Attending F-Body Expert Herloss's Avatar
    Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Hollywood....I WISH.

Triple White Convertible
    1997 WS6 'Vert Trans Am

Need Help. Straight Pipes exhaust and I'm hoping I didn't mess up

I have a 1997 Trans Am. The stock muffler was beginning to rust away and I wanted my car LOUD anyway so I took it to the local exhaust shop and said put straight pipes (remove the muffler) on it.

So, they whack off (hey- Not what YOU are thinking) the pipe just at the entrance to the muffler and took off the muffler and the two pipes that ran out each side. So, visually, imagine the pipe coming over the axle and then curving where it would then have ran into the muffler. Here is what the exhaust morons did:

They then elbowed (bout 90 degree bend) back toward the front of the car and then made a "cross-pipe" - kind of like a staple.... Where the exhaust pipe is connected into it and runs to each side and out to the tips. Well, the sound -TO ME- is TOTALLY AWESOME. Loud. Mean. WHAT I WANTED.

What concerns me is that I may have created some major restriction by the way they turned that pipe looping back toward the front of the car and them making a " T " to the left and right sides for the tips. IF I KNEW HOW TO UPLOAD PICS IN THIS, I WOULD...

Do you guys think I did make a mistake -from a power - robbing standpoint? Did I allow them to make this wrong? Better yet, is there and aftermarket "setup" that I can buy that is MUFFLER AND RESONATOR-Less and is ONLY straight pipes? I have my own tips and don't need any others.

If ya'll cannot understand what I'm talking about let me know. I'll do it and answer questions right away. But I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!

THANKS!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I would not be happy with that work either. What they should have done is split the pipe into two pipes after it comes over the axle, basically a Y-pipe in the opposite direction.

I think your best bet is to just get a setup like an SLP Loudmouth exhaust. I'm assuming you have stock manifolds. The Loudmouth is a straight through system, it only has a resonator (no restriction) to help cut down on the raspiness. The system sounds great on stock manifolds, and its more than loud enough for most people. So if you split the exhaust over the axle, and then run one bullet muffler per side (or one before the exhaust goes over the axle, or none at all if you want) I think it will give you the sound and performance you are looking for.

Bring this pic to a good exhaust shop and see what they can do for you

Attending F-Body Expert Herloss's Avatar
    Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Hollywood....I WISH.

Triple White Convertible
    1997 WS6 'Vert Trans Am

Thanks for the reply Wesman. See, the way it looks isn't what bothers me..... It's worrying me that this is too constricting (do you think so??) and causing me a reduction in power AND potential damage to my motor.

Look at how the pipe (in my pictures) comes over the axle and then turns BACK to the front at a 90 degree bend - then "dead ends" into the other pipe which serves as a "horseshoe" and tailpipes............. Do you think that the bend along with the dead end into the other pipe is causing me problems?

I would just love to have someone make the correct Y pipe (after axle) to then branch out to the tips - but I KNOW it would cost me a FORTUNE if they even can. And the SLP package is what I could use - but I don't want the resonator at all and all I DO want is the Y pipe...... Know of any way I can just buy that Y pipe???

Thanks and I could REALLY use your all's help.

HERLOSS
    1997 Triple White Trans Am WS6 Convertible.....32K ORIGINAL MILES.

1989 Corvette....79K ORIGINAL MILES. Red, Targa Top, Straight Induction,

If it isn't a Trans Am, it isn't gonna get her wet.
    The Bandit started me, Knight Rider totally made me, I AM a Trans Am driver.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Herloss View Post
    Thanks for the reply Wesman. See, the way it looks isn't what bothers me..... It's worrying me that this is too constricting (do you think so??) and causing me a reduction in power AND potential damage to my motor.
    It isn't going to damage your motor, don't worry about that. The only way the exhaust could damage the motor is if it was completely restricted, like a plugged up cat or muffler. Your setup will just cost you in power and efficiency, it won't damage the motor though.

Look at how the pipe (in my pictures) comes over the axle and then turns BACK to the front at a 90 degree bend - then "dead ends" into the other pipe which serves as a "horseshoe" and tailpipes............. Do you think that the bend along with the dead end into the other pipe is causing me problems?
    As stated, it won't cause you any "problems" per say. Its just cutting down on efficiency and power, and it probably doesn't sound all that great.

I would just love to have someone make the correct Y pipe (after axle) to then branch out to the tips - but I KNOW it would cost me a FORTUNE if they even can. And the SLP package is what I could use - but I don't want the resonator at all and all I DO want is the Y pipe...... Know of any way I can just buy that Y pipe???
    Honestly I don't.

Just bring the picture of the SLP tailpipes to a reputable exhaust shop, they should be able to duplicate that setup without much trouble at all. It really isn't all that complicated, you just need to turn the single pipe into dual pipes with an adapter, and then run the tips out the back. I can't see it costing more than about $200-$250.

Thread Information