Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Muffler Confusion

I am trying to plan my exhaust mods for late summer and I want magnaflow mufflers. On their website they have many different sizes of mufflers, but they claim that they all have the same sound. How can a 7" muffler sound the same as a 11" muffler? They have about 10 different sizes. Does it make a difference?
    http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalmuffler.asp

And how can this
    http://www.google.com/m/search?q=Mag...n=ba1b502a#i=1

Work as well as this
    http://www.google.com/m/search?q=mag...n=2bfc92db#i=1
    Last edited by camaroluvr447; 03-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our stock exhaust runs 2 into 1 into 2. Are you converting to true duals?

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

A magnaflow cat back is on it now, 2 into 1 with stock headers and cats. I like the sound and don't want to lose that deep tone. The plan is to convert to true dials. The tru x muffler would be cheaper. But cheaper isn't always better.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

duals with x pipe then do magnaflow bullets, how loud are you wanting?

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    duals with x pipe then do magnaflow bullets, how loud are you wanting?

Not too loud, I wnto be able to take it for a drive without annoyance.

You won't want a pair of bullets then

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

What would I want?

For the sound you are looking for, you'll need a pair of those full size style mufflers you are looking at.

The problem is packaging them. These 4th gens weren't made for them. About the only place they squeeze in without ground clearance issues is right behind the back bumper on either side of the gas tank.
    That would require that you run your dual exhaust over the axle and out to the bumper. That's alot of fab work.

In which case I'd just buy a Bassani dual exhaust with a real muffler and be done with it.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

I am considering just dumping the exhaust before the axle as the absence of exhaust tips looks good. At least I think so. That would make simpler right?

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    I am considering just dumping the exhaust before the axle as the absence of exhaust tips looks good. At least I think so. That would make simpler right?
    Oh sure it makes things very simple. You just have to deal with ground clearance, interior noise, kicking up dust, etc....

I actually don't mind it on a weekend toy, but something I drive alot I just can't live with it.

I also like the absence of exhaust tips, unless you have a body surround to compliment them such as CME on a camaro, or the T/A's have a body surround.

You can still run a system out to the rear and hide the tips. Mufflex makes such a system in 3 1/2 inch and 4 inch, both with hidden tailpipes and your choice of flowmaster/spintech/magnaflow muffler.
    It's a single catback system, albiet with large I-pipes though. They work much better than the 3" catbacks. You would still have the noise out the rear of the car, no ground clearance issues, etc....

There, I just threw more decisions in the mix to make it more difficult to choose

I've used the 4" Mufflex setup before on a friends car, after several attempts at finding speed with 3" catbacks. The Mufflex setup picked up 3 tenths.
    We never tried a true dual setup on the car, just didn't have the opportunity, although I'd be willing to say the performance would have been very comparable to the 4" mufflex.

I'm getting ready to do a 3 1/2" mufflex setup with the magnaflow muffler and hidden tailpipe. If it proves to be too loud, I can easily stick a 3 1/2" bullet in the I-pipe to deaden some noise.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

So many options to choose from! If I had 3 grand for the exhaust system I bet I could decide in a hurry though!! Any pics o your setup?

When I get time I'd have to stick it on the lift and snap some pics.

Ya, by the time you do headers, Y-pipe, and a catback of some form it adds up quickly. Nothing much is cheap to play with on these 4th gens.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Right now I have a magnaflow cutback. If I replaced the stock manifolds with LTs and an ORY and just kept my current catback, how much power would I gain with that setup, compared to a true dual exhaust? Would it a big difference and worth the extra $$$$ or no?
    Last edited by camaroluvr447; 03-08-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Spell

Nothing wrong with a magnaflow catback. With headers and a Y-pipe, it's a pretty solid street package that works well enough for most cars.

Hard to say how much power a real dual system would gain or even a larger Mufflex single system. That generally becomes more beneficial the more radical the car is.

The example I used was a buddies Lingenfelter built 355 LT1. I honestly can't remember the dyno numbers, somewhere in the 450 rwhp range is close. It would run 11.60's at 117-118 mph with just about every 3 inch catback we had on it. It topped 120 mph the day we installed a 4 inch mufflex system though. It was radical for a street driven 355.

May not see that kind of gain on a milder combo, but I was sold on those Mufflex systems since that day.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea then dont get near bullets lol, im with fbj magnaflow cat back ory and headers will sound great cheap and quiet at idle and cruising and gets pretty mean at WOT

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I had my magnaflow and after headers and an off-road y you'll love the tone. I would suggest that before duals, then if you wanna trade up there are always people looking for exhaust parts.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I had my magnaflow and after headers and an off-road y you'll love the tone. I would suggest that before duals, then if you wanna trade up there are always people looking for exhaust parts.
    thanks i will keep that in mind. i plan on beginning this project midsummer!

Thread Information