blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

max n/a Ls1 h/p and torque quess

i'm writing a paper for my freshman writing class at cmu on the firebird. and i was wondering what is the rough max hp and t/q that a n/a ls1 could make/handle?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

So, you want best case scenario for an LS1 with bolt-ons and heads/cam potential? Or do you want to know how much hp/tq an LS1 block can handle?

98' trans am

hmmm how bought both..i thought the aluminum block could only really handle around 700ish

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

I wouldnt go more than 550-600hp on that stock bottom end. Someone correct me if im wrong but anything past 600, you should go forged right?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Forged is always a good idea with high horsepower engines.
    But they answer to your questions will be somewhat hypothetical.
    You would have to take the factory 346 LS1 block and build it with forged internals, great flowing heads, a HUGE cam, premium valvetrain...etc.
    What about the driveshaft and rear end? Are those going to stay stock as well, because those can only take so much torque before crappin' out.
    I'm trying to wrap my head around everything you're asking. Technically, there's no set answer, too many possibilities.

98' trans am

yea i know about the rear and such..but i was just asking about the engine.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I'm sure it could make 550hp+ at the crank with heads/cam and bolt-ons.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Mine blew at a little over 600 to the wheels....But it wasnt an engine issue per se as much as a tuning/builder issue....I've seen a LS1 block at 1100 RWHP....if your asking what can a stock LS1 spinner assembly run I'd say right at 450 HP...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Mine blew at a little over 600 to the wheels....But it wasnt an engine issue per se as much as a tuning/builder issue....I've seen a LS1 block at 1100 RWHP....if your asking what can a stock LS1 spinner assembly run I'd say right at 450 HP...
    What do you think about the LS6?
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The LS6 is basically the same block, it just has different characteristics from the factory to give it that higher hp rating from the factory. You could build an LS6 with the LS1 block if you wanted, it would just be a waste of money replacing the heads, cam, intake manifold...etc. But stripping all that stuff and building that one up for the same purpose as the LS1 on this thread would yield similar results.

As far as the LS1 goes, I don't think the 346 aluminum block itself could produce 1100 RWHP. It would die. I'm sure the LS1 that you're talking about would be the iron block. But I could be wrong.

To rephrase the question though, pull the LS1 out of an 02 f-body, strip it to the block, keep stock cubes, and build it up all premium parts. Money isn't an issue, what would the best case scenario yield? Just heads/cam and bolt-ons though. Not nitrous or forced induction...

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

There are quite a few stock short blocks putting down over 450 to the rear wheels. Our 1998 Z28's stock short block put down 450 rwhp through a th400 and a 12-bolt. The TH400 and 12-bolt rob more power then a 4L60E and a 10-bolt, so using the theoretical 18% loss, our engine was putting down about 550 at the crank. With forged internals and a better selction of parts, it would have put down more. We did add a little nitrous to ours (135 shot) and it ran 9.94 @ 137 in the 1/4 mile ... which equated to about 575 rwhp or 700 at the crank.
    George P. Lara
    Mine 2001 Camaro SS #0391: FQuick Garage
    Mrs.'s 2002 Camaro SS #7072: FQuick Garage

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    The LS6 is basically the same block, it just has different characteristics from the factory to give it that higher hp rating from the factory. You could build an LS6 with the LS1 block if you wanted, it would just be a waste of money replacing the heads, cam, intake manifold...etc. But stripping all that stuff and building that one up for the same purpose as the LS1 on this thread would yield similar results.

As far as the LS1 goes, I don't think the 346 aluminum block itself could produce 1100 RWHP. It would die. I'm sure the LS1 that you're talking about would be the iron block. But I could be wrong.

To rephrase the question though, pull the LS1 out of an 02 f-body, strip it to the block, keep stock cubes, and build it up all premium parts. Money isn't an issue, what would the best case scenario yield? Just heads/cam and bolt-ons though. Not nitrous or forced induction...
    Yes the LS1 I reference was built in a motor buildoff and only had to run for 5 minutes Talk about clearing a room....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    There are quite a few stock short blocks putting down over 450 to the rear wheels. Our 1998 Z28's stock short block put down 450 rwhp through a th400 and a 12-bolt. The TH400 and 12-bolt rob more power then a 4L60E and a 10-bolt, so using the theoretical 18% loss, our engine was putting down about 550 at the crank. With forged internals and a better selction of parts, it would have put down more. We did add a little nitrous to ours (135 shot) and it ran 9.94 @ 137 in the 1/4 mile ... which equated to about 575 rwhp or 700 at the crank.
    Yup.....Its always good to hear from the "real" crowd....So many times these kids get all tied up in RWHP on the dyno...who gives a shit....how quick am I? That's the build goals.....I could care less about dyno numbers...they have their place I guess....but in the end....what is my trap speed and ET....

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yup.....Its always good to hear from the "real" crowd....So many times these kids get all tied up in RWHP on the dyno...who gives a shit....how quick am I? That's the build goals.....I could care less about dyno numbers...they have their place I guess....but in the end....what is my trap speed and ET....
    i'm not all tied up with rwhp..but i mean for a research paper i just wanted to know about the ls1's n/a max possible output to show how well enginered it is ya know?

Thread Information