Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 Convertib

Mass Air Bellows won't fit - please help

Hello All,

I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I have a '98 Camaro LS1 that I bought with a BBK throttle body and spacer installed. The aftermark airfilter lid has never fit on properly since I've owned it. It sticks to far forward towards the front of the car and there is a little gap between the lid and the filter.

I read on this forum (can't find the post now!) that this was due to the BBK TB and I should get a smooth bellows like the kind sold at SLP and cut a little bit off of the TB side to get it to fit. I ordered one and am trying to install it, but the problem is worse! I cut as much off of the smooth bellows as I think I can and still leave enough of a flange to get the hose clamp around. See pics below and @
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2094292532. The lid won't come close to fitting.

I am sure someone has run into this before... any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

white
    2002 z28

try the stock one that is like a slinky (very loose) and see if that works

Gold
    1998 Formula

You can always trim the length down a bit.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Cut an equal amount

It looks from your picture that the bellows that is up against the TB as it should be. Now if anything needs to to trimed it would be the portion of the bellows slid over the lid. I always leave the clamp loose on the TB and wiggle the (4) tabs on the lid into the slots as far as they will go then tighten clamps. If the tube is too long because of the spacer cut an equal amount off the bellows same width as your spacer (no more).
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

I agree with 89LX. I just put my stock mass air back in about an hour ago and was havin trouble. I just finally losened everything up slid the plastic on the air box over the mass air meter and wiggled it back till it fit. Then retightened everything back up.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Not to take over this guys post but I'm having the same problem with my car. I have the FAST 90 setup and have a $6 piece of rubber fernco from Lowes on it. Connecting the tb to the MAF. It works somewhat, but problem is it pushes pressure on air lid and keeps popping the clips off. Where is everyone getting those intake tubes or whatever for cars with 90mm TB's? I've had enough of this problem. I had to buy a 3' section of intake hose for $100. It was 4'' diameter, well I thought it would strecth just enough to fit over the TB, well it doesn't and I don't feel like going and spending another $100 on 4.5"diameter intake tube. It's silicone tubing, I think that's why its' so expensive.Any help would be appreciated.
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

Thread Information