Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Ninobrn99 step inside

If you could offer out some knowledge it would help me out greatly. You already helped my get a cam and the necessary supporting upgrade components for it as well. I gained 25rwhp and 14rwtq respectively. I have now sitting in my place MAC mid-tubes and ORY. I just bought over the weekend a new LS6 intake and should hopefully have it by weeks end. I'm going to be very 'giving' in the numbers I expect to see with these mods, but what I am wondering is, with a good tune, possibly 10rwhp from the intake and 15 from the headers, is it possible to see another 25 rwhp and 10-15 rwtq combined? Or is there a chance I might see more because the cam will be able to breathe better and expell the gases better? my goal is 400 rwhp, and I know LT and ORY would get me closer, but I couldn't pass on a deal for a new set of MAC's for 350 shipped. Mods in my sig. Your thoughts?
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    If you could offer out some knowledge it would help me out greatly. You already helped my get a cam and the necessary supporting upgrade components for it as well. I gained 25rwhp and 14rwtq respectively. I have now sitting in my place MAC mid-tubes and ORY. I just bought over the weekend a new LS6 intake and should hopefully have it by weeks end. I'm going to be very 'giving' in the numbers I expect to see with these mods, but what I am wondering is, with a good tune, possibly 10rwhp from the intake and 15 from the headers, is it possible to see another 25 rwhp and 10-15 rwtq combined? Or is there a chance I might see more because the cam will be able to breathe better and expell the gases better? my goal is 400 rwhp, and I know LT and ORY would get me closer, but I couldn't pass on a deal for a new set of MAC's for 350 shipped. Mods in my sig. Your thoughts?
    Without an U/D pulley and ported TB, your numbers wont be optimal. 400 is a big goal with mids and that small of a cam. If it were a custom ground 224 with a lower lsa (110) and a more agressive lobe then maybe, but with those mods and a good tune, peak should be 380 or so. I have seen the 224 put down some crazy numbers on some 'factory freeks' but you would've known that from the first few mods The beauty of the 224 isnt its peak power, but that it has more area under the curve, so you have a much better power band and useable power. If its a street car, then you'll be happy...for a while you will want to go bigger, but with that, you lose some of the low end power to gain it up top. gears would help, but heads with that cam would be even better. 400 is a number most shoot for and come up short on. I know i did. I had a full bolt on(minus the pulley) with a 228/228 114 and was also expecting 400 cam only but was only able to manage 377/372. Low numbers?? to me they were, but the power down low made up for it I dont know if that helps, but I hope it does.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

it does help. the specs on my cam are 224/224 .581/.581 112lsa it gives crazy power like you mention under the curve and pulls hard clear to 6600rpm. I know the MAC's will give me a little more low end increase in power, but i'm still trying to figure out where the LS6 intake comes into play. Low in the power band, higher up, or across the board? obviously i would think across the board since it flows better than the LS1 intake. I am just trying to figure out if I have maxed out the gains with my cam at that 25rwhp and 14 rwtq gain, or if there could still be a little 'freakiness' left in it like you said. Yes the car is a DD so even 380 to the wheels will allow me to pull away from most anything i see on the road. thanks for the input. if you recommend a good TB or a place to get the factory one ported, what do you suggest? Stock is 75mm, and I think the LS6 can handle up to 80mm correct?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Opening up your intake will help the cam out even more. It would be a gain across the board. Thats what it was designed for. The most noticeable gain would be from mid-range to top end power. you will see a gain in peak, but if you go to the same dyno, and get it dyno'd there, compare and you should see the power band raised from start to finish. A ported TB is a ported TB. Mike at New Era does them for $75 I think. Shaner i think is in Dallas or DFW area. I dont remember, but he's pretty damn good. Also, get a U/D pulley. If you cant afford it now, its cool...just be sure you put it on the to do list

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I should be getting my intake tomorrow!

This is how I have decided to approach the install of the intake and headers. My state inspection is up at the end of August. In 2 weeks I will go have the car inspected (pass of course), install the headers and then go to RPM and have them install the intake and tune it. I figure mid-Aug is when I will have new numbers to post (about 3 wks out from now).

When you mention the TB porting, do you mean from the stock 75mm to 78mm, or can the stock TB be ported more? Also, when you mention the U/D pulley, are you just talking the crank pulley or the whole set? Even more, what do you know about LS6 heads, prices?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

just do the intake install yourself. its really not hard at all. If you can do the header install, you can knock out the intake. I agree with passing inspection first, then modding. thats what I did I believe porting it takes it to ~78mm. I mean just the crank pulley unless you have something that needs more power than normal to keep running, then go with the alt. pulley also. LS6 heads can be found cheap. I think i paid 500 for mine shipped. That was for both and they're stock heads. I know patriot just put their bare heads on sale for 345 or something like that. If you search the forums you can find a set pretty cheap.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

also, what do you want to know about the ls6 heads? they have a 64.45 combustion chamber over the stock 66.xx. better flow and increase SCR by a little since it does have smaller CC's. Installing with a thinner gasket (.045) should help gain about .5 more compression. Somewhere abouts.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

since I just upgraded my heads with new dual patriot gold dual springs, retainers and pushrods, because if my cam...if I picked up a set of LS6 heads, would I need to swap anything out/over from my LS1 heads to the LS6heads?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

yes, everything that came with the springs will need to be swapped over.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Nino, I sold the MAC mids/ORY and decided to go with Stainless steel LT's off of Ebay, similar to what RedRalleyZ purchased and installed on his car. I got them for $299+ shipping. This should help get me closer (hopefully) to my 400rwhp goal and give me the low end TQ im looking for as well. Keep you posted. Now its finding the time to install everything...lol

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

good luck with it. let me know what you think of them. someone was asking me about them the other day.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

just curious, so I thought I would run this by you. since I have the cam already and i'll be installing the Ls6 intake and LT's, and after all is done and installed, I will have complete intake and exhaust modified (minus heads for the time being). do you think I should look into getting larger injectors? if so, what size/flow rate: lbs/hr? if the stock holds fine for what I have then I'm not to concerned and would look into injectors once I find out what heads I would like to end up with. thanks!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i like to run 42lbs, but im sure 30# would be sufficent. the stockers on 00 are only 26lbs.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

would the added flow from the larger injectors add to any increase in either HP/TQ gains? at what point should I look into injectors? right now when I install the LT's and intake to compliment the full intake and exhaust upgrades, or once I figure out what heads I plan to go with? if I went w/42lbs/hr injectors, would that make me run too rich even with a tune?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

im not sure if they'll give you more hp, but they wont run as hard as the stockers. if your injectors are running over 80% injector duty cycle, then you'll want to change them. you wont run richer if they're tuned correctly. all that should need to be done is change the IFR and the pulse width. im running 42lb on a n/a cam only "ls6"

Thread Information