Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Saikou Michi Catch Cans

Just thought I'd share my new catch can and PCV set up. Saikou Michi has great customer service and a great product. The only complaint I have with them is the paint on the cans was not very sturdy. It scratched and flaked off very easily. So be careful when you go to install yours. I also re-did the PCV holder for the PCV valve 'cuase mine was falling apart.

I got the idea from this link:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=pcv+housing

I didn't get a new PCV valve like he did and I found a better hose to use. I used a 7/8" I.D. garbage disposal rubber hose. It fit much tighter than the 1" I.D. rubber hose.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Just the one bolt in the head? No washer? Looks good. I went the easy route and stayed with a single/installed LS6 valley cover.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

For the PCV use 3/4" oil fuel line hose, and you won't need the hose clamps.
    On the inlet I used a brass 3/8" barbed to 5/8"NPT fitting with the threads coated with liquid electrical tape. Then I pushed it into a 2" piece of 3/4" hose, followed by the PCV valve pushed into the other side. The PVC valve fits in the hose tight enough that a hose clamp isn't needed.

I used the hose clamps as a safety measure. It was tight enough that I could have gone without it but I didn't want to take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just the one bolt in the head? No washer? Looks good. I went the easy route and stayed with a single/installed LS6 valley cover.
    Yeah, only the one bolt. Where I had to put it and the angle of the bracket it only lined up with one hole. If I didn't have the A/C I would have had more options for mounting. The head of the bolt was so large I didn't bother with a washer. Thanks, for the compliments.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think it looks kind of rediculous imo. The old style AMW cans work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I think it looks kind of rediculous imo. The old style AMW cans work fine.
    How is one brand of catch can more ridiculous than another?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by PewterTransAm View Post
    How is one brand of catch can more ridiculous than another?
    The second can isn't needed, and gets in the way.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I kinda agree, the second can seems un-necessary. To each thier own. Im sure my catch can has almost the same bracket. I had to enlarge the slot slightly to get the second bolt in. Its supposed to have two, and is possible.

The dual can setup looks a bit strange. Can't imagine catching enough oil to need that much capacity.
    I was very happy with Kentucky Speed's cans when he had the group purchase. I went with bare aluminum, seemed logical with an all aluminum engine, but I believe the colors were anodized, which is a bit more durable and would resist scratches and flaking.

I did dual cans 'cause after a lot of reading people who have dual cans and the LS1 PCV system get oil in the fresh air source can after road racing and such. Since I didn't want to go through the trouble of pulling my intake back off and converting to the LS6 PCV system I decided to just do dual cans and not ever have to worry about the oil in my intake again. There's nothing wrong with taking extra precautions.

Interesting. I still run the LS1 valley pan on both of our 4th gens. I haven't had any oil problems since I installed the single can setups on both cars. I've never had any oil come through the fresh air hose on the top portion of the valve cover Some people say they just cap the ends off and not even use that short hose. I just haven't found it necessary on ours.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ok he did the dual catch can because of auto X and or road racing...for those apps 2 is needed..due to oily vapor being in the clean side (the driver side) ..this is completely necessary for the app...so i give you a HUGE

BRAVO ! you picked a real catch can that is 100% functional..and you did you right for any app..just in case you start to road race or auto X .....

for most people that don't road race etc..2 is not needed.
    Last edited by shady milkman; 08-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Shady, im sorry I didnt call you this weekend. If you hav time and want to drive over to my barn I can flash your PCM. My TA is on 4 jack stands getting ready for the track this Wednesday... So Im kinda booked with my own car and stuff around the house. But if you want to drive over, I will surely flash your PCM really quick and get you going with your new tune. Again, sorry I didnt make it around to getting at your car this weekend.

Thread Jack, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ok he did the dual catch can because of auto X and or road racing...for those apps 2 is needed..due to oily vapor being in the clean side (the driver side) ..this is completely necessary for the app...so i give you a HUGE

BRAVO ! you picked a real catch can that is 100% functional..and you did you right for any app..just in case you start to road race or auto X .....

for most people that don't road race etc..2 is not needed.
    Exactly, thank you.

Electron Blue
    2003 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The dual can setup looks a bit strange. Can't imagine catching enough oil to need that much capacity.
    I was very happy with Kentucky Speed's cans when he had the group purchase. I went with bare aluminum, seemed logical with an all aluminum engine, but I believe the colors were anodized, which is a bit more durable and would resist scratches and flaking.
    If you do any HPDE or road racing, you WILL need the second can. I purchased the first OC3 for an LSx from Saikou Michi to cure clean side carry over oil contamination during HPDE sessions. 5 years later daily driving and HPDE's and haven't had the problem since. SM cans are one of the very few on the market that are designed correctly and really work.

Aaron

2003 EB Corvette Z06
    The Normal Stuff.......
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06 View Post
    If you do any HPDE or road racing, you WILL need the second can. I purchased the first OC3 for an LSx from Saikou Michi to cure clean side carry over oil contamination during HPDE sessions. 5 years later daily driving and HPDE's and haven't had the problem since. SM cans are one of the very few on the market that are designed correctly and really work.

good to see you here

Electron Blue
    2003 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    good to see you here
    Thanks shady.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

How is the fresh air getting to the engine? You've got fresh air going to the can and then to the valve cover - so the one can is fresh air only and the other can is the dirty side?

Electron Blue
    2003 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    How is the fresh air getting to the engine? You've got fresh air going to the can and then to the valve cover - so the one can is fresh air only and the other can is the dirty side?
    The clean side is the same, but with a catch can inline like the dirty side. One aspect of PCV systems that many don't realize is the clean side will reverse flow under high blow by conditions.

Pressure will follow the path of least resistance and a flow director does not exist in the clean side path to prevent reverse flow. The clean side can catches oil from clean side reversion that would normally be routed into the intake plenum. Many blame just the dirty side for carry over oil contamination, but the clean side will contaminate the intake just like the dirty side.

Thread Information