Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Need exhaust advice

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I need some advice on some exhaust options. I have a 2000 trans am and I have been debating getting a new exhaust for some time and wile I was changing my oil I noticed a few rust holes in my mid pipe so now is the time. My first instinct was to completely scrap the stock exshaust, and put long pipe headers and 3" dual pipes on it but I have run into several problems with that plan.

First, headers are expensive and I'm told I'll need to replace the gaskets on them every few years and that they are generally a pain, since my car is just a daily driver they seem like more trouble than they are worth. If I don't go with headers then I am stuck with the stock exhaust manifolds which only have a 2.25" (I think) outlet so pipes that are any bigger would do me little good.

Second problem is ground clearance, I live in the country so ground clearance is important and my car just wasn't designed for dual exhaust. Even the stock 2.25" y pipe is flattened in certain places so just having "normal" 2.25 pipes runnning down the car would reduce my clearance let alone a larger diameter. The transverse muffler is also an issue but I think I could get around that with single chanber or maybe bullet mufflers.

Lastly there's backpressure, all engines are designed to run with at least some backpressure and if I were to find a way to get a good dual pipe system on there I am concerned that it would drop the backpressure too much and reduce performance or damage my engine.

Do you guys have any suggestions for tackling these problems?

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

duals can be accomplished.
    look at this thread

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...=111059&page=2

post #22 . Mr. Lous has a very nice setup there.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Not sure how bad ground clearance is for you but you could do some pacesetter headers theyre about the cheapest while still good quality and then go to a 3 inch exhaust all the way back. You mentioned header gaskets going bad...I've had headers on two of my cars for almost 2 years and have never had problems with the gaskets the people I usually hear complaining are using crappy paper gaskets and or cheap bolts. You dont want back pressure in your exhaust. What you want is the highest velocity possible with exhaust gases going through the pipe. If the pipe is too large then there will not be enough velocity and performance suffers. Go too small and there will be too much back pressure the engine may feel slightly more torquey but will not have power up top. The perfect exhaust in theory has almost no back pressure and max flow of gases in the pipe. The muffler decision is up to you listen on youtube... I personally like slp loudmouth but some say its tool loud.
    Dan-

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

and also for sounds

ls1sounds.com

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

check out texas speed's headers (use gm gaskets and you shouldnt have a problem) and true dual setup. . . it dumps before the axle tho, which imo looks somewhat odd when the ta bumper doesn't have tips in the bumper cutouts

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

I've got the Texas speed headers and love them. Not too badly priced either.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Just get any quality headers. if your worried about duals being low just run the y pipe w/ the new headers and a cat back from magnaflow, slp, stainless works, ect.... depends on the sound you want
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Here you go check these threads out and you can see what works for you.
    Best headers, best catback, soundclips etc
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69090
    True Dual exhaust read me. pics/and share your information
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23706

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Header gaskets aren't a problem on the LS1s. Simply put, GMs multy layer steel (mls) gaskets don't fail. Backpressure thing isn't true. Headers with no cats and an open exhaust will feel different tho. Peak torque and horsepower move higher up on the tach.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

If the peak moves further up the bandwith will I lose low end torque? Those 3" duals look like a tight fit. What kind of sound/performance difference will there be if I go with 2.5" instead? Not sure about leaving the cats off. I'm not a tree hugger but I would like to minimize my pollution output if possible and if I ever move to a state that does emission checking I'll have to retrofit my exhaust.

Silver
    2002 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    I've got the Texas speed headers and love them. Not too badly priced either.
    How loud are those? Is there something similar?

Thread Information