Thread: MAF ported ends

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

MAF ported ends

i was looking on the ws6store.com site and saw the MAF ported ends by Fast Toys. Looks like it will significantly increase airflow without having to change to an aftermarket sensor. I know people say the stock setup is good to 500hp but why do people get bigger TB's and manifolds with such a small area of air passing through the stock MAF ends? i am newer to the ls1 world but as in everything else, a team only performs as good as its weakest link and the stock MAF ends have to be the weakest link in just about any air induction setup.

I agree with your theory. The stock MAF seems like a restriction to me also, especially with all the rage about 90-92 throttle bodies and intakes,,,,but there are so many LS1's making good power with the stock MAF still in place so it's hard to say.
    My 02 still has the stock MAF and I have no plans to seriously tax it's potential so it will stay for now.
    My wifes 00 however has the ported ends on the stock MAF body. I bought it this way. It has taken me a little while to dial in the MAF tables on this car, I think due to the ported ends, since my 02 was a breeze.

These ported ends don't have the screens in them either and have a much smoother entry/exit. Seems to work okay now that the MAF tables are decent. But I don't think I'll even get close to taxing the stock MAF on this car either, but they were already there so.......

But it seems like this might be a better way to go for those that want to experiment. You can easily swap the ends back and it's much cheaper than buying an entire MAF.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i was told that if you get the ported ends you could throw off the maf. i dont know how tru that is but the guy that told me knows what he is doing so i tend to believe him. just my .02.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

interesting...subscribing!

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

ill have to do some more research i guess. i know there are people out there making loads of power on the stock MAF but just imagine if they replaced that with something better...... prob pick up 20hp lol. just seems so restrictive with that divider and those screens. one air filter is enough lol.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

just get a speed density tune so you dont need one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i was told that if you get the ported ends you could throw off the maf. i dont know how tru that is but the guy that told me knows what he is doing so i tend to believe him. just my .02.
    Yes it does, just as if you were replacing the entire MAF with an aftermarket.

As with either mod, you have to retune the car and calibrate the MAF tables accordingly. Thats all there really is to it.

As I said, my stock MAF equipped 4th gen was very easy to dial in once Frost straightened me out. Our other 4th gen with ported MAF ends was a little more finicky. Not bad, just took a little more time, thats all. Once the MAF tables are squared away it'll work like any other. Ours is running great, good throttle response and gas mileage is excellent.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    just get a speed density tune so you dont need one at all.
    Winner

Ya thats the way to go if you plan big power. It's just not as forgiving when you make changes to the setup. Thats where your own tuning software would come in handy.

Also if you drive in very different conditions as I do where elevation goes from 7,000 feet to 1,000 feet in a matter of a few miles speed density could give you fits and should be something to consider as well.

I know it's throwing me for a loop on my carburated hotrods. Trying to find a happy medium is time consuming, especially if you're as picky as me about your tuning.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-23-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

This will start up a huge debate, but heres my thoughts on the topic....

IMO, I ported my MAF in the first month i had the car, and have not had one problem, even the elusive buttdyno felt better, but if you look at the stock ones, theres a big fin in the middle that yes i realize "straightens the air out", but the same air is still moving over the sensors, some will say this will lead to bad readings and be a pain to tune, but mine tuned just fine..... so my position on the subject is to either port them yourself, there is a great write up on the install university, or like you said buy the ends,

but on a side note, Speed Density FTW!!!

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

This will start up a huge debate, but heres my thoughts on the topic....

IMO, I ported my MAF in the first month i had the car, and have not had one problem, even the elusive buttdyno felt better, but if you look at the stock ones, theres a big fin in the middle that yes i realize "straightens the air out", but the same air is still moving over the sensors, some will say this will lead to bad readings and be a pain to tune, but mine tuned just fine..... so my position on the subject is to either port them yourself, there is a great write up on the install university, or like you said buy the ends,

but on a side note, Speed Density FTW!!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

so one person says it was harder to tune without the center fin and another person says the car made more power.... sounds like a hit or miss kinda deal on these things.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    so one person says it was harder to tune without the center fin and another person says the car made more power.... sounds like a hit or miss kinda deal on these things.
    i think alot of it all depends on how it was done.....

Well I don't know if you are referring to me or not, But I don't remember a center fin in there, maybe the ported ends removes that???. I'll have to look at the stocker on my car to see what it is you are talking about. But as for the ported ends on my wifes car it did seem a little more finicky with the AFR jumping around a bit, took some creative MAF tables to straighten it out but it wasn't bad by any means.
    Just comparing to my stock MAF on my car the AFR was rock solid throughout and very easy to dial in.

As far as more power I can't say. The ported ends were there when I bought the car. It wouldn't be that difficult though to take the stocker off my car and throw it in the trunk of my wifes car next visit to the track. Would be interesting to see if there is any difference. An easy swap between rounds and maybe a simple reflash with the laptop.
    The nice thing about the ported ends is being able to switch back to the stockers if need be.

Trans Am owner
    former

ill have to do some more research i guess. i know there are people out there making loads of power on the stock MAF but just imagine if they replaced that with something better...... prob pick up 20hp lol. just seems so restrictive with that divider and those screens. one air filter is enough lol.
    the screen is there to strighten out airflow.

since f-bods have straight ari intkaes, its not really needed. descreening it is a popular mod.

I believe some of the later LS6 corvettes came from the factory with no screen on the MAF

Quote Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1 View Post
    the screen is there to strighten out airflow.

since f-bods have straight ari intkaes, its not really needed. descreening it is a popular mod.

I believe some of the later LS6 corvettes came from the factory with no screen on the MAF
    Ya I've heard that before. I somewhat struggle with that theory but one thing is for certain,,,,that screen at the very least will slow down the air flow and thats not condusive to performance.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

maybe i will try to de-screen the maf and see how that works then. if that is good then i might see about removing the center fin or thinning it out somewhat because its definetly a restriction.

maybe i will try to de-screen the maf and see how that works then. if that is good then i might see about removing the center fin or thinning it out somewhat because its definetly a restriction.
    The only MAF I ever descreened was on my wifes 97 Z28 many years ago. She drove it everyday up until it was totalled a few months back. Never had any ill affects from doing it unlike some of the horror stories you hear.

Even though it worked fine, I don't plan on descreening the stock MAF on my 02. And since my wifes new 4th gen came with ported ends the screens were already gone. I assume the screens come off with the ends??? I'm not sure on that, I haven't looked at it that closely, but if thats the case it would be easy to reinstall the stock ends with screens if the ported ends don't work out for you. Thats my thought anyway. It's nothing perminant and can be switched back, unlike removing the screens themselves, they tend to get a little mangled and won't go back in.

But you have peaked my curiosity. I may just pull the ported ends MAF off my wifes car and take it with me to the track next week when I race the 02 and see if it's worth anything over the stock MAF. I need to play with it this week on the street and check the AFR first so there aren't any mishaps at the track.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The only MAF I ever descreened was on my wifes 97 Z28 many years ago. She drove it everyday up until it was totalled a few months back. Never had any ill affects from doing it unlike some of the horror stories you hear.

Even though it worked fine, I don't plan on descreening the stock MAF on my 02. And since my wifes new 4th gen came with ported ends the screens were already gone. I assume the screens come off with the ends??? I'm not sure on that, I haven't looked at it that closely, but if thats the case it would be easy to reinstall the stock ends with screens if the ported ends don't work out for you. Thats my thought anyway. It's nothing perminant and can be switched back, unlike removing the screens themselves, they tend to get a little mangled and won't go back in.

But you have peaked my curiosity. I may just pull the ported ends MAF off my wifes car and take it with me to the track next week when I race the 02 and see if it's worth anything over the stock MAF. I need to play with it this week on the street and check the AFR first so there aren't any mishaps at the track.
    if u end up trying it out, def let me know how it went.

Thread Information