Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magnaflow question : you won't believe this

So I accidentally bid on a 93-97 Magnaflow catback brand new from ebay - I just realized this now and I'm taking it to my exhaust shop tomorrow to have it installed - I have an '02 SS. My question is will this fit or will they have to fabricate it/change the system? Ultimately, is the muffler the same as the one on t he 98-02 setup? So frustrated. Thanks all
    '02 Camaro SS 12.87@112.93

hahaha

tt
    Last edited by JettRink; 05-03-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    it should be the same. i think the mounting hardware is different.

I just put my SECOND magnaflow - this time the full catback system (all stainless steel which i bought from performance peddler on ebay). The first time was a universal muffler, didnt like the restriction. i've gone on ls1sounds.com and driven my friends SS w/the same LT's and ORY as I have, and he has the Magnaflow catback system. So I bit the bullet and bought the whole catback... this one sounds WORSe than the previous one. How is this possible, it's not even close to the ones I hear on ls1sounds.com or my buddies Camaro. Do I just not have luck or am I getting the wrong muffler EVERY time? I just got off the phone with Magnaflow and they were very unhelpful, all they told me is that they only make one muffler for the LS1 F-Body... so how does that sound for uninformed. Anyhow, I'm about through wasting my time and money with magnaflow.. even though i love the way the "correct" setup sounds that I have been bending over backwards to get. I guess i'll just go to bullets or loudmouth. if anyone has advice, please let me know. Thanks all.

BTW - Current mods are

PaceSetter LT's
    ORYP
    Magnaflow CB

Snake Eater
    In what ways does it sound worse?

completely muffled... quiet, restricted. not at all what ive heard nor driven.

artic white
    2000 ss

It gets louder over time,the material inside the muffler probably burns off,get less dense.I know I bought the Magna Flow catback and after 6 months the sound got louder and deeper.

perhaps.. but this isnt even close. it sounds like there is something clogged in the pipes. steel wool or something. i even called magnaflow today with regard to break in and they said it wont change much. anyone? ill try to get a soundclip up somehow soon. thanks all

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Not sure what you are looking for my setup sounds great.

mrhzk - i know! i drove my buddies and his sounds amazing. thats why i bought it in the first place. I feel that i ordered from the wrong guy. i got it off e-bay from a guy called performance peddler - system came looking great, but as soon as they turned it on at the xhaust shop i knew something was wrong. i have a feeling i was sold a universal/generic magnaflow muffler instead of the specifically dsigned LS1 system. is that feasible?

mrhzk - is your exhaust tone relatively the same as when you first put it on?

gents. i think i may have discovered the problem. after looking at the magnaflow website, the picture of the assembled system has a "1 in 2 out" setup. My muffler is not seated like this. It currently has TWO inlets on the right side, and one on the left, the opposite to the picture on the Magnaflow website. However, there is a "U" shaped pipe the turns away from the muffler to attach to another pipe "I" shaped to hook up to the passenger side exhaust tip. In other words, is it possible that the muffler is installed the opposite way that it needs to be and is therefore flowing incorrectly? Please attach any available pictures that you have of the underside/backside of your installed Magnaflow system. thanks all

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JettRink
    mrhzk - i know! i drove my buddies and his sounds amazing. thats why i bought it in the first place. I feel that i ordered from the wrong guy. i got it off e-bay from a guy called performance peddler - system came looking great, but as soon as they turned it on at the xhaust shop i knew something was wrong. i have a feeling i was sold a universal/generic magnaflow muffler instead of the specifically dsigned LS1 system. is that feasible?

mrhzk - is your exhaust tone relatively the same as when you first put it on?
    No because I first put it on with factory cats and manifolds. I now have pacesetter long tubes w/tsp catted y pipe. So it is considerably louder now. When I first put it on It was almost stock sounding at idle. I also bought mine from the same guy on ebay. I got mine for $320.00 shipped. Did you get the whole cat back or just a muffler?

the whole catback.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JettRink
    completely muffled... quiet, restricted. not at all what ive heard nor driven.
    Oh thank god.

Just recieved two magnaflow mufflers for my true duals. I certainly hope they calm down the loudness a touch.

lol Luos - i wish i had that problem.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

I have played with mine alot. I have a 2002 SS, I bought the catback magnaflow system with the huge ass pumpkin shootin barrels it comes with .. It totally takes away from the body lines of the car.. they hang too low .. They sound good though. I decided to get the centermount exhaust and rear valance put on because I hated those big ass pipes hanging down so low. So instead of using the SS muffler I kept my Magnaflow and welded up the tips to it. It sounds good to me Has a nice rumble especially when you kick in the passing gear or rev it up.. As the other guys said it will break in and sound a little different. and as for you saying it sounds like somethings in it.. haha from what I remember there was styrofoam inside the pipes when I took them out of the box from Magnaflow did you take all of that out?Heres a site that has sounds and video of a lot of different installation situations with video and pics
    http://www.ls1sounds.com/

thanks for your input illcul8 - but thats what i based my exhaust off of was ls1sounds - and it is simply not the right exhaust. those magnaflows sound aggressive and rumbly. mine sounds like i said, clogged. so i am trying on last time. vertivip on here is selling his magnaflow to me, so if that goes wrong - i will know t hat its my car, not the system. thanks for all your input - ill let you know how it all goes.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Did you get the v6 cat back or the v8 one?

the V8 - 93-97 setup.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Yeah maybe that is the problem then

Thread Information