Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    98 Trans Am

Off Road Y-Pipe for stock exhaust manifolds?

Do they make one? All the ones I've seen are for headers and won't fit, my cats are probably the originals with over 200k on them, and I'm sure they're choking a few ponies on this "off road" car of mine.

A guy I know can just put pipes in place for $100, but my Y-pipe has a few kinks, so I figured just changeing the whole thing, and I don't feel like spending the money and work putting headers on right now. What to do?

Black
    98 Trans Am

also, my service light has been on since I bought it in august, it's throwing an exhaust catalyst code so I don't care about not seeing the light and using 02 sims...when I swap out the lazy 2.73 diff for a 3.42 one, I'll correct the speedo and take the code out through the pcm.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Stainless Works, SLP, and I think Random Technologies make off-road y-pipe for stock manifolds.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Stainless Works, SLP, and I think Random Technologies make off-road y-pipe for stock manifolds.

I think the only one out of those 3 that's off road is the stainless works one and at $357 it's a bit pricey. Summitt sells the edelbrock 3 inch for $105 right now but it will only work with headers...or else that would be perfect.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    I think the only one out of those 3 that's off road is the stainless works one and at $357 it's a bit pricey. Summitt sells the edelbrock 3 inch for $105 right now but it will only work with headers...or else that would be perfect.
    You will not see a big enough gain for the money to install any of these. So, I would recommend LTH's putting a stright pipe in place of the cats.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If you found someone to put in some pipes for 100$ that would probly be your cheapest route. Check out thunderracing.com, they have some bypass pipes.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    You will not see a big enough gain for the money to install any of these. So, I would recommend LTH's putting a stright pipe in place of the cats.
    The gain will be that my cats are probably clogged some, and I'd love to put some nice headers and Y on, but the near $1000 price won't make sense if my trans or motor takes a crap on me, and those headers are nice and shiny on the car sitting in my driveway. I'll put headers on the time I do the motor after I swap a 6spd in.

Black
    98 Trans Am

That would be what I'm looking for, thanks, however I'm not sure if it's worth probably the $200 more including installation over just getting pipes in place, I was hoping to find a Y for about $100 like that Edelbrock one Summit sells.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    If you found someone to put in some pipes for 100$ that would probly be your cheapest route. Check out thunderracing.com, they have some bypass pipes.
    J
    Looks like that's what I'll probably end up doing, unless I can find a nice cheap/used ORY somewhere. THE bassani ones thunder sells are nice but it doesn't pay for me to spend over $300 on one only to have to change it and but another one when I put long tubes on.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I believe the bypass pipes Thunder sells cost more than the Mac Y. Why pay someone else to install it? Only 7-8 bolts to swap it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Bassani makes a 3" ORY for stock manifolds as well.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I believe the bypass pipes Thunder sells cost more than the Mac Y. Why pay someone else to install it? Only 7-8 bolts to swap it.
    There is no cutting and welding involved in changing the Y-pipe?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    There is no cutting and welding involved in changing the Y-pipe?
    Nope.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Nope.

Wasn't sure about that really wish I could find one for around $100 like the edelbrock one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Black
    2002 Z28

I am having the same issue. I have a 02 Z and just want to put a Y pipe that bolts to the manifolds on it. I would love to run the mac but it is for 98-99 f bodies. What the heck is the diff between the two cars other than EGR? And if that is the only difference will it bolt right up and just have an extra o2 bung in it? I have all the software to turn off the rear o2 code so I am not really worried about that. I have been pulling my hair out for the last week trying to figure this out. If you can help please, please speak up. Oh and I do not want long tubes just a Y that bolts to the manifolds and I dont want to spend a arm and a leg... thats not to much to ask is it?? Oh yeah sorry for the thread hijack!

Black
    2002 WS6

y-pipe help

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack02_Z View Post
    I am having the same issue. I have a 02 Z and just want to put a Y pipe that bolts to the manifolds on it. I would love to run the mac but it is for 98-99 f bodies. What the heck is the diff between the two cars other than EGR? And if that is the only difference will it bolt right up and just have an extra o2 bung in it? I have all the software to turn off the rear o2 code so I am not really worried about that. I have been pulling my hair out for the last week trying to figure this out. If you can help please, please speak up. Oh and I do not want long tubes just a Y that bolts to the manifolds and I dont want to spend a arm and a leg... thats not to much to ask is it?? Oh yeah sorry for the thread hijack!
    I too am looking for a y-pipe that will connect directly to stock manifold on an 02 firebird. I want the y-pipe that has the up stream o2 sensor bungs installed. I'm running simulator o2's on the down stream side but I have to keep the up stream sensors. anyone have a link or any ideas where I can get a y-pipe that lets me bypass the catalyst and connect directly to the manifold

Thanks.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by joevee1446 View Post
    I too am looking for a y-pipe that will connect directly to stock manifold on an 02 firebird. I want the y-pipe that has the up stream o2 sensor bungs installed. I'm running simulator o2's on the down stream side but I have to keep the up stream sensors. anyone have a link or any ideas where I can get a y-pipe that lets me bypass the catalyst and connect directly to the manifold

Thanks.
    upstream 02 sensors go in the manifolds not the y pipe.

Black
    2002 WS6

upstream 02 sensors go in the manifolds not the y pipe.
    I maybe mistaken, but I believe the upstream are in the CATs. Therefore, if I replace the y-pipe going straight to the manifold I will need two o2 sensor bungs in the new y-pipe.

I'll check in the morning but I am fairly sure the up stream o2's are in the CAT's on the manifold side.

Thanks for the reply.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by joevee1446 View Post
    I maybe mistaken, but I believe the upstream are in the CATs. Therefore, if I replace the y-pipe going straight to the manifold I will need two o2 sensor bungs in the new y-pipe.

I'll check in the morning but I am fairly sure the up stream o2's are in the CAT's on the manifold side.

Thanks for the reply.
    You are mistaken.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

MAC makes one but I dont know if its stainless
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Thread Information