WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

painted long tube header question

ok my buddy has a 02 camaro ss and he asked me about my headers which are pacesetter long tubes ceramic coated , he asked me if he ordered the painted long tubes and wraped them in header wrap if he woukd have any problems, i told him coated ones were the way to go for an extra 120 but hes tryin to save money , any help i would appreciate it , god bless you all

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

My buddy just bought painted pacesetters and when he got them he could sit there and chip off the paint with his fingernails brand new. Like there was oil on them before being painted.

Going by price, i would get option racing stainless headers before painted pacesetters

WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

thats what i though i know painted are junk i mean ive had no problems with mine i paid 571.98 for everything y pipe in all , i think he thinks the exhaust wrap will do wonders for them , which it might but hes gonna have 50 60 bucks in exhaust wrap

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I dont like header wrap personaly, all it does is cause your headers to rust quicker. "traps moisture in the wrap". The ceramic holds up for about a year then beings to flake and rust.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

my headers have held up pretty good , but i know what your sayin i had him look at the obx headers , which are a ebay header and i think thats what he is gonna go with i mean i see stainless steel beein the best way to go , but he doesnt have the cash to spend 1100 to 1400 , not many people these days can ,

dark blue
    2000 pontiac trans am ws6

hey, i have painted pacesetter headers, been running them about 2 years, no problem!

I've had wrapped headers before. Seemed only after about a year of driving the headers were in poor shape when I unwrapped them.

Either the extreme heat trapped breaks the metal down, or trapped moisture. Don't know which but I don't recommend wrapping anymore. On some occasions I'll wrap a very short portion of a tube if it's close to something where heat is an issue.

As far as the coatings go, I've grown to dislike the jethot ceramic coatings anymore. I have one car left that I use it on, and every 3-4 years the headers have to be pulled for a recoat, as it starts to pit and flake. It's $500 a pop now to coat a set of headers, starting to get rediculous considering a few years back it was only $180.

Anymore I just go with painted headers. The trick is to strip the headers as delivered and put a good quality heat paint on them.
    Amazingly with good paint, I can go about 3 years before the paint starts to show signs of fade and peeling. At which point it's easy to pull back off and strip and repaint, at the cost of about $5 per can,,,verses $500.
    I've got cars here with painted headers that are more than 25 years old and they still look great with a fresh coat.

Just makes more sense to me anymore. Figuring at my age and the length of time I get out of a set of headers, I can't see spending the money on coated or stainless headers anymore. I'll be dead and gone before any of my painted headers need replacing

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Remember that header wrap itself is pretty expensive. His headers will be rotted in no time aswell. If anything he should get some vht exhuast paint if he's stuck on getting painted ones.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Another thing to consider is if the headers are not designed for it, the wrap can cause the header to crack, then leak. Don't ask me how I know....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My buddy just bought painted pacesetters and when he got them he could sit there and chip off the paint with his fingernails brand new. Like there was oil on them before being painted.

Going by price, i would get option racing stainless headers before painted pacesetters
    Tell him to use the 60 bucks he was going to use on the wrap and put it towards the Ceramic coated headers. Well worth the $$. I have Pacesetter Race style Ceramic coated and love em'

WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

ok he got the pacesetter painted , he ordered them that day , we put them on and i tell ya what we sanded them re painted them with high heat spray paint, like fire bird jones said and they turned out good, and if they start chipin, a can of paint aint that much , car sounds good , thanks firebirdjones hes happy ,

Thread Information