2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quick headers question

I'm going to buy my headers from TS&P, and I saw two that I was interested in.

First one was the 1 3/4 pacesetter coated headers with TS&P y pipe combo for $480.

The second was 1 7/8 TS&P stainless headers for $500, then I would buy the TS&P y pipe. Problem is, right now on their site, I think they took off the 1 7/8 TS&P headers.

Anyways, I am thinking that I would see a little more power out of the 1 7/8 headers in the long run as opposed to the 1 3/4. Also, the stainless steel makes them rust proof which is a big plus.

If it were you, which would you go with? And has anyone on here used the TS&P 1 7/8 stainless headers and can verify that they are not junk?

Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stainless is a great way to go. 1-7/8" better accomodates H/C/I upgrades in the future. If these are not in your plans, the 1-3/4" will work just fine.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

since when do TSP LT's come stainless!?!!? So messed up if they are.
    I'd go TSP LT's atleast custom Y, just stay away from that TSP ORY. ASK ME WHY lol

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    since when do TSP LT's come stainless!?!!? So messed up if they are.
    I'd go TSP LT's atleast custom Y, just stay away from that TSP ORY. ASK ME WHY lol
    I believe that they redesigned their y-pipes and they have better merge collectors now. If you are saying the newer designed ones are terrible, maybe elaborate?

Thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't think TSP has stainless steel LT's. If they did, they wouldn't only be $500.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't think TSP has stainless steel LT's. If they did, they wouldn't only be $500.
    Agreed, but as far as a new design I'd hope so. I bought mine maybe about a year ago so I don't know how new of a design they can have, the merge wasn't the problem as much as the fitment. The driver side hung way low at stock height, I tried putting the y together before I threw it on the headers, didn't work so well. Then I tried piece by piece and that was the only way I felt it would go.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    I believe that they redesigned their y-pipes and they have better merge collectors now. If you are saying the newer designed ones are terrible, maybe elaborate?

Thanks
    I bought and installed my TSP headers and ORY less than 2 months ago (so unless they changed really recently), the ORY is a waste of $, save the money and get a decent exhaust shop to weld you up a Y.
    My reasoning: 1: fit and finish of the Y is not good at all, I had some pieces that had to be hammered together and others that dropped in so loose that no matter how hard you would clamp them together they would still fall apart. 2: ground clearance is just bad, the most difficult parts of the F-body y-pipe are clearance under the drivers seat cross brace and the junction point of the Y where it goes over the tunnel cross brace. The TSP Y is bent in such a way that it clears the drivers side brace but then continues to angle down another 1-1.5" lower than it needs to after (creating a really low point on the car). The Y junction lines up under the drive shaft, not next to it, and won't ever fit above a cross brace of any kind no matter how you adjust it. I ended up paying as much for the exhaust shop to fix this mess as it should cost to have it done from scratch in the first place. Mine is now a custom made drivers side and cut up and welded passanger side TSP pieces.

Low spot created under drivers side:

Y connection under driveshaft:

And just FYI, i'm not trying to bash TSP, i like the headers, I just think the ORY is a POS

if anyone would like additional pictures just let me know I have them, just didn't want to bog this down with pictures. or if you want clarification about pictures or what I'm talking about just ask.

Also the TSP headers are ceramic coated not SS, the headers are quality made headers and I don't regret buying the headers themselves, I also got their plug in O2 extenders and they were also good quality pieces. Personally I'd only go SS if your in an area where you car would see a lot of salt/corrosion, but I'm in Florida so I don't think I'll have any issues with that so I went ceramic coated.
    Last edited by TransAmX2; 07-01-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Yup^^^ mine looked just like that. Saw that y everytime I walked to the car. Hated it

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I see what happen with your low hanging ORY. It was not cut far enough back on the pipe that connects from the back of the ORy and goes back to the muffler.

I had that same problem. I weld mine (ORY) up and to include the section I mention. I did a relief cut were it bends up behind the rear passenger seat so that I can be able to take the ORY off if needed. I plan on getting a cut out and putting it there.

I'll have to get some pics to show you how it can be nice and tight.

I got my TS&P ORY 3 yrs ago and haven't had any problem till a piece of 2x4 was kicked up and bounced into my under carriage and took out a 3" section of the ORY just behind the header collector. I had to get a new section weld in there.

silver
    2000 formula

FYI...........the TSP 1 7/8 will now be offered in stainless......dont know if it bumps off the coated mild steel headers or not........it is a total hit or miss on the TSP ORY......be warned it may fit.......it may not
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 07-01-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    FYI...........the TSP 1 7/8 will now be offered in stainless......dont know if it bumps off the coated mild steel headers or not........it is a total hit or miss on the TSP ORY......be warned it may fit.......it may not
    What!? Aw man, I wanted stainless but the price kept me to get tsp headers

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

My TSP set up is low right there as well...and they put the damn cat in that spot, ive rubbed it flat, lol

Thread Information