Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil pressure

Blue
    2000 t/a

oil pressure

what is the oil pressure sitting at on everybodys cars here when the engine is at 210 degrees?

Blue
    2000 t/a

does anybody know?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

ideling its around lil under 55 then cruising around its a lil over 60

Blue
    2000 t/a

mine is at 40 idling!should i worry?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

lol the only reason mine is so high is b.c it a new engine and oil pump...40 is still above the red i would worry if it got in the 30's but not intill then.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

no its fine!!

Blue
    2000 t/a

well i also rear main seal oil leak and im running royal purple. i may pour in some lucas in it to help it a bit!

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird99 View Post
    well i also rear main seal oil leak and im running royal purple. i may pour in some lucas in it to help it a bit!
    Don't put any Lucas in. The additive package in any decent oil is so good it's wasted money. Also, more pressure does not always mean more flow. Oil pressure is higher the greater resistance to flow. I know it seems contradictary to some ways of thinking but it is fact.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

40 psi is fine at idle. I'd say that's pretty close to the average. Usually 40 at idle and ~60 on the highway.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

i've heard alot of mechanics say your fine as long as your around 30 psi.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I tend to think of it similar to blood preassure to high and that is no good, and to low is not good either. In some cases your oil preassure will move around. I know mine has been higher since the new oil pump that I had installed with the cam swap, but it is a ported and shimmed oil pump. As long as you are staying away from the red zones on the gauge in general you should be fine.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I tend to think of it similar to blood preassure to high and that is no good, and to low is not good either. In some cases your oil preassure will move around. I know mine has been higher since the new oil pump that I had installed with the cam swap, but it is a ported and shimmed oil pump. As long as you are staying away from the red zones on the gauge in general you should be fine.
    how much was that oil pump i think i might do that.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird99 View Post
    mine is at 40 idling!should i worry?
    Dude thats high psi imo.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    i've heard alot of mechanics say your fine as long as your around 30 psi.
    30 is fine- even 20 is fine- as long as it goes up 10psi for every 1,000 rpms you are good to go.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    how much was that oil pump i think i might do that.

You can find them from most of the speed shops/sponsors for around $100-150ish. I just bought mine from the same place that I bought all the rest of my cam parts so that I only would be dealing with one person for my convenience.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    30 is fine- even 20 is fine- as long as it goes up 10psi for every 1,000 rpms you are good to go.
    Good to know-

I've heard that other places too, that a general rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1K rpm's.

Mine has me a bit worried though. It's within that range, but almost overnite it's gone from 40psi at idle hot to 25psi. On the highway at 1500rpm it's just under 40, but that's low too.

I'm overdue on an oil change, the light just came on. Running Mobil1 5W-30 and Fram filter. I picked up some Castrol and a WIX filter, I just haven't had the time/weather to do it yet.

Hopefully that's it, although the miles on the oil never has any effect on my 134k straight 6 Jeep.; 35psi @ idle and 45 while cruising.

Is it possible for the pressure to drop so suddenly? Could it be the sending unit going?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Good to know-

I've heard that other places too, that a general rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1K rpm's.

Mine has me a bit worried though. It's within that range, but almost overnite it's gone from 40psi at idle hot to 25psi. On the highway at 1500rpm it's just under 40, but that's low too.

I'm overdue on an oil change, the light just came on. Running Mobil1 5W-30 and Fram filter. I picked up some Castrol and a WIX filter, I just haven't had the time/weather to do it yet.

Hopefully that's it, although the miles on the oil never has any effect on my 134k straight 6 Jeep.; 35psi @ idle and 45 while cruising.

Is it possible for the pressure to drop so suddenly? Could it be the sending unit going?
    It very well could be the sending unit which is a simple fix that cost 30-40 bucks. Another consideration is you mentioned the oil is past due for a change-that can affect oil PSI. Another consideration is the gauge its self not being accurate. I would go with 10-40 just that little difference will help the pressure alot. 5-30 is too thin. I have run 10-40 in my z/28 for years. I would change oil and see what happens-if the psi is still low change the sending unit. If all else fails-new pump. I had a sending unit go out in my last z/28 and the pressure seemed to drop over night like you mentioned-it was weird because the guage still moved when it got hot etc.-just like it should. I put a new sending unit in and oil psi went to like 50psi at idle.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

It very well could be the sending unit which is a simple fix that cost 30-40 bucks. Another consideration is you mentioned the oil is past due for a change-that can affect oil PSI. Another consideration is the gauge its self not being accurate. I would go with 10-40 just that little difference will help the pressure alot. 5-30 is too thin. I have run 10-40 in my z/28 for years. I would change oil and see what happens-if the psi is still low change the sending unit. If all else fails-new pump. I had a sending unit go out in my last z/28 and the pressure seemed to drop over night like you mentioned-it was weird because the guage still moved when it got hot etc.-just like it should. I put a new sending unit in and oil psi went to like 50psi at idle.
    Thanks alot for the info, I'll try that.

I run the 5-30 because that what it said in the manual, although with almost 72k going a bit thicker would probably be a good idea.

Funny what you said about the sending unit, mine does that too. It moves when I rev the motor or coast, and reads different from hot to cold, just at lower PSI's.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Well oil pressure will definately drop when the car reaches operating temperature. When its cold out the oil pressure will start out being even greater when the car is first started then as the car warms it drops some. In the summer time oil pressure wont be as high because its hotter when the car first starts. Even though the 10-40 isnt much thicker oil it will help your oil pressure. My car just hit 70,000 on the clock.

NBM
    98 formula

I agree with this guy. At start up I'm at 55(I think). once it warms up its 40 at idle,but if I'm driving for long periods of time and its hot it will get as low as 36-37 around that at a red light. As long as it goes up when you nail it your fine.

Thread Information