Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans am ws6

newb, stock, driveway mods?

hey, alright just bought my 02 ws6, all that it has is custom slp loudmouth,
    im looking for a good combination of mods i can do possably over a weekend, im a marine and i live in the brks,
    i have a set of pacesetter lts,
    *note i do nto know most of the abbv. i see on here so full names help me out alot, i want to learn as much as i can here.
    from reading arround i have figured out,
    frost tune, lt headers,
    but alot of what i read i dont quite understand right now, so if anyone wants to help me and anyone else that new out, let me know what is soem good things to start out with, and also what exactly does that part or tune do for me thanks in advance

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

tune corrects the air to fuel ratio for the mods done to a car. A lid and catback does not require a tune, swapping headers doesn't necessarily but you will run rich and see full benefits with a tune. If longtubes are installed get the tune if you haven't already.
    Do you want to go faster in a straight line or in the corners?

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

What he said.. if you do headers, always good to go ahead and go with spark plugs and wires, after you get manifolds off. Then a frost tune will wake it up and the drivability will still be great if not better. More info on your part so we know what your lookin towards. m6 or a4? Thank you for serving!

black
    1999 camaro SS

I've already said this in at least 3 other threads....

suspension, drivetrain, engine

if you build each in that order you will be rock solid.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

He already said that he has a set of pacesetters. If thats the case, get a lid and ported throttle body and get it tuned. You have an 02 so your car has the LS6 intake on it.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post

If he just wants a mild bolt on car, I wouldnt bother with the drivetrain/suspension. Maybe some sub frames and some gears, but thats about it. If you wanna dig into the motor (heads/cam/stroker/supercharger) then you will def want to build your car to handle the power.

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    If he just wants a mild bolt on car, I wouldnt bother with the drivetrain/suspension. Maybe some sub frames and some gears, but thats about it. If you wanna dig into the motor (heads/cam/stroker/supercharger) then you will def want to build your car to handle the power.
    I agree in this instance, SFC's (subframe connectors), gears and rear girdle and Underdrive pulley. Some can probably do CAM and Heads over a weekend but I know I couldn't.

Black
    2001 Formula

I am really surprised this hasn't been asked or I missed it. Is it a automatic (a4)
    Or a manual ( m6)? If manual then yes go exhaust. If auto then get a stall. A stall would require a shop. I don't like messing with the transmission but it will be the most noticeable
    Mod until you get serious with the engine.
    2001 Formula ported and polished throttle body, Lid, Longtube headers, texas speed true dual, cam is the texas speed 228r 228/228 588. lift 112 lsa, tuned by Frost

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

m6 or a4 was previously asked. I think if m6 he needs pro 5.0 with lous short stick. Stock shifter can actually damage you tranny by over traveling by shifting too hard.

black
    1999 camaro SS

what I mean when I say "suspension, drivtrain,motor" is simply do them in that order... if the only suspension mod you ever plan to do is SFC's then that should be your first mod to your car. if you don't plan on nodding the drivetrain then skip it.

also, what's the point of doing anything to your motor if your driving around on stock suspension that can barely handle the stock power?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Most of my ideas have been stated, if you have an M6 get an LS7 Clutch kit. There are other clutches like SPEC and such, but I would go that hard core unless I was heavy into track racing.

KySpeed had a great deal on them.

If you have an A4, get a good stall.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

As mentioned: Sub-frame connectors. Every car (f-body) should have them if you ever push that pedal to the floor.

I would recommend UMI 3 point bolt-ins. Can easily be done in the driveway and welded in later if you want.

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

Before you go crazy, what state is the car registered in? If it has CA plates, and you have to deal with the smog you'll have to rething your plan. The LT headers won't fly. If you registered it back home then you're good to go.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I met a guy who had his mustang registered to a P.O box somewhere in lake county, which is one of the few counties in northern ca that does not do smog checks for any year. I didn't get a chance to ask him how you go about that but I would love if someone could explain how to do it

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

I met a guy who had his mustang registered to a P.O box somewhere in lake county, which is one of the few counties in northern ca that does not do smog checks for any year. I didn't get a chance to ask him how you go about that but I would love if someone could explain how to do it
    I'd love to hear more. I don't know if a PO box is doable, I've heard that using a mailboxes plus type place would be better. They have a legit street address and will forward your mail for you.

But, Lake County does smog checks last I heard.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

he may not want to spend the extra money on suspension and what not, he may just want a little more ponies and thats not gonna cause him to need to spend gobs of money on suspension and drivetrain mods. Majority of people dont go that order unless they are serious about draggin the car.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I wouldnt do it. That sounds like a federal offense if broken. If for some reason you get pulled over/have to show your license, it would suck if the car your driving isnt registered in yor residence. Throws up a red flag.

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

I wouldnt do it. That sounds like a federal offense if broken. If for some reason you get pulled over/have to show your license, it would suck if the car your driving isnt registered in yor residence. Throws up a red flag.
    People own houses and property all over the place, they only have one residence. If it is illegal, can you cite relevant PC code?

Lets say I'm a rich guy with a house in Denver because I like skiing, and a house in California because I like to go to Lake Havasu.

Which is my Residence? Where should I register my cars? If I'm flying back and forth, I'd have a couple of cars in Colorado and a couple of cars in California.

When I was in college, I was bouncing around back and forth between both of my parent's houses and an apartment. Everything was registered in different places as was my license. How often do people move without updating their license? or registration? When I was ticketed and my license didn't match my registration, the officer just asked me where to send the ticket.
    Last edited by RossRinSD; 08-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
    They're running a special on the 12 bolt.

I would go with the 12 bolt or dana over the 9"
    Quote Originally Posted by RossRinSD View Post
    People own houses and property all over the place, they only have one residence. If it is illegal, can you cite relevant PC code?

Lets say I'm a rich guy with a house in Denver because I like skiing, and a house in California because I like to go to Lake Havasu.

Which is my Residence? Where should I register my cars? If I'm flying back and forth, I'd have a couple of cars in Colorado and a couple of cars in California.

When I was in college, I was bouncing around back and forth between both of my parent's houses and an apartment. Everything was registered in different places as was my license. How often do people move without updating their license? or registration? When I was ticketed and my license didn't match my registration, the officer just asked me where to send the ticket.
    that's exactly right. all I would have to say to a cop is I live in the bay area but I have rental property in lake county and that's where the car is kept most of the time.

I also know someone who moved from Nevada to California and registered his car under his parents name and adress who still live in Nevada so he wouldn't have to smog it.

the only way that I can think of doing the first idea is driving to lake county and getting a PO box then going to the DMV and changing the adress for the car.. but lake county is like a 2-3 hour drive...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information