red
    2000 trans am

ngk tr55 spark plug issue

So I just puled all my plugs and im wondering what your guys opinions are they have about 8 k on them I just swapped to tr6, s

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...411_181736.jpg

red
    2000 trans am

Im concerned with the oil on the threads im also running the polluter cam

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Have you had a dynotune with the cam? They look burnt to me as well as well oiled. Also have you run any sea foam or something similar through your engine? It has been known to foul plugs.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Have you had a dynotune with the cam? They look burnt to me as well as well oiled. Also have you run any sea foam or something similar through your engine? It has been known to foul plugs.
    Car was tuned with these plugs also I have used seafoam in the oil gas and through the booster butbwith the tr6s it runs so much smoother , but honestly seeing that much oil scared me

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If your engine is burning oil, you will have telltale blue smoke coming out the exhaust. I can't really see the electrodes in the pic, but the coloration really doesn't look too bad. Did you clean around the plugs before removing them? Any external oil weepage from the rocker cover down into the plug wells? If so, the threads will come out with an oily look to them.

FWIW, stop dumping Seafoam into your car. Once a year, use Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner and, if you insist on running something else, then do the TCW3 oil treatment at one (1) ounce per five (5) gallons of fuel as often as you would like.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Get a catch can if your concerned about oil use.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

from what I can see they don't look that bad to me....electrodes look like a decent color from what I can tell and that's not enough oil to worry about.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

A very light tan color is normal.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

I agree, not a good pic of the porcelain but from what I can see the color looks fine. Just a heads up, going to the TR6 is a colder plug so if you are worried about oil or gas fouling the issue would actually be worse with the colder plug.

Any oil entering the combustion chamber is a bad thing, and alot of that can be traced back to the horrible PCV design. I agree these engines all need catch cans, I'd invest in one if you don't have it already just as suggested. That would clean up some of what you are seeing.

Would be hard to see any oil smoke out the tailpipes if you are still running cats (unless you have a very severe oil issue), because the cats burn up most everything before it exits the tailpipe, so mild smoke usually won't make it out the tailpipes.

I also use the TCW3 2 cycle oil mixed in the gas just as Jeff suggested, 1 oz per 5 gallons for gas engines, and I mix 1 oz per 2 gallons for the diesel. Good cleaning and lube abilities at the same time. It's also cheap to do. $11 for a gallon at walmart will treat about 600 gallons at that gasoline mix ratio.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-12-2013 at 07:58 AM.

red
    2000 trans am

The tr6s were recommended by martin over at tick gapped at 45 thats why I switched and I have a catch can already the porcelain lookes good I was concerned with the oil on the threads when I did the cam and spring I put all new head gaskets valve seats and new valve cover gaskets .. and I was told for every 100 hp you go a step colder my baseline was 305 after all my mods I came out to 411 hp with 370 tq
    Polluter,410 gears,ls6 intake,pacesetter long tubes ,tsp true duals,slp pulley,slp lid,stock pp throttle body,strano springs n sway bars,founders performance stb,Lca's and Lca relocation brackets,adjustable phb and phb relocation bracket,umi 3point sfc's ,diamond stg2 clutch,koni 4/3s,mgw shifter

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is your catch can... catching? Some designs are better than others. Maybe open up your throttle plate a take a look inside with a flashlight to see if things are oiled up.

red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is your catch can... catching? Some designs are better than others. Maybe open up your throttle plate a take a look inside with a flashlight to see if things are oiled up.
    Yes it is I empty it every oil change with quite a bit of oil I have the rpm speed /ws6 store catch can

Thread Information