Thread: O2's

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

O2's

Is it neccesary to install new O2 or can I keep my old ones when i do a header swap?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You can keep the old ones, not necessary to get new ones.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Also how long can i go with out a tune for my headers.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    Also how long can i go with out a tune for my headers.
    Its not a must to get a tune after headers, you will run rich which means you your MPG will decrease, but it won't be harming your performance. You will operate just fine without tuning. Tuning for headers is just icing on the cake.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

thanks for the help Y2K.

dark blue
    2000 pontiac trans am ws6

dang!

i've been getting better gas mileage with my long tube headers, 3 inch y and my TSB catback, also i have the free ram air mod, k and n (bah), slp lid, ported tB and the ls6 intake, i've been experencing better gas mileage and i have no tune.

I have no idea how much hp i'm at right now either...i'm just going by what people have done to their cars and seem to have differences, especially the long tubes and the ls6...word, may 385 bhp and perhaps 350 rwhp?? i dunno

Should i get a tune?

I had to extend my o2 sensors and pick up some 02 sim's for the rear to prevent the SES light from coming on.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post
    dang!

i've been getting better gas mileage with my long tube headers, 3 inch y and my TSB catback, also i have the free ram air mod, k and n (bah), slp lid, ported tB and the ls6 intake, i've been experencing better gas mileage and i have no tune.

I have no idea how much hp i'm at right now either...i'm just going by what people have done to their cars and seem to have differences, especially the long tubes and the ls6...word, may 385 bhp and perhaps 350 rwhp?? i dunno

Should i get a tune?

I had to extend my o2 sensors and pick up some 02 sim's for the rear to prevent the SES light from coming on.
    Its not necessary to get a tune, but its beneficial
    If you're happy with the way your car is running then i would wait
    I'm going to have almost the same mods as you and i'm gonna tune mine
    Its not too costly to get it tuned by frost either

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

what type of o2 sensors do people buy as replacements and where do they get them? i dont want anything unreliable. on my dodge i tried bosch and they were horrible the truck wouldnt even idle right so i went with walker and those are the best.

dark blue
    2000 pontiac trans am ws6

what type of o2 sensors do people buy as replacements and where do they get them? i dont want anything unreliable. on my dodge i tried bosch and they were horrible the truck wouldnt even idle right so i went with walker and those are the best.
    I just used my stock o2 sensors and they've been great, mine you tho, i had to extend those wirings for both front driver and passenger sides. My car has approx 73000 miles on it.

Its not necessary to get a tune, but its beneficial
    If you're happy with the way your car is running then i would wait
    I'm going to have almost the same mods as you and i'm gonna tune mine
    Its not too costly to get it tuned by frost either
    I;m guessing my car is running lean with all the extra air and not enough fuel to combust...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post
    I;m guessing my car is running lean with all the extra air and not enough fuel to combust...
    you're most likely running rich after headers

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    Is it neccesary to install new O2 or can I keep my old ones when i do a header swap?
    this is kind of a loaded question.....how many miles are on your stock sensors? Technically you can keep the old sensors but if there's a bunch of miles on them I'd probably swap them out. You can get bosch 13111 sensors up front and not have to run extensions. I would say if you're in the 70-80k range mileage wise on the original O2's I'd probably swap them out. They're a wear item just like spark plugs and although they may not be bad they will start to wander over time due to fouling.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Orioin, my problem is that my O2 simulators didn't cure my SES light. I've got an Actron scanner that I used to turn off my SES light when I installed the sims on the rears, and it only took a couple miles from my house for my SES to pop back on. Hooked the scanner back up to read 4 codes "NO ACTIVITY". This is a BIG reason I'm trying to determine my header brand so I can match an ORY and tune everything (along with performance too of course). Any idea WHY the computer is reading no activity? O2 sims defective?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the sims should keep that light off. If your light is still coming on I would definitely suspect the sims. You're better off going to a tuner and having those codes deleted and being done with them. I realize you already have the sims so that advice doesn't really help you much now but it really is true. Even when the sims work they're known not to be very durable. You plugged them into the o2 harness correct? I know, simple question but you never know when someone overlooked something. Were they new sims or used?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the sims should keep that light off. If your light is still coming on I would definitely suspect the sims. You're better off going to a tuner and having those codes deleted and being done with them. I realize you already have the sims so that advice doesn't really help you much now but it really is true. Even when the sims work they're known not to be very durable. You plugged them into the o2 harness correct? I know, simple question but you never know when someone overlooked something. Were they new sims or used?
    They were used I would assume. Dude I bought the car from said he picked 'em up off ebay I beleive and that they "didn't work". Which he would be correct. Orion, please look at my other thread I had started about my exhaust, I created a photobucket account and linked it to a new post but it says it needs to be approved by a moderator.

Thread Information