Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Pre Cat Exhaust Pipe Question

I am starting to shop for a cat back system. In doing that I started to crawl around under the SS to get an idea of how difficult it would be to replace it myself. I was amazed to find the drivers side pipe, appears to be flattened, from SLP (or the factory) and it also seems to be hanging down more than it should. It is not bent or scraped, it came that way. When I replace the cat back, that pipe is not in line to be replaced. How much will a cat back help, if the factory pipe is flattened, and whose brilliant idea was to install one side flattened?? I have a picture of it, but can't figure out how to put it in this posting. Anyone have a thought on this? Can/should this pipe be replaced prior to the cat back install? The car: 2002 SS Camaro No exhaust mods (yet)

black
    2002 WS6

That Y-pipe is component of much debate some times. It is the factory Y-pipe. The general consenus is that it was flatened for ground clearance. True or not who knows. I do know that I have scraped it a couple of time from a low hanging clamp.

Yea I know it seems to hang down lower but not much you can do about it. You can replace it with round pipe as long as you keep the diameter down to a reasonable level.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I wouldnt worry too much about the "flat" pipe. Your not going to yield enough power to justify replacing it. When you decide to go lt's and ory then you will have a reason to change it. On the same token you will also realize that once replaced a 3" pipe will beat on the floor board.
    Personaly i had to use a bumpstop and also cut out about 1 foot of pipe and weld in a section that was angled down away from the body.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Thats good information, thanks. I still don't like the looks of that flattened pipe hanging down, but at least know enough to understand, that its the way it was designed. Thanks again for the quick responses.

Thread Information