Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Multiple Starters..grinding noise

I have 99 SS 114k miles a4, had a shop replace my starter a month ago as it was 35 below zero as it wouldnt turn over at all. Earlier this week I had my car in the shop for unrelated work, went to back it off the lift and there was a grinding noise and the car wouldnt start....2nd starter installed this week. The car turned right over yesterday, tried to start it today same dam grinding noise...im stumped. Has anyone had any of the same issues. Thanks in advance for your help guys!
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would inspect the starter mount and make sure the bolts are tight. If that checks out, pull the inspection cover and look at your flywheel to see if anything is amiss.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Grinding, probably = binding. Check out what Jeff said.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Thanks for the info. I have also had an issue with losing coolant internally via head gasket, or intake. My mechanic said that if the coolant is leaking on the starter or the mounting flange it can kill the solenoid. Any truth to this?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is no coolant running through the intake on LS engines. If it is leaking into a cylinder, you will have white smoke and the sweet smell of antifreeze in the exhaust, unless it is a real small leak. Electrical stuff generally does not like excessive moisture. It is easy to check and see if the starter is wet.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Hey pajeff, prior to all this starter stuff going on I did have white smoke coming from the exhaust. I am losing coolant internally, but no milky oil no leaks I can see on my own. The radiator cap was changed, not leaking from any hoses. I had a misfire in ctlylinder 7, pulled the plug looked normal. Im scheduled for plugs and wires but I need to get the starter, and the smoke issue addressed or im going to have no choice but to get rid of it as hard as that would be.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

If it is getting flooded with coolant it *may* kill the solenoid, but what you are saying is grinding, not a no crank.

I'd say check the mounting also.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Right, it almost sounds like the starter is just turning but not engaging as the motor makes no attempt to turn over.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That sounds like a solenoid or voltage issue -- not enough "umph" to turn things. Since the starter was already changed, might not be a bad idea to inspect their work -- see if the cables are bolted tight and such. You can easily pressure test the cooling system to see if it is leaking internally. Also, when you pull plugs, any cylinder that is burning coolant will have a much cleaner appearing plug with little to no carbon buildup at all.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I just had to troubleshoot one at work the techs couldn't figure out. Car came in for a no-start, we put a starter on it and fixed the battery cable ends, sent him on his way. Towed in 2 days later, no crank again.

I talked to the first tech, he said the original starter seemed to have a bad one-way clutch. So, they warrentied the starter for the no-crank, and the car went away. 2 days later again towed in for no-crank. Battery checks good every time. After doing some voltage drop testing and not really finding anything, even trying to jump the starter directly at the starter by shorting the high current wires, it still would not crank. Took the starter out, it worked fine with a jump pack. So, back in it went, I did some more looking and cleaned the battery ground wire connection at the block and everything was golden. There were no codes in the BCM for theft, the PCM showed a crank request with the key in crank position, all other electrical things worked normally, I was getting a crank signal at the smaller purple wire, the relay was good. I knew it was a basic connection issue, but where. These things will drive you crazy until you find that 5 minute fix.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Thank you guys for all of your input, I really appreciate it. I am going to see what I can do on my own here over the weekend. I will clean the battery terminals, and check connections. I cant test for my coolant leak if I cant start the dam car...lol.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Im still trying to diagnose the issue. I will keep you updated.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I just had to troubleshoot one at work the techs couldn't figure out. Car came in for a no-start, we put a starter on it and fixed the battery cable ends, sent him on his way. Towed in 2 days later, no crank again.

I talked to the first tech, he said the original starter seemed to have a bad one-way clutch. So, they warrentied the starter for the no-crank, and the car went away. 2 days later again towed in for no-crank. Battery checks good every time. After doing some voltage drop testing and not really finding anything, even trying to jump the starter directly at the starter by shorting the high current wires, it still would not crank. Took the starter out, it worked fine with a jump pack. So, back in it went, I did some more looking and cleaned the battery ground wire connection at the block and everything was golden. There were no codes in the BCM for theft, the PCM showed a crank request with the key in crank position, all other electrical things worked normally, I was getting a crank signal at the smaller purple wire, the relay was good. I knew it was a basic connection issue, but where. These things will drive you crazy until you find that 5 minute fix.
    I've seen bad grounds do some funky things.....I've also seen corrosion inside the battery ground wire up inside the insulator. From the outside the wire looks fine but if you peel a little bit of insulation back it'd be corroded.

To the OP:
    Does the starter "bog" down like there's not enough juice or is it actually grinding like the armature isn't extending all the way or something? You're just gonna have to go over it all with a fine toothed comb until you figure out what's going on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Hi guys,

Wanted to give you an update on my 99 SS, and the starter issue im having. I pulled the starter off and it was a little weird when only one of the two bolts holding it to the block. The block has a hairline crack, and the mounting ear snapped off the starter. I will post pics in a second. I need to know what I can do to solidify the hairline crack on the block.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a repair piece that bolts in place - kind of expensive but unless you can get at it with a TIG welder, probably money well spent.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Had to go look - here is the thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/broken-...-mount-171452/

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Buster starter mount

This is what I found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

cracked block

Pulled the starter iff, found hairline crack
    Attached Images Attached Images

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ouch! Hope you can get that fixed before it lets go completely.

Thread Information