off after filling it up. Preferrably jack it up a little so the wheels are not touching and cycle the steering from left to right a few times make sure you cannot see any bubbles in the fluid. When they are all gone you can put the lid on and should be done. Also check for leaks..

Doing your first time might take an hour or so but it can be done in 20-30 with the tools ready.

Hope this helps.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

I went with a Turn One brand new pump. www.turnone.com i believe there is a gmhighperformancetech.com article about the pump. It was a real easy swap. and in future it will be easier. I ended up taking a giant pair of channel locks and breaking the plastic factory pulley off.
    then taking out the bolts.

Pick up a cheap turkey baster and suck all of the fluid out of the old resivour large coffee cup beside the hole and just dump it over in saved a lot of mess.

Black
    1998 Chevy Camaro SS

Thanks for all the info, I decided to do it myself and it was actually pretty easy...took me like 1hr and I saved a bunch of cash.

I borrowed the puller from autozone where i bought a new pump for $65. The only thing I would add for someone doing it theirselfs is to take a air compressor and blow out the old fluid through the hoses before you hook up the hose connections and add new fluid. Its real easy i just pointed the outlet hose on the ground and blew some air through the inlet tubing.

Damn I need to do mine ! I remeber NAP quoted me 200 + for a new pump ?

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

the autozone/advance auto parts and probably the GM ones are all rebuilds.

Great tip on blowing the old fluid out wish i had thought of that!

Black
    1998 Chevy Camaro SS

Yeah you are right it was a rebuilt one but I didn't really care it had a lifetime limited warranty, I'd rather spend the $$$ on some other mods. I called around for new ones and it would have cost around $200 - $300 for a new one. The dealer wanted $300 and like $200 to install ....WTF!!

Oh, the turkey baster was a good idea cause the alternator is directly below the pump and if you have a bunch of fluid left in the tank it's all gonna drop right on it. I sucked as much as i could out and then covered the alternator with a bunch if rags.

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog5454ss View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I decided to do it myself and it was actually pretty easy...took me like 1hr and I saved a bunch of cash.

I borrowed the puller from autozone where i bought a new pump for $65. The only thing I would add for someone doing it theirselfs is to take a air compressor and blow out the old fluid through the hoses before you hook up the hose connections and add new fluid. Its real easy i just pointed the outlet hose on the ground and blew some air through the inlet tubing.
    Did you have to drain the coolant when you did it?

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Yes? No? Maybe?

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

There is no need to drain your anitfreeze/coolant to change the power steering pump. Even if you have a power steering cooler.

Black
    1998 Chevy Camaro SS

I don't have a power steering cooler on mine so the coolant wasn't an issue for me.

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Thanks, and so nothing got in the way of the pulley puller? It looks like a tight fit.

Black
    1998 Chevy Camaro SS

not really, I had to take the radiator hose off the plastic bracket in front of the pump, that allowed me to push the hose out of the way enough to get the puller on..... wasnt a big deal.

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

For the turn 1 pump on GM

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_10.html

It looks like its for the lt1 3rd gen.
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

holy thread revival batman!

I ended up getting a Turn One with their pulley, it's installed and working well.... just bombing around the steering feel is a little heavy but not too bad. the arm was tired after the first day or two. .but all is good.

That article is actually what turned me onto turn one to begin with. Getting their pulley is a no brainer. now you don't have to break things while TRYING to remove them

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

The pumps that GM uses these days are actually desired by road racers. I forget what the type or name of the pump is but they are sought out by lots of people.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    The pumps that GM uses these days are actually desired by road racers. I forget what the type or name of the pump is but they are sought out by lots of people.
    www.turnone.com same pump. just reworked a little bit. to my knowlege that's the biggest and best on the market.

Thread Information