Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Exhaust

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Quiet Exhaust

I currently have a LM1 exhaust on my 2000 Z/28. I plan on doing some work to her this summer, adn have decided I want to go the "sleeper" route. I will be doing a H/C swap, LT's, and hopefully a TD system. But I want the exhaust to be quiet. I want a nice rumble, but still want to be able to stay below the radar at idle and low RPM.

I was looking into the TSP Rumbler TD system and it comes with three mufflers. They come with choice of: Sweet Thunder, Moroso Spiral Flows, and Dynomax Bullets. Which is the quietest? and how quiet is "quiet."

Or could you recomend a quiet muffler? I've tried the search, and it seems like I'm going against most other people when it comes to the exhaust.

Thanks,
    Chris

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

None of those are going to be quiet at all.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I really haven't heard a true dual car thats quiet yet. The muffler choices are limited due to the clearance constraints in the rear.
    TSP Torquer V2 cam, ported heads,fast 90/90 combo, LT's, 3400 stall, magnaflow CB, most other bolt ons, full suspension, t-top and HID conversion

422 RWHP, 384TQ

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    I really haven't heard a true dual car thats quiet yet. The muffler choices are limited due to the clearance constraints in the rear.
    Exactly there is no place under a 4th gen F-Body to really put a quiet exhaust. You are limited pretty much to two small mufflers. On cars with more room you can run larger mufflers and even add a couple of resonators as well which will quiet it down without robbing a big amount of power. On these cars fast pretty much equals loud. I have yet to see a fast 4th gen F-Body that didn't sound like it was fast. Hard to make a sleeper with these cars unless you stay with stock manifolds, get a Cheatr cam, and an SLP dual dual or OTL, also an M6 doesn't help. In an auto you can do those things plus a stall and have a fast ass car. Nothing will help an M6 car as much as a stall helps an A4 other than a hundred shot. 4:10's help but make the rear even weaker plus they tend to make the car sound less sleeperish if you will.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i use the bassani tru-duals on both of my cars. it utilizes the factory muffler location. both pipes go over the passenger side axle and into one muffler. it's a dual in/out design. almost stock like sound inside the car. notice able outside the car when you get on it.

pics of the system on my webpages
    http://www.stealthram.com/1999pontiacformula.html
    http://www.stealthram.com/2000pontiacformula.html
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i use the bassani tru-duals on both of my cars. it utilizes the factory muffler location. both pipes go over the passenger side axle and into one muffler. it's a dual in/out design. almost stock like sound inside the car. notice able outside the car when you get on it.

pics of the system on my webpages
    http://www.stealthram.com/1999pontiacformula.html
    http://www.stealthram.com/2000pontiacformula.html
    I didn't think of the Bassani setup I would think it would probably be the most quiet option. Mrr I know the white Formy is your wife's but that pink makes we wanny cry.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

OMG, the freakin pipe coming out to the passenger side rear makes some real ridiculous bends on the Bassani.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I didn't think of the Bassani setup I would think it would probably be the most quiet option. Mrr I know the white Formy is your wife's but that pink makes we wanny cry.
    well then cry away. it's her car.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    OMG, the freakin pipe coming out to the passenger side rear makes some real ridiculous bends on the Bassani.
    yep it sure does. and made more power than a borla 3" adjustable catback with half the interior noise. and it clears all stock suspension pieces.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quite is my car... Longtube Pacesetters, Off Road Y pipe, No Cats, stock Z28 exhaust. Very quite...

Oh yea, 2 DMH Low profile cutouts on the Ypipe... it gets LOUD

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks for the info. I don't mind loud when I'm on it, but I want something that's not going to make my ears bleed at every point (that's what the Chevelle is for). I will definately look into the Bassani exhaust system.

But let me bounce another idea off you guys. Now, I've never really been under my car to look at the exhaust, so bear with me. What would happen if I took my LoudMouth1 exhaust, and welded in some of the bullet style mufflers in line with the pipes? Is that even feasable? and if so, how would it sound? Or should I just stick with a completely different exhausT?

Chris

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by redss454 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don't mind loud when I'm on it, but I want something that's not going to make my ears bleed at every point (that's what the Chevelle is for). I will definately look into the Bassani exhaust system.

But let me bounce another idea off you guys. Now, I've never really been under my car to look at the exhaust, so bear with me. What would happen if I took my LoudMouth1 exhaust, and welded in some of the bullet style mufflers in line with the pipes? Is that even feasable? and if so, how would it sound? Or should I just stick with a completely different exhausT?

Chris
    It is still pretty damn loud.

black
    2000 camaro z28

if your going true duals...i have yet to hear a quiet one.. however, i have a quiet exhaust, its a borla (BOR-140028)... thats the quiet borla.. most guys that talk on here about borla have either (BOR-14780) or (BOR-14813)..those are the loud ones... mine is quiet inside and out and has a very nice sound at WOT.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

who wants quiet? honestly?
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    me. i like to hear my radio when i'm driving.

who wants deafening interior drone that drive's you nuts after about 30 minutes? honestly?

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    whats the difference?... hp is hp.... my borla prob puts out just as much as any other cat back... and i have lt's and an ory now so its not so quiet anymore...and to be honest i get compliments alot on how it sounds... if i wanted loud i coulda spent 300$ instead i bought top quality and top performance and spent 800$...i guess its preference

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow.
    Tame until you get on it.

I have duals with magnaflow mufflers. I can hear my stereo just fine. But you know when I step on it.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 00maroz28 View Post
    whats the difference?... hp is hp.... my borla prob puts out just as much as any other cat back... and i have lt's and an ory now so its not so quiet anymore...and to be honest i get compliments alot on how it sounds... if i wanted loud i coulda spent 300$ instead i bought top quality and top performance and spent 800$...i guess its preference
    you are correct. sound is subjective. i got compliments back when i had the borla on the wife's car as well. except from the wife and me after awhile. on a trip from florida to georgia, it just got irritating to hear the drone of the exhaust resonating inside the car.

as far as the borla putting out as much as any other catback, almost. just shy of 17 rwhp. i swapped out the borla for the bassani tru-duals, on the wife's car. wife's car has bassani headers, y-pipe, and no cats. this was on stock tuning as well. more power and less interior noise. here's the results:

black
    2000 camaro z28

i figured the true dual exhaust set-ups would put out more..i was mainly saying the 1 into 2 set-ups....

and what borla did she have? because mine is the quiet one, even with the lts and ory when im crusing its not annoying and at idle is very quiet... but wot is a different story!!

Black
    1998 Formula

Hooker Aerochamber is pretty quiet at idle and at low rpms and roars when you step on it, but its not for true duals.

Thread Information