Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

Thumbs down LTS+ORY install quote.. Rediculous ??

Ok so when I had my exhaust guy install my corsa and hooker ory he charged me z reasonable amount (125) for what took him an hour and a bit. He is very very good and since I bring him so much work I get a great price. Problem is he won't install headers, nor do I want him to. He doesn't specialize in that any thing header back is what he does.

So I'm basically stuck. I know u can do them myself but don't mind paying someone a reasonable amount for what can be done on a hoist so easily. I almost don't want to think about the manifold/cat bolts on my 126k mile winter driven z. Impossible?

So the quote I got is $850. Like whoa. That's to install the LTs weld the y, and fix up what needs to be done so my tips are tucked in a bit more. He also quoted me $300 to do the poly mounts. Am I seeing things? I thought they were a bolt on affair with the headers out and on a hoist.

What do you guys think? 2x the cost of the lts and ory just for install or am I in a dream world ?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Would not pay that, would find someone who knows how to do it and pay them. Thats outrageous.

Red
    2001 ws6

thats insane......i ended up doing them myself but i called around and the price range was anywhere from $400-$600......

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Price range as agreed with above is about 400-600. Im lucky my dealer will do the install for me for 180 including plugs since the best price i got was 350 just headers and additional 50 for plugs from other mechanics.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

2000 Camaro B4C

yeah not a shot that i would pay that, i did 400 for mine and that was about the highest i would go

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

book time is like 7hours to do both sides, so depending on the labor rate, thats not that far off. prob $600 is more reasonable. but either way its not gonna be cheap...
    Last edited by mpfranks; 03-17-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

That sucks, were i live no one touches the headers but one shop and they charge $1000 buck thats crazy so I just installed myself

2000 Camaro B4C

yeah for that much try it yourself then if you cant get it turn to a shop and pay for it IMO

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

easy to do yourself. not only will it save you an ass load of cash, you will learn alittle about your car, and have the pride knowing you did it yourself. basic hand tools is all you need.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

That's highway robbery, if you allow it. I typically charge people anywhere from $100-150 on headers, and that's pretty much the pricing you get from an individual for side work on headers, around OK. Most shops charge about $300 in OK, give or take some for header job. $850 is I truly think if you shop around, you will find a better price quote than that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

No way in hell would I pay some one to do that. Did mine in a day in my garage using the Headers sticky. You can do this easy. Take your time. Only hard part is getting the old stuff out. I wasn't keeping my CATS so a sawzall makes work go by fast. Plenty of ppl here to ask if you need help.

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks for the input guys. I am capable of doing almost anything it's just I tend to shy away from some jobs that seem to require tools I don't have. I just always felt any exhaust stuff especially anything that I custom fit is always left to an exhaust shop that can weld etc. I know I can get the manifolds off. He'll the plugs were a piece of cake. But I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to cut the pipe where my current ory is welded to just behind the stock cats. I just feel helpless knowing I have a 3 piece ory and high flow cats I want to fit in there somewhere.

I guess my plan us to have someone just remove my manifolds, cut the y where needed to mate to my lts, get it temp welded in place and then go see my exhaust guy and have him do all the detail moving and positioning with the new ory.

I hate feeling stuck

SOM
    2002 SS

Hmm the sawzall is the cutter tool right? I'm sure I can rent one if those. I guess closest thing I've used is a dremel but this gives me some hope...

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Hmm the sawzall is the cutter tool right? I'm sure I can rent one if those. I guess closest thing I've used is a dremel but this gives me some hope...
    ya on the sawzall.....but u should only have to sawzall one part of the exhaust where it goes over the axel......everything else will come off with unbolting it

SOM
    2002 SS

My current setup Is a corsa cat back system mated to a hooker 3" y pipe. Don't ask me why I put the y on I knew it gave me nothing but it just came with the corsa so I had my exhaust guy throw it on . The full system is welded right up to say where the lt header primaries start to merge ( to give you an idea . The lts are nit on yet)

I guess if I have a sawzall I can just chop anywhere really. Any special blade required for metal cutting?
    Last edited by 5abivt; 03-17-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

so the corsa is welded to the y? you have a stock y-pipe on there now correct? the corsa should come apart over the axel then and you wont have to sawzall it off. its guna be a PITA though. is the current y-pipe welded to the stock manifolds? regardless your getting a new y-pipe anyway. i would just cut the y where it meets the manifolds, unbolt the manifolds and cut the y where it meets the corsa. you plan to keep the corsa correct? if not i got first dibs

SOM
    2002 SS

Aye the current setup is stock manifolds, stock cats and 3" Hooker Y pipe welded to a Corsa. The Corsa system is fully welded which really sucks and is why my tips currently stick out too far and hang a bit low.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    i would just cut the y where it meets the manifolds, unbolt the manifolds and cut the y where it meets the corsa.
    This sounds like exactly what I need to do. I think I will clamp all the connections on the 3 piece Y pipe and then head to my exhaust guy to do the final bending and tacking and fixing up of my corsa tips etc. I think I can do this !!

black
    1998 trans am

we charger $150 for headers and ORY. unless it is KOOKS on a C5 Vette then I will take $300 and a
    5th of JD.

I will put a cat back on for $50 to $75

thanks

Mark

that price is WAY HIGH..

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    we charger $150 for headers and ORY. unless it is KOOKS on a C5 Vette then I will take $300 and a
    5th of JD.

I will put a cat back on for $50 to $75

thanks

Mark

that price is WAY HIGH..
    You make me want to drive down to you ! Mark are you the Mark at KYspeed? Can you pm me a price on extensions for the o2s please.

Guys any comments on $300 for mounts? i mean arent they easy on a hoist with the headers out already?

Thread Information