Black
    2002 Z28

Question Mass Air Flow Sensor

Does anyone know if you really get 10-15 extra HP from a descreened MAF? If so which is the best to get? I see a lot of adds here for them.

ADDICTED!!!

black
    2002 Camaro SS

Be careful when buying an aftermarket MAF. If you plan on doing any additional mods to your car. Descreened and some aftermarket MAF's can cause rough running issues on some vehicles with other mods. For example a friend of mine descreened and cut the airfoil out of his maf, then he decided to put long tube headers on. After the install of his headers the car would misfire and stall. We traced it back to the MAF. Anyways due to the maf being descreened and the foil missing the air going into the intake was too turbulent causing the issue. I don't reccomend replacing your maf at all unless you are running forced induction or extremly high horsepower. My car has over 440hp still with the stock MAF. All they are a waste of money. Another thing is you might net 10-15hp if you replace all the intake components, ie lid, filter, smooth bellow, throttle body. You won't really get a noticeable gain from any one component.

Black
    2002 Z28

Thx

Thanks for the feedback bro. I think Ill hold off on getting that thing descreened. So you have over 440 HP? What all did you to to your car to get that increase? Ive finally got mine paid off and want to play with it now. I read all sorts of advice but I wanna know what really works and what doesnt on increasing the HP. I dont want a blower though. Any advice you give is appreciated.

ADDICTED!!!

black
    2002 Camaro SS

LT headers, ORY, all intake components, minus MAF of course, cat back, LS1 edit, plugs, wires, electric water pump, roller rockers. 440 is an estimate at the flywheel. Car made 380 at the wheels.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Stockers are good for way more HP then you plan on achieving, stick with your MAF, keep the screen in and spend the $$$ elsewhere. Pacesetter LT, ORY and a nice flowing CB will net you about 30 to the wheels WO a tune. Start from there and GOOOOO

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I have the SLP 85mm MAF with my current engine combo/numbers in sig. Putting together a new setup including Fast 90 Intake/NW 90mm TB - the 85mm MAF will be just fine. Never descreened my MAF - in fact they reccommend that you DON'T descreen the MAF for a car that will run on the street.
    2000 Phoenix WS6 Trans Am
    Pride of Western PA Car Shows

426RWHP/418RWTQ N/A (Mustang Dyno MD-1750)
    584RWHP/510RWTQ Massaged by TNT (Mustang Dyno MD-1750)

Thread Information