black
    2000 camaro z28

question about y-pipe banging around

i have pacesetter long tubes and a pacesetter ory... ever since i installed them when the motor torques up (low rpm) the y-pipe bangs violently against the bottom of the car... i even brought the car to an exhaust shop who after my "ok" heated it a little and flattened it in the area of problem but it still bangs... ive noticed that alot of people who have pacesetter longtubes didnt buy thier ory and got one from a different manufacturer... any info?? suggestions? personal experience?

please help thanks

red
    02 trans am ws6

my qtp's did it. some say bad motor mounts, who knows. I bought a bracket that is suppose to stop this. Its still in box I paid 35? for it. I went with true duals so if your interested I will let it go fo 25 plus shipping.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

I welded a bolt to the ORY and the bottom of the brace that crosses above the y-pipe. It's kept it solid and bang free since.

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    my qtp's did it. some say bad motor mounts, who knows. I bought a bracket that is suppose to stop this. Its still in box I paid 35? for it. I went with true duals so if your interested I will let it go fo 25 plus shipping.
    send me a p.m. with a pic if you can so i can see what this bracket looks like

Black
    2000 WS6

Check out Thunderracing..they have a good clamp for this that could possibly fix the bang issue you have.
    This Mufflex hanger uses a rubber bumpstop that will not allow the Y-pipe to hit the underbody of the car causing this situation. The lower clamp and support rods are made out of stainless steel (tig welded for strength) and the upper rod is zinc coated steel.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Hey I wrote a thread on how I fixed the y-pipe banging around. Heres the link.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59268

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    Hey I wrote a thread on how I fixed the y-pipe banging around. Heres the link.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59268
    great info... it jsut scares me becuase i feel like if i really let it loose at the track or something it will just snap that weld right off..

i think i might try the mufflex clamp first...and if it doesnt work then weld it up

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

What ever you want to do. I've beat the crap out of mine and it still hasn't broke but its your car and your decision.

SOM
    '01SS Camaro,'09 Z06

Great thread, I had the oval pipe on the drivers side cut out and round put in, car pulls harder but the pipe does bang, this gives me something to think about, $10 hanger or risk setting the floor on fire but $.40. Again thanks

Onyx Black
    1999 Z28

I have bought and installed the clamp from thunder racing but I don't think I installed it in the right place because i still hear the banging. For those of you that have successfully installed the clamp and eliminated the banging, where did you install it?

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

I have an easy fix!
    I did this on mine because it was driving me crazy.
    I took the rubber bushing from the SLP loudmouth adapter kit(come to find out I didnt need for my catback so I used it for this),cut it in half width wise (trim to fit)and shoved it in between the Y and the floor pan.
    Worked for me.
    Most important part is cutting it to the right size so that it is a snug fit.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The most important angle to getting this to stop banging is the over the axle pipe. That angle is extremely important. When mine banged after my install I got under there and loosened the exhaust all the way back to the over the axle pipe. Twist that pipe so that it changes the angle a little bit until you get the most clearance all the way around with your exhaust. Then drive in blocks of wood between the pipe and floorboad to keep them from moving while you tighten everything down really well. Drive out the blocks of wood and you should be good to go. Mine doesn't bang at all after doing that.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The most important angle to getting this to stop banging is the over the axle pipe. That angle is extremely important. When mine banged after my install I got under there and loosened the exhaust all the way back to the over the axle pipe. Twist that pipe so that it changes the angle a little bit until you get the most clearance all the way around with your exhaust. Then drive in blocks of wood between the pipe and floorboad to keep them from moving while you tighten everything down really well. Drive out the blocks of wood and you should be good to go. Mine doesn't bang at all after doing that.
    Too much work...
    Probably the best way to do it though.

Thread Information