Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2000 trans am ws6

MAF housing upgrade

has anyone ever used one of these to improve preformance or to dress up underhood?

GM CHEVY BILLET ALUMINUM LS1 LT4 LT1 MASS AIR HIGH FLOW PORTED MAF ENDS RED | eBay

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Can't say I have but 1000 cfm is alot of air movement so I hope you have some mods on your car and the PCM will need to go to Frost. Good luck
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Good question. I haven't seen this before but would be interested to know of ones experience.
    Perhaps one of the guys on the Camaro site are framiliar with it ?

Yes I used ported ends on my wifes car but they were the older style molded from plastic. I can't remember the brand name or who sold them but they were popular for a few years when these cars were still new at the time. Don't even think they are made anymore, and seeing a new version of them was actually a surprise to me.

Whats nice about it is you don't really modify your current ends on the maf by removing screens and porting (something you can't return back from once you start). But the ported ends simply replace your stock ends, so if you want to return to stock ends with screens it just takes a few minutes.

As far as function, there are claims of gains but I never dyno'd the car so can't verify, I did have to revamp the MAF tables though (obviously a tune will be in order for anyone doing this). Recently I decided to go Speed Density tune and removed the MAF all together. Best decision I ever made. That would get my vote now.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

thats the same one im getting in a couple of weeks, ill let you know wen i get it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Leave the MAF alone! Unless you are heading north of 500 hp, the stock MAF is fine as is. Any mods to it simply throw off its calibration and result in improper air flow being reported to the PCM. As FBJ said, if you insist on screwing with it, you must adjust your MAF table in your tune to compensate.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

yes,reaper ws6 please keep me posted on how it turns out.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Leave the MAF alone! Unless you are heading north of 500 hp, the stock MAF is fine as is. Any mods to it simply throw off its calibration and result in improper air flow being reported to the PCM. As FBJ said, if you insist on screwing with it, you must adjust your MAF table in your tune to compensate.
    This 1000 times over again

I vote for removing that hunk completely and going SD It's cheaper, and it removed another problematic electrical device. Slight gain in HP and my throttle response is more crisp and snappy, very noticable difference. I picked up MPG too.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Yeah Ive been debating removing mine. I just got a 12" section of intake silicone so it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, I guess an argument could be made as to having or not having one. It's up to the individual.

I had been struggling in HPtuner to setup a proper histogram to dial in the MAF table with my wideband,,and I had been talking to Frost about throttle response and how the throttle (on all my maf LS engines) just isn't "on and off" like I would prefer it to be.

He suggested going with a speed density tune, eliminate the MAF and run completely off the VE tables, and I would pick up a few HP too by eliminating it in the air track (didn't sound like a bad thing ). I tried it first on my wifes car and was immediately impressed. Better idle quality, snappy throttle, and my AFR's were more consistent, so I picked up some gas mileage to boot. Now I can command exactly what I want using the wideband to dial in the VE table, and I'm done. I liked it so much I switched everything else over to SD. The added benefit (in my mind) is removing another troublesome electronic device, no worries of it getting dirty which causes irratic behavior and poor mileage, no more cleaning it etc....An interesting point is that none of the other car manufactures even use these things,,,,food for thought.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

i have a predator tuner so if i did this mod what would i want my MAF table to be set at?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanWS6 View Post
    i have a predator tuner so if i did this mod what would i want my MAF table to be set at?
    It would be totally custom. Basically need dedicated software to log MAF tables with a wideband and make adjustments accordingly.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you delete the MAF, you'll also have to turn off the error reporting in a couple of places in order to avoid lighting the SES.

Ooops Jeff,,,I figured he was asking about the ported ends.

Jeff is right, if you want to completely remove the MAF, you do have to turn off error reporting codes (I'd have to check how I have mine set) You can also run SD in open or closed loop. The car would run soley off the VE tables, which should be optimized before going SD mode perminantly. So those VE tables would also need to be logged and tune via wideband.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

UPDATE....well i purchased this housing and have to say i absolutely love the look and it sure feels like it added horsepower.. i mentioned it on the frost tune so i don't know if he made adjustments for it but, assume he did.. car runs great..

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I vote for removing that hunk completely and going SD It's cheaper, and it removed another problematic electrical device. Slight gain in HP and my throttle response is more crisp and snappy, very noticable difference. I picked up MPG too.
    This sounds awesome. Are there any considerations with driveability or reliability? Any reasons NOT to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    This sounds awesome. Are there any considerations with driveability or reliability? Any reasons NOT to do it?
    No draw backs that I know of. You'll have to revamp the tune completely since the car will run off the VE tables. I'd recommend a custom tune from a reputable place.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, at this point I'm no where near where I'd need to be to do any kind of tune.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Lots of cars run speed density right from the factory -- just another way of calculating airflow into the engine. My understanding is that a MAF allows for greater accuracy over a speed density system. In addition, unless you are heading north of 500 hp, the factory MAF is more than adequate.

Thread Information