Thread: ORY Emmisions?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ORY Emmisions?

I would really like to replace the stock y-pipe with and offroad one for my 00 ws6, but im worried about not passing emmision... what does everyone do about emmisions when they get the offroad pipe

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Emissions are different everywhere so prolly get alot of different answers.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

some places have actual emissions levels testing and others have a visual (why people hollow cats). here in va we don't have anything, although it may vary from county to county even so you probably should call a shop and ask them what is checked or something.

Arctic White
    1999 Pontiac Formula

I'll give you all the possible scenarios. But it's up to you to find out which one applies to your area. First we'll start with the federal laws.

One law says you can not remove or alter emission control devices. Another law says you can not relocate emission control devices which by definition makes all mid and LT headers illegal because they push the cats further from the engine. And yet another law states you can not replace cats unless they are defective or have over 55,000 miles on them. And finally you can not replace the cats with anything other then OEM if the original cats are still manufactured and sold. Now as for testing itself.

1). No emission testing. Well this one is easy. If your area doesn't test then you're all ready GTG.

2). OBDII computer scan. Many areas that test will only plug in a computer to your car and look for codes. No codes = pass test. This is an easy fix since anyone with LS1edit or HP tuners can program your computer to not throw emission codes.

3). Sniffer test. Some areas will attatch hoses to your exhaust and actually test the fumes themselves. This will fail an ORY every time. A high flow catted Y-pipe can pass however which is at least a step in the right direction.

4). Visual inspection. Some times they will hook up a computer and put a mirror under the car to visually inspect for cats. This is where gutted cats come into play. LT headers on the other hand can cause you to fail a visual inspection "IF" the inspector knows where the cats (either gutted or HF in this case) should be located vs where they are located.

Now even in the worst case scenarios there is usually a way around it. For example most performance shops, drag strips and street racing scenes have at least some people in attendance who knows someone that works for what I call a "friendly testing station". I by no means am suggesting you break any laws but sometimes asking a few questions to the right local people can result in a very valuable phone number or address.

Good luck!
    Last edited by darrensls1; 06-05-2008 at 06:00 AM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by jaw3_ws6 View Post
    I would really like to replace the stock y-pipe with and offroad one for my 00 ws6, but im worried about not passing emmision... what does everyone do about emmisions when they get the offroad pipe
    here in chicago we have an odb test not the sniffer. as long as your car isnt throwing codes youll pass.
    i have a cammed car with an off road pipe and pass.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Indigo Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    here in chicago we have an odb test not the sniffer. as long as your car isnt throwing codes youll pass.

I replaced the flat part of my y-pipe. Would a SLP y-pipe help any?

Indigo Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post

I replaced the flat part of my y-pipe. Would a SLP y-pipe help any?

Thread Information