Blue
    2002 Z-28

Questions about headers and Y pipes...

OK ive decided Id like to put some LT's on, Ive searched and cant seem to find answers to some basic questions. First, must I replace the Y pipe if I get pacesetter lt's? And what is the difference exactly with the pacesetter emissions LTs and racing. Does the lt's with emissions use cats? or does it just have 02 fittings? im a little lost on that. and is there going to be big diff with the two in power gains? Sorry for the ignorance
    Last edited by 02bluez28; 03-31-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

You'll need a different y pipe that matches the headers. There is a definite(feelable) power gain and they sound good.

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    You'll need a different y pipe that matches the headers. There is a definite(feelable) power gain and they sound good.
    So there is a definite power gain from non emmisions LT's over emissions?

Let me ask this way; Im going to get pacesetter LT's and Y pipe. I need to know if I should get with NO EGR or EGR.and is it worth getting one over the other?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    So there is a definite power gain from non emmisions LT's over emissions?

Let me ask this way; Im going to get pacesetter LT's and Y pipe. I need to know if I should get with NO EGR or EGR.and is it worth getting one over the other?
    race style has the egr blocked off. i got rid of all the egr and air bullshit.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    race style has the egr blocked off. i got rid of all the egr and air bullshit.
    Im sorry for the noob questions, I want to understand so I get the right ones for what im doing.

I still dont understand what it means to have the EGR blocked off. does one use cats and the other doesnt? and if I go racing style what modification must happen so that I have no tuning/checklights/or other issues arise?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Your car has no EGR so you need 01-02 headers without EGR hookups. You could also get the race style and get rid of the AIR system which is highly recommended. An ORY will make more power than a catted Y of course but it will also be much louder. A catted y will reuse your back 02 sensors and wont throw any codes but you could also just get rid of them and get 02 simms for the ORY which will prevent throwing any codes.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    Im sorry for the noob questions, I want to understand so I get the right ones for what im doing.

I still dont understand what it means to have the EGR blocked off. does one use cats and the other doesnt? and if I go racing style what modification must happen so that I have no tuning/checklights/or other issues arise?
    I have the emissions enabled ones. I think I have the best of both worlds because I have my emissions equipment hooked up. I can also get some block off plates to cover them if I decided to. I think mine are best since I haven't tuned out the emissions stuff. With the straight up race version, you have no choice but to not have the emissions hooked up.

Am I the only one who felt the gain of power and torque from the headers? I KNOW I feel it! Hahahahaha!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I have the emissions enabled ones. I think I have the best of both worlds because I have my emissions equipment hooked up. I can also get some block off plates to cover them if I decided to. I think mine are best since I haven't tuned out the emissions stuff. With the straight up race version, you have no choice but to not have the emissions hooked up.

Am I the only one who felt the gain of power and torque from the headers? I KNOW I feel it! Hahahahaha!
    i wouldnt call it best of both worlds. i had all the air and egr shit canned.
    no need for it when dyno tuned, its dead weight.
    yes you feel the power gain. i gained 30 to the wheels.

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Ok, thanks for the help guys. So... is it going to be a lot louder if I remove the cats? I already have an slp borla-mouth catback and love the volume of it. the original slp loudmoth was too loud for my taste and raspy

Thread Information