Thread: LT's

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

LT's

Does installing LT's on your car require anything past the Y-Pipe to be relocated? I understand you need a different Y-Pipe if you install LT's due to the length of the headers, put does that just mean the Y-Pipe is a lot shorter than stock, and the cat/exhaust still sit at the same location, or does installing LT's require everything to be adjusted?

Right now Im trying to get LT's, and a Y Pipe installed, but keep the factory cat and exhaust. Next month, I plan to replace those as well, I just want to make sure I can do it in that order, and not have to replace everything at once due to LT's.

Any experts?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

LT and factory cats = cannot do this. LT move the location of the cats. You could use shorty headers to keep your stock cat location, but not too much HP improvement for the cost. Not sure what your options are out there in sunny San Diego as far as headers go. Rainy and 39 degrees here this morning. My Hookers and ORY and most others connect to the same spot where the cat back exhausts do. Everything before the factory cat back is adjusted.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

okay I see. So if the location of the factory cat will change as well, Im assuming that the factory intermediate pipe (if thats whats its called..the pipe from the cat to the muffler) will not work either, since the cat will change location.

I guess if you are going with longtubes, you pretty much have to replace the entire exhaust all at once

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ketterms View Post
    okay I see. So if the location of the factory cat will change as well, Im assuming that the factory intermediate pipe (if thats whats its called..the pipe from the cat to the muffler) will not work either, since the cat will change location.

I guess if you are going with longtubes, you pretty much have to replace the entire exhaust all at once
    The intermediate pipe you are describing is usually termed the I-pipe. You do have to pretty much replace the entire exhaust with LTs except maybe the catback. I would just wait another month and do it all at once
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

[QUOTE=ketterms;470351

I guess if you are going with longtubes, you pretty much have to replace the entire exhaust all at once[/QUOTE]

Not really, I have the same cat back as before my LT. It could still be all OE cat back if you want. Look under your car to see where the cat back connects, you'll see. Just behind the driveshaft tunnel brace is where all cat-backs connect.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If your picking up longtubes and ory your i pipe back will connect just fine.
    If you plan on reataining your cats you will have too pick up some high flow cats so they can be tucked away.
    lt's and stock cats do not go together.
    Just pick up an ory and go without cats.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The catback should connect fine with whatever setup you go with, it's just the cats that will need adjustments.

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

How are all of you people who use ORY's passing state inspections?
    I have been trying to do some research on this but if these are illegal in all 50 states how is this possible? do you change out once a year for inspection?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No inspections in my state....or at least not here in Indy.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ztwenty8 View Post
    How are all of you people who use ORY's passing state inspections?
    I have been trying to do some research on this but if these are illegal in all 50 states how is this possible? do you change out once a year for inspection?
    my county does not check emissions. but if i got pulled over and the cop checked under the car, i would be in trouble

Green

No state inspections in SC either. And back in VA I worked at a shop and got my sticker for free. The only trouble with that would be if I was pulled over. They can make you change your exhaust and you would have to go to court with all of the reciepts. In CA dont they give you the sniffer test? You would also fail the visual inspection with the modified location of the stock cats. I dont have any worries in SC. My y bolted right up to the i pipe.
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...98Camarod3.jpg
    241's l Comp XER 230/230 Cam l SS4000 l Juice

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

nun round here ethier.

black
    04 silverado

I don't know about emissions, but dynatech makes a killer lt header, y-pipe, w/ high flow cats, all ss, very nice, and it retains all 02 sensors, and doesn't trip the check engine light. As far as a visual exam, get it coated black, alot less conspicious, and harder to see from under the car, you could probably do this in your back yard, or take it to a shop.

Thread Information