pewter
    2001 Z28

re-use harmonic balancer bolt?

Has anyone ever re-used the harmonic balancer bolt with some loc-tite? Any issues? Thanks,

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

??

Mine came with a new bolt. I would have used the old one with lock tight. Pretty heavy duty bolt with lots of torque IMO.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Dont!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Spend the $5, go to a stealership and buy a new one. The factory bolt is a torque to yield and once its been removed its done, same way with the factory head bolts.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You stand the chance at jacking up the crank by using the old bolt.

As mentioned...they are torque to yield. They 'stretch' when torqued down.
    Is not use-able after that.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

as stated, you are supposed to use a new one every time. i have reused mine before.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

take the gamble if you want but $5 is worth it... or pick up an ARP for $30-ish and reuse as many time as you like

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post
    take the gamble if you want but $5 is worth it... or pick up an ARP for $30-ish and reuse as many time as you like
    I have the ARP Crank Bolt and they are an a nice stout piece! I did have to Buy a 12 point wide walled (heavy duty) socket just to put this in. You can't use a regular socket as you will probably break it. Don't ask me how I know this.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    I have the ARP Crank Bolt and they are an a nice stout piece! I did have to Buy a 12 point wide walled (heavy duty) socket just to put this in. You can't use a regular socket as you will probably break it. Don't ask me how I know this.
    hey, how do you know this?

dang it, you said not to.

flat black
    on the subject of the crank bolt...why did GM make a torque to yeild bolt but then if you look at the service manual it says to tighten to 240 ft lb loosen it then retorque to i think 37 ft lbs + some degrees what was the point of this...once its torqued its already stretched...dont quote me on the numbers i dont have my manual in front of me...i can get the exact numbers if someone really wants them... also does someone know of an easier way to put a crank pulley on these cars...by the sound of GM's torquing method they are not using a balancer installer...but ive got the driveshaft and rearend out of the car...and even in 6th which has the most gear reduction it does not have enough clamping force to hold to crank that bolt to 240 ft lbs plus i cant pull the crank pulley up all the way...hell id use a compressor and the old bolt just to pull it up on there but i have no power in the storage unit to power my compressor...is the best way just going to be to borrow or by a balancer installer....
    BTW i dont mean to jack someones thread. i figured this might all be pertenent (sp?) info

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I used one of these when I installed my balancer. It worked great. I had to put a lot of muscle to press my underdrive pulley all the way in. Enough to taper the thick washer that is welded to the outer nut piece.
    Last edited by Killer_bluebird; 02-15-2007 at 09:26 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
    on the subject of the crank bolt...why did GM make a torque to yeild bolt but then if you look at the service manual it says to tighten to 240 ft lb loosen it then retorque to i think 37 ft lbs + some degrees what was the point of this...once its torqued its already stretched...dont quote me on the numbers i dont have my manual in front of me...i can get the exact numbers if someone really wants them... also does someone know of an easier way to put a crank pulley on these cars...by the sound of GM's torquing method they are not using a balancer installer...but ive got the driveshaft and rearend out of the car...and even in 6th which has the most gear reduction it does not have enough clamping force to hold to crank that bolt to 240 ft lbs plus i cant pull the crank pulley up all the way...hell id use a compressor and the old bolt just to pull it up on there but i have no power in the storage unit to power my compressor...is the best way just going to be to borrow or by a balancer installer....
    BTW i dont mean to jack someones thread. i figured this might all be pertenent (sp?) info
    Use old the old bolt to tighten/force the pulley to 240 ft/lbs.

Then thread in your new bolt and tighten to 37 or whatever it is.

I was able to move my car forward in 4th gear getting the pulley torqued down. Was a little interesting.
    Can you get to the flywheel??? You can get a locking tool on it to hold the crank in place.

flat black
    no, i cant...still have the trans on...i may just wait till i put the rear end and driveshaft in...the way i took it off was stikc it in 6th and pull the ebrake...that kept it all from moving i didnt know if that would be too much stress on the drivetrain but i was taking it all back apart and reaplacing ujoints and such anyways so i didnt care at the time i just dont want to brake anything putting it all back together ya know what i mean...hate to spend all the money weve put in the car and break something stupid

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You could always pull the starter and lock it in there.

Thread Information