SOM
    2002 SS

Made my own Y pipe ANti-rattle solution!!! PIC

So, I installed a Hooker 3" Y and corsa cat back to the stock exhaust behind the cats a while back. I had tons of rattle. I bought an anti rattle bracket from somewhere and it worked to some degree but not 100%. ANytime there was a little hop it was back with a vengeance.

Can't really blame the clamp. I bought the 3" because I assumed it fit on the Y pipe. My Y was fitted further back so I still had dinky 2.5 inch pipe where it was supposed to clamp the pipe. I ended up using exhaust wrap to make up the .5.

Anyhow, To work effectively I had to push the pipe far from the floor to tighten the clamp and it reduced clearance. After a few bad speed bumps scraped and destroyed the clamp it pretty much just hung there. WHile I had the car up to do the coilovers and shocks I decided to do Some McGivering and figure some way to stop rattle.

This works 100%. ZERO rattle at all times even under aggressive driving. I slit the rubbers and slid them on the clamp. Between the exhaust pipe and the rubber I wrapped a layer of exhaust wrap so the rubber wouldnt melt. Looks pretty ghetto but great clearance (for now until headers arrive anyways) and no rattle whatsoever !!! There's 2 rubbers in there one you can't see on the inside.

I know the wrap is raggedy but I just reused a piece I had on the pipe before instead of just cutting new one. I was lying under the car and was too lazy to get up lol.

Last edited by 5abivt; 05-10-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice fix -- be curious to see if it holds up to the heat. If my Y bangs, I will be trying the bracket first, but will keep this in mind.

SOM
    2002 SS

Here's the original clamp.

Im not sure but i would imagine if you use the clamp in it's intended location and it doesn't work you would probably need to get one .5" bigger than the pipe to be able to fit some heat shielding or exhaust wrap and a piece of rubber in there. Cool thing is it can be placed anywhere. i did smell a faint bit of rubber after the first drive but after a few days of driving I wiggled it and its fine and no more smell. this pic was taken last night after a few days. If heat does kill it, I'll probably get more muffler hanger rubbers from anywhere, and move the clamp further back down the exhaust stream and place 2 layers of heat shielding or some foil paper too. Pretty ghetto but I was shocked at how effective it works this way. I drove like a maniac to work this morning and I couldn't get it to make any sort of noise or vibration from underneath at all.

It's just a temporary fix although one of the main reasons I ordered headers was to eliminate the rattle. I have poly mounts etc which will be installed with the headers too. On the bright side if there still is rattle after the install I know how to stop it.
    Last edited by 5abivt; 05-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.

silver
    2000 formula

with polys..........my engine does not rock a milli meter............no Y pipe bang there

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    with polys..........my engine does not rock a milli meter............no Y pipe bang there

Thread Information