White
    2001 SS #3504

Mufflex vs. Spintech

Ok Im looking at the spintech system 3 inch for $399.95 off their site. Now Mufflex has a 3.5 inch system w/ the spintech muffler for $662.12. So first of all is extra 1/2 inch worth the extra cost? and would the hp gains be worth it? maybe it's the quality in the pipe that makes the price differance. My magnaflow just lost one of its tailpipes so it's time for a new sound.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

just go with the 3"

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I have the 3.5" Mufflex system with the 30 series Flowmaster and the single turn down and I'm very happy with the sound, performance and clean appearence
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

3.5in is generally unnecessary for most ppl's mods, 3in is plenty. It won't limit you unless your pushing some REAL power

I've found just about any single 3 inch system on a V8 to perform about the same. And yes it still chokes the car even at moderate power levels. These cars could really benefit from a real dual system instead of trying to funnel everying down to a smallish 3 inch single pipe.

With that said, I've used the 4 inch mufflex system and found 3 mph improvements at the track over the 3 inch systems. I used it with both the flowmaster muffler and the spintech muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    3.5in is generally unnecessary for most ppl's mods, 3in is plenty. It won't limit you unless your pushing some REAL power
    A 3 inch single pipe is not enough for even modest V8's. Go to a larger single pipe or a real dual system and you'll find improvements. Been there done that.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've found just about any single 3 inch system on a V8 to perform about the same. And yes it still chokes the car even at moderate power levels. These cars could really benefit from a real dual system instead of trying to funnel everying down to a smallish 3 inch single pipe.

With that said, I've used the 4 inch mufflex system and found 3 mph improvements at the track over the 3 inch systems. I used it with both the flowmaster muffler and the spintech muffler.
    by going with a pipe as big as 4in don't you lost a little tq that way?

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    by going with a pipe as big as 4in don't you lost a little tq that way?
    A dyno to dyno comparison would be cool. We used the track to test different systems with pretty decent results.
    I'm not sure I buy into that whole "torque loss" theory. I've raced cars through mufflers and switched to open headers and pick up quite a bit. 60 foot times never suffered I generally change the tune a bit though. Namely fuel, has to be richened for a better flowing system, or none at all. Which could be why people claim to feel a torque loss, if the engine goes toward the lean side it could make throttle response a bit lazy.

I know 4 inch sounds big,,,,but it's still a single pipe that has to fight exhaust pulses.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I dont think you lose torque it just gets transfered further up the rpms. Might feel you lost some torque but should'nt be the case. Alot of people in the past said with a exhaust cut out open they felt they lost torque but you gain it and its a bit further up the rpms, thats what ive read from past threads but also running lean will do that as well at the bottom or midrange with going with a bigger diameter exhaust. Not positive im sure we have someone on this site that can give more specific details on it. I have to agree i dont think a 4 inch exhaust system is really necessary for bolt on LS1 car but then again im no expert.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 03-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Thread Information