LT headers question

I'm trying to plan out what I'm trying to do next on my 98 z28. Already got a lid, p&p TB, slp LM2, and a new shifter. The next logical thing would be a intake and LT headers. The thing I'm worrying about is emissions - I'm planning to get these ebay headers(Stainless steel and 1 7/8"):

Speed Engineering LS1 Camaro Firebird Longtube Headers 1 7 8" Race Version | eBay

In addition to that would be TSP Catted Y. On the header though will be no AIR/EGR fittings so the plan is to get the AIR/EGR/Rear O2 sensors tuned out (probably mail-order by frost) which will be needed anyway when I get the ls6 intake b/c of the EGR. Will I be able to pass emissions without the AIR/EGR when I tune them out? I will still have cats b/c of the catted y. I live in North Carolina and MIGHT be able to find a inspection center that will over-look the visual inspection.

Thanks for the help

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Azchan63 View Post
    I'm trying to plan out what I'm trying to do next on my 98 z28. Already got a lid, p&p TB, slp LM2, and a new shifter. The next logical thing would be a intake and LT headers. The thing I'm worrying about is emissions - I'm planning to get these ebay headers(Stainless steel and 1 7/8"):

Speed Engineering LS1 Camaro Firebird Longtube Headers 1 7 8" Race Version | eBay

In addition to that would be TSP Catted Y. On the header though will be no AIR/EGR fittings so the plan is to get the AIR/EGR/Rear O2 sensors tuned out (probably mail-order by frost) which will be needed anyway when I get the ls6 intake b/c of the EGR. Will I be able to pass emissions without the AIR/EGR when I tune them out? I will still have cats b/c of the catted y. I live in North Carolina and MIGHT be able to find a inspection center that will over-look the visual inspection.

Thanks for the help
    I can't really comment on fitment or if those headers are good as I don't have them. I had OBX ones which were pretty good with only minor fitment issues. Kooks are another brand that I have never heard anyone having issues with them. If NC is anything like Northern VA (I specified thst because Northern VA is the only part of VA that has emissons lol)you will be fine. In most states they just plug into the OBII connection to see if you have any emissions codes and if they do a "visual inspection" it is just to see if you have cats. In most states they don't care as long as they are there. Just get the EGR and rear O2 sensor codes tuned put and you will be good to go I would think.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On any of the less costly headers, make certain that the O2 sender points down into the pipe (meaning that the bung is welded on above the centerline of the collector).

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Pay a few extra bucks and go with Kooks. No problems, no issues and they fit like they should.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

I live in NC with headers/catted Y, and if you get the codes tuned out like you mention, you will pass emissions just fine. I have yet to have anyone visually inspect my emissions equipment, they just run the OBD II port.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Pay a few extra bucks and go with Kooks. No problems, no issues and they fit like they should.
    This. ^^

I've had Kook's and American Racing recommended to me by people I trust in these matters. ARH is a little more affordable than Kook's. Other than these two, I would not bother.

I do not have headers yet primarily because I'm "saving up" for the good brand... or rather, just putting it off until I CAN save up for them.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Azchan63 View Post

Thanks for the help
    Oh, and as far as your next mod, have you considered chassis/suspension?
    My first mod was some 2-point subframe connectors from UMI. At the time, there were no 3-points available for my convertible, otherwise, I'd have bought those. They changed the car dramatically and for the better. Subframe connectors and bigger sway bars (I bought the Strano bars) will do wonders for these cars (in my opinion). The ease of install for both of these mods is also nice... especially for how much they improve the car.

Thread Information