red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My Trans Am vs WS6

Hey Guys,

I have a 98 trans am with a fiber glass ram air hood and i just bought an SLP lid and K&N filter. i was told that this should accomplish the same thing as a ws6 lid only better, sooo i was wondering if there is a difference between the front intake set up of a regular trans am and a ws6 other than the lid.. after looking at the part i just don't see how the opening will be any bigger, sooooooo i wanted to make sure everything was the same or if i would have to buy the front intake set of from a ws6

Sorry i know its a simple question but im new to the ls1 seen and i wanna just make sure i get my basic bolt-ons right.

Thanks guys!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Im pretty sure they are exactly the same. The ws6 is pretty much a hood and stiffer suspension

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thats what i thought but i just wasnt sure.. Thanks for the response! Im just stacking parts in my room now.. im just afraid to start investing into headers because of how much it will cost me!

white
    2000 Z28

non ram air t/a's and camaro's dont get their air from the nose of the car. it comes from under the car. really it is just the left over air from the radiator in stock form. ram air t/a's get air from the nose through the hood and a taller air box. the air box has a taller base that allows for more air to enter via the slit in front of the air box. lids could have been upgraded from the factory but stockers had baffles in them that played with air flow to keep it quiet but flow less into the engine.

ram air camaros have a much higher intake on the hood but their air box is the same as the non ram air cars. it works but i would expect the ram air hood from the t/a to be a lot more effective with its positioning so close to the nose of the car.

all in all a taller air box base and ram air hood are the only intake differences between the ram air and non ram air t/a's

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

So since i got a working ram air hood and a slp lid w/ K&N filter i should be getting the same hp out of it as a ws6? will the lid make the intake the same height since the air boxes are the same?

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Yup you should be right there even though its not that much of a difference in the first place

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

after the lid, exhaust, wheels, and little stuff, i should be back like 3k.. its amazing how fast you can broke just making these cars fast... lol now i need a good license plate.. lol how about 8 u r h n d a or I S M O K E U =)

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    So since i got a working ram air hood and a slp lid w/ K&N filter i should be getting the same hp out of it as a ws6? will the lid make the intake the same height since the air boxes are the same?
    lid doesnt change the base height. the bottom half of the air box is taller not the lid. ill try to find a pic after dinner. but hp wise it should be similar, but the ratings on these cars were a low to begin with. knowing that i would still expect the taller box and hood to both be the reason why the ws6 is rated higher.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

oh that really sucks that it doesnt increase the height =( i sure hope i will be getting the same power as a ws6 otherwise ill have to find me an air box from a ws6 =/

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah i see the difference now... now i want the different lid

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Come on guys an LS1 is an LS1 the WS6/SS are not any faster nor do they make any more HP over the base Z28/Formula/Trans Am.

I'm taking this from one of my post on Tech
    "The Ram Air hoods are NOT sealed to the Airbox and they have baffles inside to deflect water and keep it out of the engine. These 2 things make the hoods marginal at best. Do they help supply cool fresh air ? Yes, is there a ramming effect ? No.
    But as has been stated on here and many other boards before if the Hoods were sealed to the airbox and the baffles removed you would still only gain about 3HP at 100+ mph."
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Come on guys an LS1 is an LS1 the WS6/SS are not any faster nor do they make any more HP over the base Z28/Formula/Trans Am.

"The Ram Air hoods are NOT sealed to the Airbox and they have baffles inside to deflect water and keep it out of the engine. These 2 things make the hoods marginal at best. Do they help supply cool fresh air ? Yes, is there a ramming effect ? No.
    But as has been stated on here and many other boards before if the Hoods were sealed to the airbox and the baffles removed you would still only gain about 3HP at 100+ mph."
    i guess you didnt read my post that clearly ends with ws6 is rated higher

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

now the trouble is locating someone who is willing to get rid of their ws6 lower air box lid to me for a reasonable price... since the hood isnt stock i dont know if a volant set up would fit but im tempted to try it out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    i guess you didnt read my post that clearly ends with ws6 is rated higher
    I did and I just wanted to reiterate that the GM ratings for these cars are BS.
    All LS1's make approx 345-350 HP no matter what car they were installed in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

now the trouble is locating someone who is willing to get rid of their ws6 lower air box lid to me for a reasonable price... since the hood isnt stock i dont know if a volant set up would fit but im tempted to try it out.
    Spend the money somewhere else as the taller airbox isn't going to gain you much except for a lighter wallet.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

9t8... sooo what do you think the difference between my stock air lid compared with a ram air lid if i have the same slp lid and a functional ram air hood?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post

+1. Jeez guys it's 2010. No advatage to the WS6.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

9t8... sooo what do you think the difference between my stock air lid compared with a ram air lid if i have the same slp lid and a functional ram air hood?
    None my stock formula without any ram air was running the same if not better times then WS6's or Firehawk's.

A lid is a lid and the Airbox doesn't make much difference as WS6 cars are the only ones to get the taller box and their truly not any faster.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah i guess it couldnt be a noticeable difference considering the only difference is about a 1 inch inlet in the front of the ram air package

Thread Information