Torch Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Pacesetter LT install, loss of power and boggy

Just installed Pacesetter LTs, removed cats, and a Borla exhaust on my 01 TA WS6. Front O2 sensors are plugged in at the collector however there are no rear O2s in it. It's lost a lot of power and very choppy and boggy acceleration especially in lower RPM range. Even hear what sounds like misfiring at idle now. I'm assuming that is from running too rich and fouling out the spark plugs. Are rear O2 sims really going to help even it back out or do I absolutely have to get it tuned? Was going to try plugging the rear O2s back into it tomorrow just to see if it made a difference but I'm not expecting any results from that. Any advice? Thanks!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1PowerWS6 View Post
    Just installed Pacesetter LTs, removed cats, and a Borla exhaust on my 01 TA WS6. Front O2 sensors are plugged in at the collector however there are no rear O2s in it. It's lost a lot of power and very choppy and boggy acceleration especially in lower RPM range. Even hear what sounds like misfiring at idle now. I'm assuming that is from running too rich and fouling out the spark plugs. Are rear O2 sims really going to help even it back out or do I absolutely have to get it tuned? Was going to try plugging the rear O2s back into it tomorrow just to see if it made a difference but I'm not expecting any results from that. Any advice? Thanks!
    sounds like you need a tune which is pretty standard after getting full exhaust done like that. You could do a mail order tune with Frost to save some money if other mods are in the near future but you wont see as good of results as you would on a dyno.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Rear O2's measure catalytic converter efficiency only and are superfluous to the operation of the PCM. They can be deleted without deleterious effect.

I did a dyno tune (had access so why not) to correct F/A mixture after I went with LT's and deleted cats and AIR...

See sig for results.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-16-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added info...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

recheck all connections on your plugs and coil packs. Sounds like you missed something. I've got pacesetters and ran mine for 8 moths with out a tune and had no issues or bogging. A tune will help alot but you can go for a while without. With out you'll run a little rich until you get the rear O2's tuned out and get a correct fuel/air tables.

Torch Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    recheck all connections on your plugs and coil packs. Sounds like you missed something. I've got pacesetters and ran mine for 8 moths with out a tune and had no issues or bogging. A tune will help alot but you can go for a while without. With out you'll run a little rich until you get the rear O2's tuned out and get a correct fuel/air tables.
    That's what I initially thought. Majority of people think it's just because its on open loop and running rich. But the way it's running I would think it'd have to be running WAY rich to make it run like it is. I'm gonna check all the spark plugs this afternoon. I'll update after that.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

If he doesn't have the rears connected and they are not tuned out it could run rich.

O2 sims are going to cost as much as the tune so just get the mail order tune and pick up a few ponies at the same time.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Thread Information