sunset orange
    1998 Chevy camaro z28

need help installing headers

Hi i have a 98 ls1 trying to put headers on but im have a hard time puting back the motor mount.can someone tell me step by step how to install headers

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think there is a sticky on this install.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Headers aren't bad to do on our cars. You'll want to start by popping the pins on the cowl seal so you don't shred your hands on them. Remove the ignition wires from the plugs and pull the coil packs off the top of the rocker cover -- at least on the passenger side, as this will give you more room to work. Remove the stand pipes for the secondary air system by unbolting them from the manifolds on each side. With a '98, you'll also have the EGR to play with and remove -- not sure on the details though. Also, you will want to remove the spark plugs so you do not break them off. Support the car and drop your mid-pipe so you can them remove the factory Y-pipe. You'll have to disconnect the wire harness for the front and rear O2 senders. On our car, I left the cats attached to the manifolds and dropped them out as a unit. It's up to you on this one. Moving back up top, you'll have to remove the oil dipstick -- I think it is retained by a 15 mm bolt and then you have to pop it up out of the pan. I used a flat blade screwdriver from under the car and it came right out. It is good to have a helper for when you drop the manifolds and install the headers. Be careful removing the manifolds and if the bolts feel like they tighten as you try to unscrew them, try rocking them back in and then out a few times. If you snap a bolt, you'll be pulling the heads to fix it. Once the manifolds are dropped down out of the car, you are ready to begin the header install.

I had to remove my oil filter and also ended up touching my K-member flange with a grinder to gain some additional clearance for the driver side header. Other than that, the headers slide right up into place quite easily. I recommend the stock GM exhaust gasket in lieu of any aftermarket gasket. Some guys have re-used their stock gaskets, I just went to the GM garage and bought a set. With the gaskets in place, start bolting the headers on but leave the bolts a bit loose until you have them all in on one side. This will allow some movement to get things to line up. It's impossible to get a torque wrench on all of the bolts, so get a good feel for the required torque and tighten the ones you can't get at by feel. Once the headers are in, take a good look at the wire runs along the passenger side for the starter and O2 sender to make sure there is sufficient clearance. You can then start installing everything you removed in reverse order. I dropped on a set of DEI plug wire sleeves for some added protection and used Stage 8 locking fasteners to secure the headers. A dab of dielectric grease in the plug boots is also a good idea.

That's the nuts and bolts of the install. It is time consuming but not difficult to do. If you have any questions, just ask.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forgot to mention, a set of Bosch P/N 13111 O2 senders for the front are highly recommended. They have a nice long harness so you will not need to run extensions or splice in additional wire to reach.

sunset orange
    1998 Chevy camaro z28

Thanks it was a nightmare

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigTen-Nano View Post
    Thanks it was a nightmare

What was the issue?

Thread Information