2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

o2 extensions DIY

I'm installing my lt's this weekend and had some spare male and female connectors for the o2 sensors, so I'm gonna try my hand at making some diy extensions and see how it goes. Question is that do the wire colors change from the engine harness to the o2 sensor or is it purple on the harnes to purple on the o2 tan to tan etc? P.s I kno the colors above arent right but you get the idea.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Been there, done that.

Failed. Those wires are picky, and require a certain level of resistance for everything to work properly.
    I would spend the $20 on the extensions personally.

Let us know how it goes though....maybe I just had a really shitty experience with it.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I'm installing my lt's this weekend and had some spare male and female connectors for the o2 sensors, so I'm gonna try my hand at making some diy extensions and see how it goes. Question is that do the wire colors change from the engine harness to the o2 sensor or is it purple on the harnes to purple on the o2 tan to tan etc? P.s I kno the colors above arent right but you get the idea.
    You are going to have a hard time making them right. The only time I have ever made wire extensions work on a very picky circuit is by using Deutsch assembly's and thier own connectors. Regular connectors usually dont have what it takes, GL though, it might work.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I tried this on my previous vert, it was a failure as well. Spend the money and save yourself several headaches.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Alright I may give it a shot I just had some spare o2 sensors laying around along with the female ends so i was just gonna cut both and solder them together and see what happened only reason I may try it is because I'm pressed for time. About the whole resistance thing are you guys talking about just extending the one side of the harness? I was thinking like said above to get two junk oem connectors and wiring them just like the pacesetter extensions. I know other people on mustang forums have done this with success but idk i gues the chevys are different.
    Dan-

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I tried making my own and I failed. Ended up wasting time and bought extensions

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ok thanks guys all said and done I will probably just order the sensor and wit to put my headers on... However I was a little curious and found this....http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Text=o2+sensor

the reason I gather people cant make extensions is because the wire coming off the o2 sensor is an odd kind. However people do have success extending just the engine side because its copper and can be soldered, but I'm not going to cut into the engine harness for 30 bucks. These o2 sensors up top are from a v6 which there are plenty of at the j yard by my house. So on a v6 there should be 2 male and 2 female connectors coming off the engine with copper wire going to them. For next to nothing and to kill time I may go grab these off a v6 and solder them together to make a replica extension and see how it goes... I will post results when done. If they dont work will you be able to tell right off the bat or will it take some driving for the pcm to start reading the o2s?
    Thanks Dan-

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i would just buy a set o2 stuff is a pain to get right. here is a set for $20
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=260&catid=57
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i would just buy a set o2 stuff is a pain to get right. here is a set for $20
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=260&catid=57
    before that check out someone who supports this site like Mark at KYSPEED.com. Even if he doesn't list it on his site he can still get it. Try pm'ing him. I think his s/n is markls1ta or something like that

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i just posted that coz its what i found the fastes and i cant find them on ky speeds site but ya i would try and pm mark and see if he can get them for you here is his link
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=34783

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I will probably end up ordering them its just I'm back and forth from home to college and the above stuff is next to nothing cheap and right down the road from me. Ive got a day to kill anyway so I'll try above and if,when I fail I'll just wait it out and order the extensions.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Don't make your own. Besides what I am telling you, you have a ton of first-hand experience in here.

Thread Information