Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

Question question on MAF wires

i has a SLP Mas Air Flow Sensor and i was cleaning it up the other day. I was looking at the little tiny wires that connect to the metal rods in the middle and i have no idea what those actually do, i know they are really sensitive from what iv read and people saying dont touch them and yadda yadda. but my question is, what do they actually do and what would happen if they got broken or messed up or covered in grease and shit? anyone have the info on this stuff?

wrenchMadison

Thumbs up what a mass air flow sensor (maf) does

Well that wire is a resister, what it does is measures how much electrical power it takes to heat the resister to 100 deg f. Then by whatever program is used(it verys with engine, etc.) the computer is able to calculate how much air is passing by at any one time. I hope this helps.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

If they are broken for some reason...you'll need to replace the maf with a new one. Grease/oil from a aftermarket filter can be removed with electrical cleaner, or carb cleaner.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by FastAssZ
    i has a SLP Mas Air Flow Sensor and i was cleaning it up the other day. I was looking at the little tiny wires that connect to the metal rods in the middle and i have no idea what those actually do, i know they are really sensitive from what iv read and people saying dont touch them and yadda yadda. but my question is, what do they actually do and what would happen if they got broken or messed up or covered in grease and shit? anyone have the info on this stuff?
    Get some electrical cleaner (the no-residue kind) and some grease. Put some grease on those little tiny wires and then drive your car for a while and you'll see what all the "yadda yadda" is. Then take your electrical cleaner and carefully clean those little tiny wires. Drive it and then see if you notice any difference.

Thread Information