Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Thumbs up need a quieter exaust

Hey, I've been reading a lot of posts on exaust systems. And although very infomativ, my setup is a little different and i hope u guys could help. i have a 408 stroker ls based motor. Pace Setter ceramic 1 3/4 in long tube headers. 3" X-pipe with very loud DYNOMAX bullet mufflers. very nice flow, with a great aggresive sound. BUT, i have annoyed the neighborhood long enough with very loud dry cranks and also loud at idle. i hope to go with a MORE QUIET CLEAN DEEP SOUND.with the addition of elec cutouts for when i want to make a scene. i hope to keep my headers and just want a nice clean sound that will not restrict my exaust yet keep the idle sound at a minimum. any feedback will be helpful. THANKS

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I don't have personal experience, but I believe Corsa catbacks are supposed to be good flowing with a nice lower decibel sound...

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

personal or similar experiences would be a plus with helping my purchase. but definately worth a look. thanks.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quiet is going to be more restrictive, but that's where the dual cut-outs come into play!
    Go with dual electric cut-outs after the headers, then into a Magnaflow catback. If that still to loud add a Magnaflow bullet muffler in the I-pipe.
    Last edited by Blue28; 04-26-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Red
    2001 ws6

with a magnaflow catback you should be fine. its probably the quietest out there. talk to mr lous about it, he swears by magnaflow

victory red
    2007 zo6

you all know newer corvettes have the dual type muffers... quiet tii 3,000 rpm's ,then they open up, all 4 tips,factory stock... you can pull the fuse and will be open all the time, and pick up 6 or so, more horsepower.. straight through.,, do get a little drone in 5th/6th gears, i dont mind.. they sell a remote to turn them off and on,-fun for the neighbors !! rkvette

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

i have a borla cat back and it is way too loud too. Every time i take the car out it doesnt take long for the cops to roll by the house. lol

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

CAT's removed I assume?

Adding those back into it will keep the nasty rasp down, but also restrict the flow. But with the cutouts I imagine flow restriction isn't a concern.

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

yea, i also thought of just adding the CATs back. but im not sure how it will sound. kinda still want 2 keep a deep smooth tone. would that mellow it down a little and keep the sound of performance. or will it just "muffle" it all out. i understand I'm looking at a performance loss. how will the CATs compare to just replacing the muffler. pro/con if any. or would it even be practical other than to pass emissions.

red
    99 camaro

Why not keep the duals and just put magnaflow mufflers in place of the bullet mufflers? My hooker catback with lt's and tsp oryp is still verry quiet cruising, almost too quiet...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

magnaflow

Red
    2001 ws6

if you decide to take the x-pipe off let me know, im interested

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

i doubt i will change the whole exaust. was hoping to just replace the mufflers. and i had magnaflo in mind and it seemsthat is what everyone says sounds good without the raspy sound of bullets. hard to chose without hearing it. but I'm hoping they aare the deep smooth tone I'm looking for. are there many types of magnaflo mufflers to chose from? and if so. what type if i only want to order the mufflers and not the whole exaust system.what are the difference in sound of each if so.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have 3in exhaust from the manifold back, no cats, electric cut off behind the ORY and a magnaflow muffler, my car is extremely quiet until i give it gas.. when im cruising you can barely hear the exhaust but when i nail it everyone can hear it

red
    99 camaro

^^^ same with hooker muffler, and its maybe a lil louder than the magnaflows because of the chamber of the hooker. My other car had mack mids and their oryp with a flowmaster crossflow muff in stock location. I changed it to a dynomax direct fit muffler and the hooker I have now seems to be somewhere between them.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

im thinking about trying something like this, little too much rasp with the magnaflow i have, i would probably weld this into the cat-back..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-59959/
    2000 Z28 M6 125,XXX: SLP lid, K&N, 10.4mm Taylor plug wires, Frost Tune, P&P TB, NGK Iridium plugs, Magnaflow Cat back, BMR SFC's and tower brace, TSP LT's and ORY, LS6 intake, MAC Girdle, UMI LCA's and Panhard, LS7 Clutch Kit, so far..

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Why not keep the duals and just put magnaflow mufflers in place of the bullet mufflers? My hooker catback with lt's and tsp oryp is still verry quiet cruising, almost too quiet...
    Exactly what he said. Thats what I would do, and it'll save you some $$$

red
    01 camaro ss

My one friend has a 408 GTO with magnaflow system on it. Dosent sound bad at all but im not a big magnaflow fan. Mr. lous is the man to talk to about that. Good luck man!!

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 01ssSLP View Post
    My one friend has a 408 GTO with magnaflow system on it. Dosent sound bad at all but im not a big magnaflow fan. Mr. lous is the man to talk to about that. Good luck man!!
    Just curious. but y not so fond of magnaflo? And wat is your preferance.

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    im thinking about trying something like this, little too much rasp with the magnaflow i have, i would probably weld this into the cat-back..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-59959/
    How will that make it sound? I know it will be quieter. But will it keep its deep tone. This is kinda my 1st experience with performance mufflers on a LS motor. Or almost any motor at all. I just want a smooth flow that will humm at 25 to 3500.

Thread Information