Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Need help understanding MAF, LT's, cats and ORY set-up please

Hello all,

I have an '02 SS, currently running an SLP Dual Dual set-up from the factory. I want to add LT headers and a 3" ORY. Unfortunately I have to have the cat's installed to pass emissions here in MD. If I installed the LT's and cats and Y pipe would I need to cut the headers or Y pipe to make everything fit? And if I cut the headers anywhere would that effect performance? Ive seen advertisements for Y pipes with cat's built in. Does anyone have any input on these? Any help is greatly appreciated, my exhaust is going to be my second mod, but only after the addition of an SLP Cold AIr kit. Also can anyone explain the benefit of changing the MAF, or when should this be done. I've read a little bit and from what I gather, as long as I don't exceed about 450hp, my stock MAF should be fine, is this true? Thanks a lot.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You can go either way, Buy high flow cats and have an exhaust shop weld them in or Pick up a "kit". You can find lt's and a catted y. Check out one of our sponsers for prices and all that goodstuff. If your worried about local emissions laws make sure you check them out and double check you can have lt's. I know in cali and some other states there just not allowed period.
    As far as your maf, I wouldnt worry about that holding you back until you get into the 500hp area. There have been issues on stock motors and maf's and tb's that will cause them too acutaly lean out your car and make it run like poo. To get the most out of your set-up a tune might be in your future also.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Thanks for the info. I will definitely get a tune after the mods, but I'm debating on buying a Predator or paying a shop to tune it. From other post I'm gathering that they will cost about the same. I don't intend on modifying the car futher than exhaust and slight intake mods and another thermostat. I still need it to be an everyday driver for the next few years until I get out of school, now after that, I'll make people when I stuff an LS7 or by then an even greater motor into the car. But as for now, just a little intake modification, exhaust and a tune and I'm good.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would reccomend paying a shop. Check around but i know localy if you get your car tunned then too get it re-tunned "head/cam" etc. They will only charge you dyno time.
    Handhelds are somewhat "limiting" on what they can do
    J

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I would reccomend paying a shop. Check around but i know localy if you get your car tunned then too get it re-tunned "head/cam" etc. They will only charge you dyno time.
    Handhelds are somewhat "limiting" on what they can do
    J
    I was considering paying for a tune until I recently acquired some new info. My state MD doesn't sniff test vehicles after '96. Now I can get rid of the cats, but I have to get the computer to not throw the codes. What I need to know is, will a tune solve this problem or do I need to get those modules that trick the computer into thinking they are there. Also when I get rid of the cats, do I eliminate the o2 sensors? And does eliminating the cats or o2 sensors hurt the vehicle in any way?

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

I forgot the main point, I don't know if a shop will tune the car to override the cats, since they won't even pass you for tint.

Pewter
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

The car I'm most likely buying (check under my name) has an offroad y pipe and LS1 edit software; it does not throw codes, thus it will pass emissions. This work was done at F-Body Central in Glen Burnie, MD. I'd try there.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
    The car I'm most likely buying (check under my name) has an offroad y pipe and LS1 edit software; it does not throw codes, thus it will pass emissions. This work was done at F-Body Central in Glen Burnie, MD. I'd try there.
    Thanks a lot. Do you know if F Body Central, tuned the car as well? And do you have their number and address?

Thread Information