Thread: LT's with Cats?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

LT's with Cats?

Looks like I might be moving soon and as much as I hate to say it...im gonna have to pass emissions where im moving.........my trans am has LT's, ORY, and no cats. Any suggestions on cats for a setup like mine? I know the first thing most people usually get rid of when they get long tubes are the cats...but im gonna have to have them on my car if I move.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have two SLP high flow cats on mine and I make over 360rwhp with just bolt on's and I pass NJ inspection.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Where are you moving to? Unless they do a sniffer, you'll be able to pass if they plug into your OBDII port and you're rear 02s are tuned out.

I assume you checked the state regulations where you are going?

Some states only do an OBDII scan and send you on your way. Other states sniff the car, and a few states won't even allow you to move the cats from their original location (aka: no long tube headers).

If it were mine and I needed cats to pass, since I already run an off road Y like yourself, I would buy another Y-pipe setup complete with cats and toss that on the car for the test, then reinstall the off road setup afterwards. Most places only test every couple years, and it's relatively easy to swap. I'd just package up the Y/cat setup for next time, and running it for such a short time you'd get a lifetime out of those cats without worry of expensive replacement down the road

That's what I would do.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Where are you moving to? Unless they do a sniffer, you'll be able to pass if they plug into your OBDII port and you're rear 02s are tuned out.
    Im gonna look into this...Its Nashville, TN "Franklin, TN to be exact". I know they do the gas cap test, OBDII scan, and walk a mirror around under the car because I've seen them do it to a buddy's car who lives up there. As far as them actually sticking something in the exhaust, im not sure about that...If they know what they are looking for, i'd fail the mirror test
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-14-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Thread Information