Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motor mount

Jet Black
    1999 Trans Am

Question motor mount

need some help, have to change the motor mounts on my 99 T/A is this a big job or is this something i can do myself

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by new2dgame View Post
    need some help, have to change the motor mounts on my 99 T/A is this a big job or is this something i can do myself
    it's simple on paper, took me a few hours I could do it again in one or two

1) jack the front of the car up enough where it's comfortable for you to work on it, remember to use jack stands, dont want to be squished on your driveway

2)start to jack up the motor, by putting a block of wood between the jack and oil pan,

3)both mounts have a large long bolt going through them, remove these bolts once the pressure of the motor is off and jack the motor all the way out of the mounts.

4)replace the mounts. do NOT put the mounts on the motor, then lower the motor back in place, it WONT work; the mounts must be tightened to the body before the motor is dropped back on.

5) use a bar to wedge the motor back into the mounts and replace the long bolt on each side.

6) you are done

NOTE: if you have a 6 speed, replace the tranny mount too, it is much, much easier to replace than the motor mounts and will prevent wear on them too.
    Last edited by justinmc978; 02-17-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Jet Black
    1999 Trans Am

thanks..im going at it this week end ill keep u posted

silver
    2000 formula

REMOVE THE PEDESTALS with the mounts.............ask me how i know......do 1 side at a time......easy as pie

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    REMOVE THE PEDESTALS with the mounts.............ask me how i know......do 1 side at a time......easy as pie
    Without a doubt, best advice you can take! Take the pedestals out with the mounts but only do ONE SIDE AT A TIME. I made the mistake of taking both off and got one on in no time but fought for hours to get the second side to line up because the motor shifted.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Without a doubt, best advice you can take! Take the pedestals out with the mounts but only do ONE SIDE AT A TIME. I made the mistake of taking both off and got one on in no time but fought for hours to get the second side to line up because the motor shifted.
    Agreed. And while you have the pass side out reverse the long bolt that goes between the pedestal and mount shell so that you can just pull the mount if there is a next time.

silver
    2000 formula

i reversed the bolts........it was great...........til i put the headers in........headers blocked the bolts......turned the bolts back around

black
    firebird formula 99

I have to change mine and i bought the clamshell inserts and its says you have to drill out 5 rivits holding the halves together is that hard to do? im guessing you have to unbolt it from the frame and take it out

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

you can remove the pedastals or remove the alternator and ac pump to get the bolts out.....i actually removed it all cause i installed poly mounts and its hard to line up the holes with poly mounts....pedastals had to be removed.

black
    firebird formula 99

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    you can remove the pedastals or remove the alternator and ac pump to get the bolts out.....i actually removed it all cause i installed poly mounts and its hard to line up the holes with poly mounts....pedastals had to be removed.
    so ill have to unbolt it from the motor and the frame and take the whole thing out do you have to do that on the driver side as well?

pewter
    99 trans am

if youre goin back with stock mounts, you dont HAVE to take the pedastals out. but you do have to remove the alternator and ac pump to get the long bolts out...

black
    firebird formula 99

if youre goin back with stock mounts, you dont HAVE to take the pedastals out. but you do have to remove the alternator and ac pump to get the long bolts out...
    No i have th polyurathane inserts

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdformula99 View Post
    No i have th polyurathane inserts
    heres the lowdown, slick....i had to pull the pedastals as well, (at least get em loose enough to move around a bit) because the poly mount is such a tight fit in the clamshell, there is no forgiveness for the inaccuracy...i fought with it for a few hours before i decided to unbolt the pedastals, after that , gravy train with biscuit wheels.

black
    firebird formula 99

heres the lowdown, slick....i had to pull the pedastals as well, (at least get em loose enough to move around a bit) because the poly mount is such a tight fit in the clamshell, there is no forgiveness for the inaccuracy...i fought with it for a few hours before i decided to unbolt the pedastals, after that , gravy train with biscuit wheels.
    ok cool yeah im going to tackle that in the morning so ill have all day to fight it thanks for the tips

pewter
    99 trans am

ok cool yeah im going to tackle that in the morning so ill have all day to fight it thanks for the tips
    now remember, just take your time and itll go a lot faster.....if that makes sense...half the time i was workin against myself since it was my first time.

black
    firebird formula 99

now remember, just take your time and itll go a lot faster.....if that makes sense...half the time i was workin against myself since it was my first time.
    yeah this is my first time workin on the mounts this is my first ls1 and i love the car to death but working on it is something else sence the motor is stuffed under the dash

pewter
    99 trans am

yeah this is my first time workin on the mounts this is my first ls1 and i love the car to death but working on it is something else sence the motor is stuffed under the dash
    i got stuck with some short ass jackstands to work with so it sucked...and be careful where you place the jackstands...if placed in the wrong spot, it could hinder your access to the mounts....i learned this the hard way....

black
    firebird formula 99

i got stuck with some short ass jackstands to work with so it sucked...and be careful where you place the jackstands...if placed in the wrong spot, it could hinder your access to the mounts....i learned this the hard way....
    i was thinking of jackn up the front and putn ramps under the tires then lower it down i hate jack stands

pewter
    99 trans am

i was thinking of jackn up the front and putn ramps under the tires then lower it down i hate jack stands
    just make sure you got good ramps...some of them shits are known to collapse...sorry if im soundin like a nag, but safety first....

black
    firebird formula 99

just make sure you got good ramps...some of them shits are known to collapse...sorry if im soundin like a nag, but safety first....
    No thats my thing to as low as that car is theyd be scrapping me off the ground if it fell on me

Thread Information