Red
    1997 Firebird M5

Opinions on cut outs?

What's your opinion on cut outs? Any positive or negative gains? Do you think a shop could possibly make custom ones for relatively cheap? And what bolt on mods do I need in order to do them? Ive got a magnaflow 3'' catbackright now, but I'm not sure if I need headers and a y-pipe and no cat to do it. Thanks for the help!

LPM
    2000 Z28

You don't need any bolt ons to use one. You can easily have one put on a stock exhaust so you're fine.

Pros: horsepower. I dynoed 10 rwhp higher with the cutout open on my bolt-on only car.

Cons: electric cutouts are great for the convenience but the motors are prone to seizing. If you dont go electric you have to crawl under the car. Another chance for an exhaust leak if its not done right.

The noise level can fall under either category, depending on your taste. Pro for me

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

Yes to me, without the cutout, the car sounds so weak! (Ive got LT's and with the cutout sounds SO much better) Even if you have nothing done to your car, if you like the sound of a loud car then get the Cutout for that alone. I got a 3" on my stock exhaust.

You can get them for like 45-50$ then you can find a shop to do it for like 40-50 bucks. Dont go to Macco or any big named places, they charged me 90$ JUST to put my 1st one on. Shoulda looked around because I went to another place and they charged me like 45$ i think. So just look around

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    Yes to me, without the cutout, the car sounds so weak! (Ive got LT's and with the cutout sounds SO much better) Even if you have nothing done to your car, if you like the sound of a loud car then get the Cutout for that alone. I got a 3" on my stock exhaust.

You can get them for like 45-50$ then you can find a shop to do it for like 40-50 bucks. Dont go to Macco or any big named places, they charged me 90$ JUST to put my 1st one on. Shoulda looked around because I went to another place and they charged me like 45$ i think. So just look around
    ^^ +1

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Get the eBay ones!
    $117 shipped ready to installed.
    Plus it comes with a remote control
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

2000 WS6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Get the eBay ones!
    $117 shipped ready to installed.
    Plus it comes with a remote control
    where do you see for $117?
    2000 pewter WS6 M6 ASC #4678 - BBK LT/ORY, LS6 intake, magnaflow cb, slp lid, ported TB, skip shift,3.73s, MGW, Textralia OZ700, Tick MC, e-cutout, Koni/BMR, UMI SFC, Spohn lca/phb, founders lca relocation more to come

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Search ebay you'll find a good deal on kit for under $200.I went with badlandz kit myself. As mentioned before any decent exhaust shop will weld the cutout on for $40-50 and then the elictric gate is easy to install and wire up yourself. Since you have a magnaflow catback you'll be able to enjoy a good sounding exhaust and then a loud ass exhaust at the flip of the switch. I recommend LT's and ORY before the cutout but with the cutout it's still a win.

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

i know what LT's are but what does ORY mean? Haha. And yeah ill definately be doing headers and a y-pipe before the cutout.

LPM
    2000 Z28

ORY = off road y pipe

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

oh duh haha im stupid

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by sok915 View Post
    where do you see for $117?
    That's how much I paid for mine.
    I believe they still the same price

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

electric cutout is by far my favorite mod. i had it on my car when it was completly stock except for a magnaflow catback. i had it welded in about 8 inches after the cat back joins the factory y pipe....even with stock manifolds and cats it sounded mean. i got all sorts of compliments on how it sounded with the cutout open. and its not obnoxious loud to where itll get you in trouble. now i still have my cutout on the car with long tube headers and a off road y...now it it just loud as f*** with the cutout open haha. its loud enough to shake the car when driving. but i would definatly reccomend a cutout. their alot of fun. and will make smiles appear

NBM
    1998Z28

Get you a DMH electric cutout. They have a 3 year warranty. Get the cutout pipe from Jegs or Summit and have it welded under the passengers rear seat floorboard. Fits perfect and the floorboard already has a rubber grommet there handy for running your wires thru. Then crank her up with the cutout open and set the Mustang parked next to yours car alarm off.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Thread Information