Thread: O2 simulators?

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

O2 simulators?

So i finally got around to putting my PaceSetter headers in when i realized my TPS catted- Y didnt have 02 sensor bungs. Should i make holes or have someone weld in bung pieces? Or should i just get O2 simulators? would i have any problems with the sims? I plan on getting it tuned sometime before summer, but i dont know exactly when. Also, where can i buy O2 sims? I think i saw a pair on ebay for $70, but id rather not use ebay or pay so much.

Thanks alot

and one more thing.....how will my car act without the rear sims for a 1 hour drive home from the garage?

red
    1999 trans am convert

I've been researching this alot since I'm about to get headers.I've read numerous posts and sticky note info, that the rear O2's are not needed for car to run OK.They only compare input exhaust and output in order to check if cats are working.If not plugged in the worst thing that will happen is throwing a code.
    However,you paid a lot extra for a Y-pipe with cats in it to be emissions legal and if you use a sim,it kinda defeats the purpose?If you use a sim then you shouldn't get a code but I've read posts where guys said they still did.
    Cheapest thing is no sims and see the SES light all the time.Next thing is sims,and thirdly get bungs welded in.
    I think this is solid info and many of the more knowledgable members will hopefully agree.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I wouldn't bother with getting bungs installed on the y pipe. Just get the sims for your car sometime before you inspection so you don't throw a code. When i get my headers and y installed, i'll use the sims so i don't have to get under that bitch any more than I have to.
    Also, it wouldn't be a waste getting sims with a catted y because you might have to pass a visual test, and they could also scan the computer. depends what state your in.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    and one more thing.....how will my car act without the rear sims for a 1 hour drive home from the garage?
    Your car should be fine. it should just throw a code, thats it.
    By the way, I saw some ebay sims for $10... i don't know if i can trust that. I think ws6store is one of our sponsors and they had them for the cheapest i could find.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp, like said above your car will run fine, the rear 02 sensors only measure the efficency of your cat's. 02 sims will send the correct reading back to the computer telling it that the cats are running fine. Its just an emissions thing. Dont worry about putting in the bungs because you will still throw a light if you put real sensors back in. I would reccomend either getting the car tunned and the codes for the rear 02 sensors deleted or just picking up some 02 simulators, in the mean time you will throw a trouble code for bad cats.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

ok thanks

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Cheaper for me to pass on the sims and have a shop turn off the rear O2 codes.

Sims are a waste in my opinion. Just get the codes turned off via HPTuners or another editing program.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

yeah thats what im going to do. ill be getting the car tuned next week. i hope for some nice gains with the tune and full exhaust

Thread Information