2002 WS6 TranAm

Putting Together Ideas for WS6

I have a stock 02 WS6 with a Flowmaster Exhaust that came with car. Is anyone running Hooker LT Headers with Y, a Magna Flow and if so do you have dyno numbers, sound, etc? I see and hear alot of Pacesetters but have a source for Ceramic Hooker Headers for same type of cost. In addition I'm want to add a cold air intake but I see alot of people saying to just get the lid. Another consideration is an exhaust cutout. I figure when I get the headers, exhaust work done I'll also have the plugs changed out and get a complete tune. I'm interested in real world numbers and ideas on the intake, headers and exhaust. Cost I'm estimating for all of this is around $2K with install. Am I on target and thinking in the right direction? THanks!

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Cold Air Intake is mostly a ricer phrase...if you have a WS6, you technically have cold air coming directly into your intake. A lid will help that air flow smoothly and non-restricted.

2002 WS6 TranAm

I see kits for like the SLP that have Cold Air Induction and then I see just the lids. I don't want to get the whole kit of the Lid is all I need. I may be missing something on this but don't want to spend $ on something that's not needed.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yeah, the "CAI" is mainly for non WS6s...it pulls the air from underneath the car, but since you have a larger airbox (and Raim Air), the underneath induction is not needed.

WS6 Airbox

Regular Airbox:

Notice the difference?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Like said above the CAI are more for the Base level cars since they all require you to block off the front air inlet. And with the WS6's taller airbox opening the provided seal wouldn't work. A lid is almost mandatory on any F-body don't worry about which one because their all basically the same.
    For a WS6 the best advice is too debaffle the hood and find a way to seal the hood to the airbox.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

2002 WS6 TranAm

Thanks for the feedback on the air intake. Good news is that a lid is less than the full system. I'll have to research and find out more about getting rid of the baffles in the hood. I have heard that you can cut a hole in the back wall of the airbox which allows it to flow better as well. How about my other parts (headers, exhaust, cutout, other ideas?)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Cutting a hole in the bottom of the Air Box is essentially the Free Ram Air (FRA) mod and does allow more air into the Air Box but it may defeat the purpose of the WS6's taller airbox.
    I did this mod several yrs ago when it was listed on this site probably back in `99. It does work but I have the base Airbox with a debaffled Ram Air Hood. Worst thing about it is, it gets the filter pretty dirty.
    Headers are always good for a performance gain but you'll need a tune to realize their full potential. Catback systems are all basically the same and the diferences are based on sound and material. Your current Flowmaster system has a great sound but is restrictive compared to other systems because of the 80 series muffler. Cutouts really only work at the track where you see full throttle all the time. And IMO they make the car sound like Ass.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Very good! I've been unsure about the cutouts but know the headers and exhaust are a must with a tune. Good to know about the cutout on the airbox. I really like the way the flowmasters sound but have heard a good bit about them being restrictive. Hooker headers ceramic coated good with a Magna Flow?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

If it was me I would just do a lid and the headers/Y pipe.
    I would leave the Flowmaster set up on for now unless it's rotting off.
    The Mgnaflow will only gain you a few HP anyway and you may find something you like better down the road. My current setup is a Mufflex 3.5" with a 30 series Flowmaster Race Muffler it's a single out system that is more efficient then the dual out setups that use a single muffler. Heres a pic

I like it cause you can somewhat hide the single turn down tip for a clean look. It may not be the best for a T/A though since you have dual cutouts in the rear bumper for your exhaust.

2002 WS6 TranAm

I'm interested in getting hard facts on comparison between the FlowMaster and others. I really like the way the FlowMaster sounds and certainly eliminating having to change an exhaust would be great! I'm brand new to "modding" a car and just want to weigh my options.

Thread Information